Founders never wanted to block religious expression

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I don't believe I'm stupid or ignorant, but I do believe the founding fathers were very clear on their intention to prevent the government from favoring any one religion, as that's the first step towards banning the others.

No, I don't think you are either one either. As I said, it's those who believe the intent was to create a nationally favored religion and/or those who believe it is ok to restrict (Christian) prayer and observations who are the stupid and ignorant ones. That is not at all the intent.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you think about it Chef, freedom to worship makes more sense than freedom of religion. There are all kinds of wacko churches out there just as dangerous, if not more dangerous than Islam. All kinds of weirdo cults and anti-government organizations exist in this country in the name of "religion".David Koresh comes to mind. Some of those nut job split off Mormons like Jeffrey Lundgren..All practicing criminals and murderers under the guise of freedom of religion.

While I might have some VERY strong PERSONAL beliefs about David Koresh, he was CONVICTED of NOTHING in a court of law and there for NOT a practicing criminal or murderer under OUR REAL Constitution.

Any number of left wing anti American, anti Constitution wacko groups are allowed to practice their swill and do so without ANY fear of prosecution from this Administration. The "New Black Panther" party comes to mind.

Our government has been overstepping it's bounds of freedom of religion for over 100 years. They had no LEGAL right under the Constitution to do what they did to the Mormans. At least in my opinion.

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Any number of left wing anti American, anti Constitution wacko groups are allowed to practice their swill and do so without ANY fear of prosecution from this Administration.

Or any administration as your next statement indicates.

Our government has been overstepping it's bounds of freedom of religion for over 100 years. They had no LEGAL right under the Constitution to do what they did to the Mormans.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Or any administration as your next statement indicates.

Yep, our Government has been out of control for years. It is getting worse at a faster rate. Right now, it is the Obama Administration that is in charge. Right now, I blame it. We shall see what happens when a new administration in voted in. I hope that the next one believes in our Constitution and does everything it can to reverse all of the damage that has taken place over the years. Our freedoms MUST be restored.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Freedom must be seized.. It isn't going to be "restored" by anyone...

When I say things like that I am called a "radical right wing nut". It might come to that soon. I agree, it is up to the People to take back control of our freedoms. It must first be tried at the ballot box but other means can be used if needed. Freedom is more important that anything else. Life without freedom is not worth it.

nightshift

Expert Expediter
It also needs to be remembered that the 1st Amendment was a restriction on the Federal Government, like all of the Bill of Rights. This did not prevent State Governments from establishing, supporting, or suppressing religions in their respective States, in fact several of the States had State sponsored religions. The freedom of religion being "transformed" to the freedom of worship is lock step with the Soviet model. If freedom of worship is adopted and accepted as the law of the land, which the current Supreme Court will do, then freedom of religion as we know it will become a Federally controlled issue. We will be able to openly worship but only what the Gov't tells us, when the Gov't tells us and where the Gov't tells us.

As for the Mosque issue, if the Muslims want to prove that it is intended as a place of healing for NYC then they should be willing to change the date of the ground breaking. The Muslim faith is big on symbolism, especially in dates things occur, having the ground breaking on the 12th of Sept is a symbolic move aimed right at the taking down of the twin towers, a show of victory for them. If it is meant as anything else then they should be willing to change the date.

Pilgrim

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As for the Mosque issue, if the Muslims want to prove that it is intended as a place of healing for NYC then they should be willing to change the date of the ground breaking. The Muslim faith is big on symbolism, especially in dates things occur, having the ground breaking on the 12th of Sept is a symbolic move aimed right at the taking down of the twin towers, a show of victory for them. If it is meant as anything else then they should be willing to change the date.

If these Muslims were the least bit tuned in to the "sensitivity", "healing" and "diversity" that everyone else is supposed to adopt to accomodate them, they would build this mosque somewhere else miles away from Ground Zero. The reality of the situation is they couldn't give a tinker's dam about the feelings of the NYC population; you're exactly right about their emphasis on symbolism, and this mosque will be a monument to their successful attack and massacre of 3000 innocent civilians - or in their way of thinking, 3000 infidels. Mayor Bloomberg should be tarred and feathered for showing compassion towards these barbarians.

If the construction of this monument to terrorism comes to pass, I suppose the next projects we'll be reading about will be a Shinto shrine on Ford Island (Pearl Harbor) or perhaps a bronze statue of Timothy McVeigh across the street from the Murrah building in Oklahoma City.