Forklift damage. Who pays?

DocRushing

Expert Expediter
Crazynuff:
C.R. England and Sons is based in Salt Lake City.
You can find out the name of England's insurer by calling the Utah Department of Transportation or the Utah Public-service Commission.
Then you can contact the insurer.
If I were in your position, I would not fall for the bluff of the claims clerk whom you quoted.
She quoted her company's wish, not a rule of law.
If the insurer gives you a hard time, then you can contact the Utah Department of Insurance and ask for help.
Good luck!
Doc.

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
A cheap digital camera makes reporting damages a thing to have. WAy back in the 60'd I owned a GMC Vandura. I ran for a Courier company from Toronto. They sent me on an expedite run from Toronto to Hamilton Ontario. The lift truck operator put in in ok, but the dude in Hamilton, dropped the big metal container on the sliding door runner. Needless to say I could not close the door. If I had a camera, I could have gotten a body job done from Stelco. They did take a big metal pry and bend the metal so I could close the door.
Now by having the digiital camera. I can send E mail to Risk Management, and they would work on the recieving company for compensation.

Don
Coffee Hound

>Twice I have had fork lift damage done to the rear header of
>my truck.One instance the operator was half drunk and
>slammed into it 3 times.The other time was unloading at Ft
>Benning a inexperienced young soldier took the freight off
>and for some strange reason raised the freight up and went
>forward. In both cases I reported it to my carrier,did not
>leave until I had the damage inspected by a supervisor/Staff
>Sgt and the shipper paid.Cameras were very useful.
:9

Trucker don

Expert Expediter
RE: I needed my cameras

<STUFF DELETED>. The England
>trailer had fresh paint flakes on the rear bumper and
>measurements were consistent with the damage on my truck .
>The police report said when confronted with the evidence the
>England driver said he was unsure he caused the damage .
>Another driver also gave me info as a witness . When I
>called England's claims department on Monday they told me
>their driver said he was accused of an incident and if I
>didn't have a witness they wouldn't pay . When I picked up
>the police report they listed England's insurance carrier as
>unknown . I thought trucks were required to carry proof of
>insurance . There are lessons to be learned from this .
>ALWAYS do a walk-around of your truck before starting out
>again , even if you've only been parked a few minutes . Be
>sure to get at least one witness if possible and offer
>yourself as a witness if you observe an incident . Carrying
>a tape measure as well as a camera helps a lot and be sure
>to have a bright flashlight to inspect damage at night .
>Luckily no lights or other parts involving safety were
>damaged and my truck can be operated until actual repairs
>can be made .

In my permit book, I have a copy of the Insurance company. I'm not sure if you are lease on to a company. Your Risk Management can access that info for you. Also a Lawyer can subpena the driver's tracking on his qualcomm. That would be prove enough to prove he was in that location at that time. Again that would cost money for a lawyer.

Before I left, I'd have asked the Police officer to get that info for me.

Don
Coffee Hound

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
RE: I needed my cameras

I asked the police officer for the info . He told me he couldn't give it to me then , that it would be on the police report . The police report didn't have insurance info . It had my info . His info was listed as " unknown " . I'm an owner/operator and have to provide my own NTL and physical damage coverage so my carrier doesn't see any need to be involved . My insurance agent advised me to deal with the claim myself and file a claim with them as a last resort if the other party is unwilling to settle .

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Thanks , Doc . No , I won't be bluffed . Since damage was fairly minor and I can still use the truck I'm under no pressure to settle . England must get a lot of accident claims because I'm on hold 30 - 45 minutes every time I call . I belong to the OOIDA and may get them involved . Anyone should have more sense to be denied a claim but I feel there are some drivers out there that ate the damage because they didn't have the witness they were told they needed .