Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
yep I missed the wedding

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones
Home is Wherever you Park.
The Price of Freedom is Written on the Wall.

grog111

Seasoned Expediter
Those are excellent point's moot! I've been looking at this thread, and wanting to comment, but it's an emo issue for me. I have a pre teen daughter and i'm aware enough to understand exactly what Janet is talking about. And i'm also completely aware of what Jim was saying when he started this thread. I know he's not talking to everyone, and he's not slamming anyone, (whether they realize it or not), but it's important to look at these type of issue's. Unfortunetly i've run into,(as i'm sure we all have), too many cowboy type's who, when thing's get too real at home, have this "I gotta get outta Dodge" attitude instead of actually dealing with the problems. When thing's at home work out, it's because of thier good gene's, or because those kid's know when dad get's home he'll crack some skull's! Of course when thing's go wrong, it's all that stupid lazy ignorant woman's fault. What's my point here? Well, i left Landstar partly for those reason's. I found that it's too important for me to be around. Sure, technology is great, what with E-mail and text messaging and cell phones and all, but it's not the same as physically being there. I think the quality vs. quantity arguement is kinda weak, i mean, if you're around enough, the quality moments will come, rest assured. Plans are great. But spontaneity and dealing with real life situations as they come up teach our kid's valuable lessons on how societel issue's are solved. I think when you look at today's culture, and the message our kid's are getting from music and T.V. where there is no right or wrong or common decency. There is no respect, because there are no consequences. Look at the role model's...Paris Hilton? Lindsay Lohan? Britney Spears? Snoop Dogg? 50 Cent? Tupac? Sheesh! Does anyone else see a problem? HMMMM...I'm starting to sound like my own father....Guess it's time to climb down off the old soap box :+

joebob1_30132

Expert Expediter
Jaminjim..An honest post ..and the answer for me was that I was missing out on the raising of My daughter. i fely like i wasnt in the trenches ..day to day ..making breakfast,seeing her vollyballgames, checking her tire presure (Its all abou the fuel baby!).. doing her project assignment that was given on a monday due on friday ,,but I wasnt told till thurday night (who hadnt been there)..Just my personal belief... I heard through a very ggod source ..Lets just say I call her sunshine ;) that heard the projection for freight was going to go down..for 07 and thought It was time to go back to school ..getting my class A, study excel and word,, and Im taking spanish...just in case my next employer dosnt speak english..x( x( and I have saved enough to take ..2months off bills paid school paid to reaquaint myself with my daughter..after 2.5 years on the road.. my opinion for myself jammin I agree I couldnt parent effectivly ..Im just not that good.. She calls me Dad and she hopes and anticipates I act like one. My time for the road will come after shes out of school..no judgement peeps just my situation.

are12

Expert Expediter
I have read and re-read this post, trying to figure out exactly what it is all supposed to mean. So far, I haven't really came up with anything, other than the fact, that it is being insinuated that unless you are home with your family every night, that you are not much of a father. Maybe I am reading more into it than I should but here is my thought on this post.

I come from a family of 9 children. My Dad did not drive truck for a living but he was an iron welder, that worked away most of the time. We usually only saw him on the weekends. Did that make him less of a
father figure to us? No. Did that mean we loved him any less? No. Do we feel we were deprived of not having a father at home every night? No.

The one thing I do know, is we looked forward to him coming home. It meant, church on Sunday, going for ice cream, doing yard work together, or working in the garden. Playing in the yard until well after dark - with him hiding in the trees!:+ :+ Sleigh riding in the winter, swimming in the summer, and the list can go on and on of all the great memories of my childhood.

Does my father regret not being home every night? Sure he does but I reassure him, that we were all fine because we knew he loved us and did what he had to do - to keep food on the table and clothes on our back. Out of 9 childred, we all grew up just fine. We are all healthy, happy and make a decent living. Do I contribute any of this to my father? Sure I do, he made us realize you have to work for what you want - that it is just not handed to you.

Does my Mom feel she was a single mother? When I asked her, she said no, she knew my Dad would be home Friday night and that he would take care of things she couldn't. My Mom also worked a full time job, leaving the older kids to help with the younger ones, so does that make her less of a mother? I don't think so!

The one thing I hate seeing out here on the road is a family that lives in a truck. I would rather see the father spending time away from his family than to have a child on a truck. It is dangerous enough for us to be out here everyday but a child.... What are some people thinking???