Flat Rate Trucks

xracer

Seasoned Expediter
I would like to know if the flat rate trucks are making any money. Talked to a flat rate guy. He told me he was very busy and had done some WG loads also. My questions would be: Do they sit longer to keep fedex from paying alot of money for DH? If you are in a express center with a flat rate truck do you get picked over on the cheep loads? Are they charging WG rate to customer and paying fate rate to the truck? I know with these high fuel prices I hav had to increase my pay-per-mile to hit my bottom line. Any Comments on this?

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
The only time I run into flat rate trucks/drivers is on load transfers, and they never seem happy.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using EO Forums

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
When we were flat rate we rarely sat. 16000 miles for a team and 8000 miles a month for a solo is doable.
We came back as a percentage truck and are doing great.

Sent from my PG06100 using EO Forums

skipr4520

Seasoned Expediter
We fair well some weeks and some weeks we dont, depends on the service centers we go in to. As far as drivers seeming to be unhappy on load swaps, I can believe that, but have you ever met a driver at one time or another who is happy 100% of the time? I love what I do and do what I love, I have been doing it for over 15 years and absolutely LOVE IT. There are times when we arent happy, could be from sitting in an unproductive service center for "an extended period of time" or something like that, but I never let it bother me to the point of it showing at a shipper/recvr or talking to other drivers. We take the good with the bad, sometimes we take a loss to make a gain, but have been happy working for FDCC and ES for the most part. Good people on both ends.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
SLOW??? Yesterday Thur I called a good friend of mine who I trained and now is runnning a flat rate Tractor Trailer. He has work all the way through next week. So the old Dog and Poney show of it being slow thats not so. I was running realy good as a single then got a team and hit the wall so to speak. If your in an area that got anything specializeed U but better stay put and doing it. Jan and Feb area always some bad months to run But in the past I always seem to do good. This year started good, but after getting teamed loads been a canx. I think alot has got to do with The Deficit of the Country and Companies beening scared, Inventories are another. But then again This Country went to Cooperate Farming and the farmer cant make a what once he did. Trucking going the same way. Lease a truck and run fregiht for free Prime big example for their Expedite as well as CR England just to name a few. Catchy words your own business ect. Them boys running for what they are, when their is a big major break down they will be outa business. Prices of freight have fallen some since the 80 but the price of fuel and and Rubber and parts have sky rocketed. Tolls have as well.
If Big companies want to cornor the market and pay less then they need to issue out and pay for the EZpasss and Pre-pass for each trucks and then Freight might just get hauled as the owners wont have to worry about the tolls, just the fuel take it and go think about it. lot less headaches for the dispatchers more loads will get covered faster if you think about it the company overall may have a higher expense but Im willing to bet the more loads will get done and less refusels, like I said less Calls and a whole lot less headaces for the dispatchers they wont have to pull their hair out. Dont have to have a College Degree Just Common Sense.
That is all.

Attachments

• 576620_439142322782595_100000604946092_1541418_1696929886_n.jpg
    576620_439142322782595_100000604946092_1541418_1696929886_n.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 236
Last edited: