::: FL Sprinter :::

pamc

Expert Expediter
Question: Does anyone out there run a sprinter with towing capabilities? I was wondering if, to add cargo capacity and capability, whether anyone tows a cargo trailer? As to the need?

Thanks,
J-

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you want 5000 pounds cargo capacity go to a C unit so you get C unit pay. That will also put you dock high which will open up many additional opportunities. Vans are already overtaxed by companies requiring 3000 pounds on a one ton van. I realize I'm old so maybe my memory isn't so good and I know times have changed but in school I learned one ton is 2000 pounds and I'm pretty sure it still is. No one ton van should be asked to carry over 2000 pounds. My .02 for whatever it's worth.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
My "1-ton" van can haul 2500# set up the way it is. That puts me at my GVW. It would be more without sleeper and all the stuff I carry for 2 weeks out.

captain

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
The true capacity of a one ton van is the Gvwr minus it's unloaded weight. My GMC 3500 has a GVWR of 9500 lbs, it's empty weight is 6020, so the actual maximum weight I can carry is 3480 lbs. Thats one ton plus 1480 lbs, so the name "one ton van" really isn't an accurate measure of it's capacity.

Captain

xkmail

Expert Expediter
A 1/2 ton, 3/4 ton, 1 ton is actually not a correct term. Its only a generic term used by manufacturers to denote the ability to hold/haul weight. It was probably useful back in the 1950's, but I see no logic in it now. My neighbor has a 1 ton dodge dually and hauls around a backhoe weighing 13,500 plus his 4000 lbs trailer on a 5th wheel, tongue weight over 4000 lbs, most truck 5th wheels can hold over 6000 lbs.
Heres another term.
For example one horsepower is = 33,000 foot lbs per minute.
Move 33,000 lbs one foot in one minute.
Move 36,500 lbs one foot in two minutes.
So If you can carry 100 lbs, 330 feet in one minute, you have one HP (100X330=33,000), but if you got it there is 30 seconds you have two hosepower.
Also 1hp = 748 watts. Burn a 100 watt light bulb for 7.48 hours and you have used up 1hp.
Ever see those nice skil saws rated at 3 HP, but only use 1200 watts of electricity, its BS. A 3hp saw should use 2244 watts, which would technically blow you 20 amp outlet...
Do the math. Your truck weighs 10,000 lbs loaded and you are doing 60mph. How much HP are you using?
Now do 60mph up a 4% grade with same load. Watch the RPM'S increase, now you know how much HP that 4% takes. And by the book, the wind drag on a truck eats up almost 30-50hp..
When loading your truck with weight the highway patrol can pull you over and quick weigh your vehicle. You must be under weight per axle, per vehicle, and per tire. People who run cheap tires can sometimes lessen their vehicles ability to carry a full load.
You must also not be heavy loaded to one side or the other by usually 500 lbs per tire side.
So read your tires. If you have a 20,000 lbs rear axle ( limit is actually 19,000 lbs) you need a tire that will hold 5000 lbs each on a dually. If you run cheap tires rated at 3000 lbs, then that axle can only carry 12,000 lbs, even if axle is rated at 20,000 lbs.
Jsut bored here with facts, need work.

theend

Expert Expediter
How much will you pay for a van/trailer vs a truck?
How many more loads will come your way if you can dock? (A lot)
You implied you would carry part of the load in the van. How much time are you going to lose by removing the trailer? Time's money.
How will it effect your mpg's?
How will it effect your tolls?
How will it effect your ins?
Does it put you in a different class with the 3rd axle, weight, and comb veh?
You lose the ability to manuever in tight situations. U-turns in a Sprinter are a breeze.
In bad weather you only have to get out to open a back door on a trk, and put down landing gear. You can carry more. You don't have to worry about how to get it out. You don't annoy forklift drivers.
You have to include repairs to the trailer in your budget. Tires, frame, box, bulbs, etc.
They may be out there, but I haven't seen expediter's hauling a trailer.
If you are sitting on a load over the weekend you can't unhook it, so to do any siteseeing you have to haul it around with you.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
so companies like egl won't let you run a trailer with a van
as they call it unsecured trailer as someone could undo your trailer from the van and run away with the trail as i ask about it
once and that is what they told me at egl

they said in so many words if you want trailer get a big truck

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I agree with Geo. Most commercial companies will void your insurance if you pull a trailer behind a van. Hot shot trucks (pickup pulling trailer) are rated differently. That is why you never see an expediter with a trailer in tow.

Davekc

maineak

Expert Expediter
I have a 2005 Sprinter, and had a draw-tite hitch installed. I wouldnt recomend hauling around a cargo trailer-I seriously doubt you would ever get dispatched a load that a customer would feel secure about going in a cargo trailer. I have, however, hauled a expedite load that was a trailer from Houston, TX to Charlotte, NC. It was a BBQ Pit/Smoker. I put the hitch on to make myself more available, the same reason I got out of my Ford van and went to a Sprinter. I am constantly amazed at what people expedite.

Been at it 10 months, learning every day.

.jt.

I YAM WHAT I YAM

pamc

Expert Expediter
Adding to the question...

Tell me the deal with Freightliner Sprinter vs. the Dodge Sprinter.
I assume since the Freightliner has the Mercedes engine and Dodge is owned by Daimler-Chrysler (Mercedes) ... that these are the same vehicles? Is the FL dropping the Sprinter, and Dodge picking it up ... or is it kinda like the relationship between Ford and Lincoln-Mercury??

Just curious. I did price search on the Dodge site and got a sticker of about $37k. What would be the number with FL ... and would there be (is there) a difference.

Thanks again,
Jerry

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I heard they were all going to go to Dodge at some point but that doesn't seem to be happening yet anyway. Pricing should be about the same. Check www.edmunds.com as well. They have a thing called true market value pricing that gives you an idea of how much discount off sticker you should expect. Good luck.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

pamc

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the feedback. Is there any difference in the actual units between FL and Dodge? Is one better than the other -- or of (possibly) a better value than the other?

Thanks,
Jerry

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
As far as I know they are identical except for badging. I doubt there would be an advantage to one over the other.

Leo Bricker
OOIDA 677319
truck 4958
73's K5LDB

greg334

Veteran Expediter
There is no difference between the two. the Sprinter is made by Mercedes. In Europe as a Mercedes and they (D-C) thought it would be better to market under Freightliner but chrysler needed a van and D-C did not want to have competing trucks in the same market. I hear this from the guys who are trying to better market the Sprinter to get more sales away from Ford and GM, but they hae a long way to go.