Five Pointed Stars

slfisher45

Expert Expediter
Driving around the midwest and eastern states I see a lot of five pointed stars attached to homes and out buildings. They are different sizes but all seem to be five pointed. Any real meaning to these adornments? I have googled this query but no results.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
I think that started in Texas by Dallas Cowboy fans and by Texans proud to be in the Lone Star State. The stars are mostly manufactured in Asia and distributed throughout the USA. I think there is no significance other than people like them for decorations. We similarly see spread winged eagles decorating many houses for the same reasons.

jackdixon_2000

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Google "barn stars" They have an Amish background and were considered good luck. But as Terry says they are mostly just ornamental.

lanier1

Seasoned Expediter
It has always been my understanding that the Eagles with wings spread on the house meant it was paid for.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
The stars could mean nothing, something, or a combination of things. The origin was Pagan, with the five points being assigned the meaning of the five essentials for life, Earth, Fire, Water, Air and Spirit. The Church adopted it, declared all things Pagan as evil, and reassigned the points as being the head, outstretched arms and legs of man. Over the aeons it evolved to mean many other things, as well, including the Star of Bethlehem, Don't Mess with Texas, a deep need to connect to the cosmos and'or something larger than ourselves (how many national flags around the world feature star or other symbols of the cosmos?), tacky (in the eye of the beholder) decoration, or a celebration of this or that holiday.

It could also be, and in some cases it absolutely is, an updated version of its displayed meaning during WW II:

Brown star = Veteran of the military
Blue star = Family member currently serving in a War
Red star = Family member wounded in combat
Gold star = Lost a Family member in a War

But on most houses, it's just decoration. Nothing more.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
OK, I have two dumb questions;

Are these stars attached to the building by a nut or bolt in the center?

or are these stars colored in any way?

If the answers are no, than look at the picture below and tell us if this is what you are talking about.

Oh Just had to throw this one in, the service flag thing is something that has been regulated by the DoD since 1967 but prior to that it was not regulated as law but had a set of specs and guidelines for its manufacturing and use. It seems that the congress codified the need to regulate the manufaturing and distribution of the service flag and today there are not too many who can legally make one from what I can find out. I have several that were used in the family and from friend's family all from ww2, a lot of gold stars. I know one person who still has hers displayed since 1944 and was recently asked to take it down by someone connected with some home grown gold star group. She lost her husband and refused to remove it.

theoldprof

Veteran Expediter
On some VERY old houses, these stars are use somewhat like a huge washer. There will be a star on one side of the house, and a star on the other side of the house. They are secured together with a long threaded rod. The rod goes clear through the house to the opposite side. They are use like a long nut and bolt to keep the house from spreading apart due to age and settling. I'm not too sure if there is a meaning for the star except that the star is used in our flag and was relatively easy to make.
:+ :+

aquawarrior7

Expert Expediter
>Driving around the midwest and eastern states I see a lot of
>five pointed stars attached to homes and out buildings.
>They are different sizes but all seem to be five pointed.
>Any real meaning to these adornments? I have googled this
>query but no results.

Ok, I have recently noticed these as well.Some were white and some had a type of american flag look about them. I think I saw them in a small town in Michigan. Another note, At a lot of the houses I saw them at there were also "chrismas trees" on the porches only with white lights. The trees were very triangular and usually small (3 feettops).And at one house they had white lighted candles in the windows and also white lights like christmas decorations.
I made a yell to the back and had codriver come look at it as I thought it was odd enough. I only saw them in this one town though.
Hope that helps