First Load.....Trial by Fire! (pics too!)

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Well, I got back yesterday from my first hotshot load. Went to New Rockford, ND. It's an hour and a half west, and an hour north of Fargo. I left on Monday headed to Oklahoma City from Tulsa to pick up what was supposed to be a 5000lb load consisting of a 22ft long meat packing machine and two heavy vacuum pumps w/motors. When I got there they added 3 more pallets and 4560 more pounds! Needless to say, I was ticked-off! I told them we only agreed to 5000lbs and 3 items. I got them to add $200 to the price, making the load $1.70 per mile. When I scaled at the CAT scale I was 25960lbs! That is only 40lbs under my weight classification!

Along the way to Fargo I was scheduled to meet my boss at the Oklahoma/Kansas border. I stopped there to get some fuel and discovered that I lost my debit card, probably back at the CAT scale in OKC. I had to call my wife at 7:30pm and have her cancel the card at the bank which, thank God, closes at 8:00pm. I paid cash for my fuel and followed my boss into Kansas where he was nice enough to go to an ATM and get some cash for me out of his bank. We deposited it back into his account the next day.

While traveling north through the Dakotas I encountered a 40mph head wind coming out of the north which caused me to use alot of fuel. I got into Fargo on Tuesday evening around 9:30pm and the temp dropped to 12 degrees below zero! The next day I went to deliver the load and had to stand outside in 5 degree weather for 3 hours while they unloaded the equipment. (Thank God for insulated coveralls!)

I stayed in Fargo till Friday morning and then drove south on I-29 through a small blizzard in South Dakota and with head winds coming out of the south, this time at around 40-45mph! As I got into Missouri just north of St. Joseph the snow started coming down really hard. It stayed that way all the way into KC. The Highways were covered and I saw ALOT of accidents including a Fedex double that had the rear trailer peeled open like a sardine can. I got into KC around midnight on Friday.

My boss said that my first load was a trial by fire! He also said that if I could make it through that load, I could make it through any load.... I believe him!

Missed you all! Below is some pics of my truck and trailer with its first load.

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
Preacher,

Good job! Definately a trial by fire..LOL..

Glad you got thru it ok, and got your feet wet! Nice rig by the way.. I do love my Ford Pickups! We've used nothing but, in our family business for over 20 years.

The next ones GOTTA be easier!

Dreamer

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Sounds more like trial by ICE! Thanks for sharing. Those first load stories are always fun to read.

SHARP327

Veteran Expediter
The last and only time I ever went to Fargo, ND. was around this time last year and if I never have to go back (in the winter) it'll be too soon!

Seems that the Flying Hook there had some real nasty fuel containing water and debri which caused the truck to barely make it to an International dealer in MN., I thought they had corrected the problem by changing out the fuel filters and rock screen only to have the truck break down again this time having to be towed and all the filters replaced again plus this time the mechanic had enough sense to drain some fuel from the tanks!

The weather then was 24 below zero and it started getting pretty cold waiting for the tow truck, funny thing about it was everyone up there said you're lucky! yesterday it was 42 below and that's not wind chill either!

Just to let you know in case this ever happens to you, they'll (Flying J )just blow you off!, Even a call to the BBB didn't help, it ended up costing me in excess of $1200.00 in repairs and a missed run, Flying J said it was Maintenance neglect on my part regardless if the truck was brand new and only had 5000 miles on it!

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Hey there Preacher! Looks like they should call you FrostBite Express! :D

Nice rig also!

--
Mike N

Faster than a speeding poulet.

Owner/Operator Big 'B'
Experienced
10 years auto transport
2 years local/distance expedite
Laurel, MD (Washington DC area)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Preacher:

Welcome back. We're pleased you've goten a good start on what's sure to be a fruitful endeavor.

P.S. I don't see any business name or city on your truck, just numbers. Wassuup with that?

Terry

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Hi Terry! The name is on the window above the numbers. The name is in dark blue outlined in white. the numbers are all white. I"m driving for Hinton Transport, Hays, KS.

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Thanks Sharp327. Sounds like it was a good thing that I didn't buy fuel at the Hook. It was definately a bit frosty up there.

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Hey Preacher!

Not trying to be nosey. Wait. Who am I kidding!! ;) Yes I am being a bit nosey, hehehe.

Anyhow, what is the GVW on your sled and do you have a CDL?

--
Mike N

Owner/Operator Big 'B'
Experienced
10 years auto transport

Twmaster

Expert Expediter
Thanks for the reply Preacher.

I was asking about the trailer. What is the GVW on the trailer?

From your previous reply I am assuming the trialer is 15K# as the F-350 is 11K# IIRC.

Also, another dumb question. Do you have a medical card? I thought if you drove any truck/combination in interstate commerce (over 100 miles from your home base) you needed to have a medical card even if you did not have a CDL.

The reason I ask is back in the bad old days I used to haul cars in and out of NYC and got a ticket by the DOT in NJ for not having a medical card even though I did not have a CDL and was under 26K# but over 10K#.

--
Mike N

Owner/Operator Big 'B'
Experienced
10 years auto transport

Preacher

Expert Expediter
G'mornin' Mike. My truck is 10,000GVWR and the trailer is 15,000GVWR. I do have a DOT physical because it is required for anything over 10,000GVW.

I was flagged-over at 2 scales on this last trip, once while loaded (Missouri) and once while empty (S. Dakota). Both times they asked me to bring in my physical along with logs, registration and insurance. By the time I handed them my drivers license, my logs and my registration, they never even asked again for the physical or looked at it.

Preacher

Expert Expediter
Mike,

By-the-way, the trailer is actually a 20k# that has been re-stamped and registered at 15k#.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Expect to be pulled over at the scales quite a bit . For some reason DOT likes to pick on hotshots . I've seen plenty of them pulled over at the scales , especially in TN . They catch a lot of drivers over axle weight or without physical cards . I once knew a driver transporting a triaxle travel trailer that was ticket for being overweight on an axle . The manufacturer paid the ticket . I once delivered a toy hauler that weighed almost 14,000 lbs . By the time you load a couple of ATV's and load it with camping gear what do you think it'll weigh ?