Fine tune or practice your Pre-Trip Expedite Expo 2016

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
HELP save trouble down the road.

Sponsored by TA/Petro Stopping Centers

In addition to routine maintenance and repair, an inspection can reduce the risk of a breakdown; this can also provide you peace of mind. When you know your truck's safety features inside and out, you can take a load off your mind and drive with more ease.

If you operate a commercial vehicle, you need to know what's under the hood of your truck. Before hitting the road, commercial drivers should perform a pre-trip inspection to ensure the truck is safe to drive. We dare you to take the challenge with us!

Prizes to the top three Challenge winners - 1st place $500 TA Truck Service MasterCard Incentive Card, 2nd Place $300 TA Truck Service MasterCard Incentive Card and 3rd place $200 TA Truck Service MasterCard Incentive Card. Our Pre-Trip Challenges will happen each day at the show, Friday, 9:00am to 4:00pm and Saturday 9:00am to 12:00pm, booth #367.

During the 2015 Expedite Expo, TA/Petro sponsored a Pre-Trip Challenge that proved to be a learning experience and a challenge. The Pre-Trip Team placed over 30 defects in a used truck that was provided by FYDA Freightliner of Columbus, OH. Each of the defects were “hidden in plain sight” and finding them proved to be a challenge to the many participants. Most of the challengers found many of the defects but the winner with a score of 18 out of 30 was David Mayfield, a FedEx Custom Critical fleet owner. If you have what it takes to be a commercial motor vehicle operator, you should be anxious to represent your carrier and participate in this year’s pre-trip challenge. Perhaps you would even talk to your carrier about providing an incentive for you and other of your carrier’s contractors or employees participation. In conjunction with the Challenge, Homer Hogg, The TA/Petro, Technical Training Manager, with demonstrate proper and thorough pre-trip inspection techniques. This will be a unique learning opportunity where, in addition, all of the applied defects will be discussed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Moot and Turtle

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
The Pre Trip Challenge is designed to be educational and fun! Some of the defects are odd but can be a gotcha at a scale with an DOT officer just wanting to find something.

Give is a try and have some fun!

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Each of the defects were “hidden in plain sight” and finding them proved to be a challenge to the many participants.
It's those defects in plain sight that tend to get over looked. I was in the Minnesota ATA Truck Rodeo in the 5 axle flatbed class. I missed two 4 x 4s neatly placed; one at the front of the trailer and one at the rear. I saw them, but it didn't register. Had I touched one or both it may have occurred to me that neither was secured.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Moot - EXACTLY

There are some defects glaringly obvious while others you will just glance over and it will not register. The Pre Trip Challenge is meant also to be a learning tool for everyone. Not many women wanted to participate as they thought they would look silly.... That is the LAST thing we want anyone to think as all of us have to learn.

Everyone helping with the challenge had to learn somewhere and it is a lot easier to learn at the Expedite Expo then it is to learn at a scale house with an officer writing you a ticket.