Finding Drivers

Jacob

Seasoned Expediter
I can not believe how difficult it is find good drivers. We have advertised on this website, in local papers, even posting info at truck stops and can not find a qualified driver. In succession, I've had people go down to orientation who failed the drug screen, failed to disclosure incarcerations and have amnesia with their driving records.

My carrier's recruiting department is aloof and have outdated call sheets. We've gone to michwork.org to find laid off folks and nobody there can qualify or wants to work. I have a great solo in my truck who wants to team, but the labor pool is pretty shallow. Anybody out there have suggestions or ideas or know of a good wo/man in need of work?

I am a very honest owner and don't b.s. my drivers and expect the same from my drivers. I pay fuel and pay a good rate plus bonuses. My equipment is brand spanking new (bought in May). But I can't find anyone! Mine & my solo's patience is running thin. I don't want to switch carriers, especially during this time of the year. I would appreciate any readers input or suggestions.

I know of the national driver shortage and high turnover. But my luck has to break eventually, doesn't it?

Broompilot

Veteran Expediter
Please send me a private message thru EO with what your requirements are and pay scale. If I can help or pass it on I will try to help you out. Leased onto also.

G

What comapany is your truck leased too?

Drive Safe
David Mayfield
O/O since 1/27/95

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I would stay in constant contact with recruiting, and keep your ad updated here. Your biggest obstacle is finding someone that wants to team with a person they don't know. It wouldn't be my cup of tea regardless of wages.
Many times the logistics and personalities will be a hurdle as well.
Not an easy task to pair people together.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
JACOB: It is certainly slimm out there. Unfortunately, way too many of the "experienced folks" have been hosed, either by an owner or, a Carrier. This presents an attitude of "ya this is just another sham" and they don't do well, even given a grand opportunity. Takes them too long to figgure out they have a really good home and are asked to leave what could be a win, win opportunity. Owner Operators are the same. Most have unrealistic needs, meaning that they have dug their hole before they get to you, and expect YOU to catch them up. Recently there was a post on here from a fella whining about not being able to do 250K per annum in this business. Doing the math he was working a 5 day week. If i'd had his address i'd sent him some cheese and crackers to go with his whine. Amnesia, lazy, broke beyond belief, arrogance, ignorance, illness, personal agendas, i've seen them all. Thirty something in the last two years. I have quit looking, and am doing it myself. It's much, much better. GOOD LUCK

sixwheeler

Expert Expediter
Did that once and once only, never again...the guy showed up to pick me up with nose ring attached, what a freak. He had a mirror on the sun visor and used to sit and stare at himself. His driving ability left a lot to be desired, it made me afraid to sleep. We were up in canada and on the way out of a service area he rolled down his window and tossed garbage out the window like an animal. The guy that owned the truck set this up and of course all he wanted was the revenue that a team provides. The whole deal only lasted about a week, I had to get out. He got into screaming at dispatchers because he could NEVER find places.

Jacob

Seasoned Expediter
I keep in vigorous contact with recruiting about my needs & such, but like i said they are aloof. Either don't have drivers, don't care, don't know. I even wrote the VP and got a cookie cutter reply. It's still nice he took the time to do that.

I try carefully to team peope up. Close geographically, driving habits, life stage, smoking preference, experience and give applicants opportunity to speak to each other prior to accepting a job. Sometimes it's great and sometimes it's a disaster.

garman351

Expert Expediter
(Finding good drivers)
I have wanted to add on more teams to my little company,but I'm scared to take a chance hiring People who will end-up destroying my trucks,ruining my business relationship with the Company we haul for simply because they do not care etc.

I can see why husband & wife teams are the best, "settle down Gomer" their is a lot of good quality solos out there as well? But finding them is almost impossible it seems.

Treating drivers with respect and decent wages is half the battle to keep quality People. The problem is most drivers feel they are not getting enought money. But they do not understand the other side of the coin for the owner and their major out of pocket expenses. I pay out four different tax bill's every quarter,Accountant,maintenance bill's, misc monthly bill's on & on. Oh lets not forget keeping everything paid for the 2 1/2 months during the slow season.

In the end is it worth all the trouble, I wonder???

Garman351

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
Night creature

Thats not nessarly so, I for one dont own my own truck
how ever only been driving since May 19th 2005 and working for Fedex since June 8th.

The type of person Retired Service Member,
Drive Tractor Trailer
Quals White Glove
Tval
Lead Driver

Have a Safe One

Kev

G

as for an owner if u treat your drivers good and give no bs then they should be happy but everyone knows there are people out there not matter what you do they will never be happy

for me never complained about the money even during the slow season
for me the truck i was in we got 40 minus the fsc and owner paid for everything
but like this owner all they cared about was making money an not keeping their drivers happy and kept giving lame excuses on why certain things werent done or then if for some reason you had to go home a day earlier than planned they gave you some line about how your screwing them and this and that but yet never said a word about the fact u stayed out a extra week or 2 but u say your heading home and holy cow its like you slapped the money out their mouths
if u back what u say 100 percent and dont make empty promises or show your drivers lack of respect than u should be able to get new drivers
thats why i love this new owner i am with her and her ex husband have done nothing but done everything they said they would do
and more

cowboyz

Expert Expediter
Just wondering how the company you work for handles puting students on board, Do you as a owner have to ride and train them? Right out of school do they still have to take drivers test? say for FEDEX, Have thought about doing this, But not sure about the process. Seems this would be the best way to go. Then you have got to worry about the ware on a truck from a unseasoned driver. Then do you train two at the time? I would think one would want a team, Say on a DR unit.

To Gain Respect One Must First Give Respect

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
I for one dont own my own truck
how ever only been driving since May 19th 2005 and working for Fedex since June 8th 2005.

I paid for my own school (CDS Tractor Trailer In Thornburg VA)

I was Trained by My first Boss Wayne.

The rest is history as the Man Bless his heart that I work for now
got some-one that was already Trained.

The biggest thing about me is I like to Work I like to Run, If they keep me busy I will stop calling: I also Like to work on the Truck and Trailer. I save the boss money when I do it vice A TA or A Freightliner. Alot of Drivers won't climb up on top a trailer to replace a lite. Ect. I do more than that but I think ya get the pic.

What do I think I deserve?

Get the runs to make the monie so I can support my family.
so I can go home more often than once every 6-8 weeks.
for only 2 days or should I say 36 to 48 hours wow maybe 72.

Note I stay out long peroids because I can't afford to go in.
I don't make enough.

The type of person Retired Service Member,
Drive Tractor Trailer
Quals White Glove
Tval
Lead Driver

Have a Safe One

Kev
[email protected]

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Jacob: I wish I could say that your luck has to change, but when two unrelated and uncommitted (to each other) drivers share that small space 24/7, it usually doesn't last for a long time. Personality conflicts will arise, resentments will surface, and the partnership will crumble, in most cases. Long term, successful relationships of unrelated codrivers are rare, because the personality and ego clashes that inevitably occur aren't overcome by a deep personal commitment to the other person. Like love, it's a blessing when it happens, but you can't wish it into being - it happens, or it doesn't.

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
if you live near a military base call the job asst center
where people who are getting out of military are looking for a job
and they will post it world wide on there want ad's and there is no cost and help someone out who is getting out

bigjoep89

Expert Expediter
Concrete truck driver 15 years
Concrete sales mgr, 13 years.
Expediter 1.5 years.

Try contacting your local truck driving school. These students are looking for a truck driving job. Many are not aware of this segment of the business. Good luck.
God bless our Military and vets.

marvinkwagner

Not a Member
Geo

No offense but they are a joke. I ask you this
most of them are geared toward the officers
the rest are geared toward the min wage.

Been there and done that.

If I would have been an AC Tec Id would be working in the area
but only makiing 10.00 bucks an hour.

Have a Safe One.
kev

Blue Streak

Seasoned Expediter
TC
Finding good drivers/teams or good owners is like finding a rare gem, once you've found a good team do what you can to keep them and don't leave the good owners looking for greener pastures.
We lucked out and found an honest fleet owner from the beginning on this very site.

I think if the carrier would put more effort into screening potential drivers it would save a lot of money and time for everyone.
But once drivers get to orientation, seems to me like the carriers will overlook alot just to get them out on the road. When we were in orientation over 2 yrs ago there was one driver taking the hazmat test for the 3rd time...and it was an open-book test, not to mentions the people in charge were there helping with answers. I wonder to this day if he's out there on the road hauling toxic chemicals through some major metropolis.

Just the other night we agreed to a swap in which we were to meet the other trk at 0230. the other truck only had 300 miles to drive and left the shipper at 8 p.m .....he did not get to the swap til 0815 the next morning. at 6 a.m he was only 30 miles away and then stopped for awhile; at 0645 he was 3 miles away. I asked dispatch if he was on his 10 hr break...anyway when he got there it was easy to discern why he was late. He hadn't even put in his arrived at shipper msg (didn't know how to use q.c. and therefore didn't have directions and couldn't read map) Driver said he drove every minute but wasn't familiar with the area. Also he had to ask me "which of these books is my logbook?". yes this is a true story. scary, huh?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
That goes waaay beyond scary! I agree: it's up to the carriers to uphold the standards, and reject drivers who cannot meet them. IMO, it would be better for the carrier to lose one load through inability to provide a driver in the area, than to use a driver such as the one you cited, and lose an entire account.