Finally got the forklift

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Got the forklift, dock plate, and pallet jack delivered yesterday, so we now have a functional cross dock. Now how long until people start beating our door down to use it?

I got a Crown 3 wheel electric. The thing is extremely maneuverable and very quiet, except with the backup beeping which seems quite loud in our relatively small warehouse.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
No matter how small, make sure you have some sort of safety program in place..And stick with it. We all know how dangerous docks can be but it doesn't take long to get comfortable with them and throw safety out the window.. I have seen one guy run over so yes it does happen. Those little blue back up lights are eye catchers and work good to show the position of travel. Be safe with it.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Doesn't take much space to cross dock. Most cross dock work are truck to truck or truck wait a while then truck.
If you have more than about 2000 ft.² I would say start looking for storage customers as well. That's easy money pays for that forklift in space pretty easily.
JJ Keller has some real good safety information and training materials for forklift safety. It's not cheap but you want to be seen as doing the right thing and enforcing be safe thing.
The last thing you want to happen is for OSHA to walk in and you don't have at least daily inspections of your forklift.

truckblue

Expert Expediter
Driver
The very best to you and your new venture. As for safety, maybe insisting on drivers chocking wheels would be a suggestion. I personally stopped a forklift driver from driving off the back of a truck as the truck was rolling away from the dock.
Just curious, how are you marketing your facility? I always thought this could be a very lucrative business. good luck.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Well, marketing it is something I'll have to figure out. I've notified everyone we currently do business with, so now I'm looking for more areas to advertise it.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Well, marketing it is something I'll have to figure out. I've notified everyone we currently do business with, so now I'm looking for more areas to advertise it.

Your post to Sylectus yesterday was a good start. Problem is, you're very close to another XDock. And be there when they screw up.

danthewolf00

Veteran Expediter
You might want to look for a good used carpet roll attacment for the forklift because regular forks will rip a carpet roll.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
Finally got to use it today. Truck broke down 4 miles away from us. Swapped 8 skids to another straight.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I did learn something yesterday. We have a dock plate but it's not as wide as the back of the truck and it gets somewhat tricky getting the last couple skids on the end of the trailer when you can't maneuver over to the sides too easily because of the size of the dock plate. The side shifter comes in handy but I still had to move the dock plate over to the side to get the skid in that way. One of those docks with the leveling system and its own plate would be nice. Maybe next facility when we outgrow this one.

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Couldn't you just remove or lower the dock plate and drop them on the back of the trailer?

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
As you grow you maybe could update what docks you have..A whole new automated system can be installed for a price... As you learn what your doing remember to stay away from the sidewalls as much as possible. Keep that counter weight towards center as much as possible. It Puts a lot of stress on the truck and could possibly pull the box off the truck..I have seen 2 trucks tipped or heavily tilted with a fork lift inside..I'm sure yours isn't as heavy as some but caution always pays off..Slo and steady should keep ya safe.