Fedexcc Or Landstar

fawazbarraj

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,
I am a (D) unit Driver With Fedex cc.........Thinking To Buy My Own (B) Unit (1 Ton Cargo Van) and Lease It To Fedex cc. Or Landstar........So I Need Some advices

(1) Which Van To Buy...Ford Or Chevy....and Why..?
(2)Lease It To Fedex cc. Or Landstar.....and Why...?
(3)How Much Can You Gross a Week With Fedex cc / Landstar.
(4)How Much Can You Net a Week With Fedex cc / Landstar.
(5)How Many Miles Do You Drive a Week With Fedex cc/Landstar
(6)What Is The Pay /Per Loaaded Miles...Fedex cc /landstar

So If anyone Can Help With Some Info That Will Be Great.

Thanks.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
why don't you just buy a truck, and then flip a coin for whom to sign with? Have you looked at any smaller Carriers in your neighborhood?

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
FedEx and Landstar are both top tier carriers; as are several others.

Income to the truck is fairly equal amongst the top tier carriers.

If you are new to the business of Over-The-Road trucking in general, and expedited trucking in particular, I would suggest you consider getting a Class A or B CDL and driving a tractor or straight truck for a fleet owner before you buy a van.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
Hello,
I am a (D) unit Driver With Fedex cc.........Thinking To Buy My Own (B) Unit (1 Ton Cargo Van) and Lease It To Fedex cc. Or Landstar........So I Need Some advices

(1) Which Van To Buy...Ford Or Chevy....and Why..?
(2)Lease It To Fedex cc. Or Landstar.....and Why...?
(3)How Much Can You Gross a Week With Fedex cc / Landstar.
(4)How Much Can You Net a Week With Fedex cc / Landstar.
(5)How Many Miles Do You Drive a Week With Fedex cc/Landstar
(6)What Is The Pay /Per Loaaded Miles...Fedex cc /landstar

So If anyone Can Help With Some Info That Will Be Great.

Thanks.

1. more fords right now than chev/gm due to aa strike. ford has one wheelbase the other 2. both has diesel and gas engines.
2. fed has central dispatch which you are familiar with and landstar has regional/city agent dispatch. fed is also not taking on any vans right now unless you as a current employee can get special dispensation.

3,4,5 depends where you load and unload. run the ooida cpm spreadsheet to figure your expenses.

6. call and ask. once again it has been said here several times and i have heard directly from a recruiter that fed is not taking cargo vans at this time.

lots of discussion here about both and searching under fedex fdcc and landstar should yield vast amounts of information. also see dhalltoyo thread about the state of the union of van hauling.

good luck

Last edited:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Pretty much I'd say FORGET IT!!!! Wait till after the Presidential election and see how things are going after that...Right now it's brutal out here...it's a dog eat dog business and everyone has on their Milkbone underwear!!

There will be O/O's chasing you to fill their trucks..if you are a solo....you might as well flip burgers....

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You might be well served to PM EO member Coco as they went from the Fed to Landstar. I believe also they are now running a van if I remember correctly. Should be able to give you some current numbers and info.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Am I the only one who had to read his question twice?

Ok I did the FedEx thing with the van, then in a c unit and then on to Landstar to where I am now.

I would stay exactly where you are. You have limited overhead driving for someone else (an assumption), you know the system at FedEx and you can make money where you are at.

With Landstar it is a completely different puppy, it may not be something you would like at all. I can tell you that you have to shed the "check into the express center and wait" attitude, which is hard for a single to do sometimes - some of us are trying though.

FedEx has its advantages for you because you are a fleet driver, where the single owners don't. I would not consider Landstar until you are an owner somewhere else.

As Jack said - "fed is also not taking on any vans right now unless you as a current employee can get special dispensation." Well I don't know about the employee part but I do know that they bend the rules for fleet owners and their drivers, no doubt about that so I would say if you were going to a van with a determination, start talking to your CC or what ever they are now and get it all lined up to make a move. I would also talk to Terry about FedEx van work, he give a pretty accurate picture of the situation.