FedEx Changes Deadhead pay and FSC

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Is that 15 percent increase acrossed the board? I doubt it. That would be too much incentive for any competitors to compete against.
The increase we heard was much less, but that is for LTL.
What about the routing as I heard that changed, but don't for sure.
If they are charging over $3.00 per mile with FSC, they are going to have some trucks sitting. Just the economics of that doesn't make sense. That likely only applies to retail customers. The loads I see from fedex are lower than that number.
Which brings me to another point. How do you even as owners or drivers know what the tariff rate is? Their rates are all over the place. Just a question that no one ever seems to know the answer unless they haul for the same customer several times. And even then, they aren't the same.
Again, just an outsider looking in.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>Why change?
>
>Why would a carrier reduce the FSC, knowing contractors
>would complain, and then increase the rate?
>
>Personally, I believe it really comes down to marketing
>personnel who waffle when selling service to shippers.
>
>Properly presented you can sell value; regardless of the
>FSC.

Thinking about salespeople talking to shippers, you are correct. But think also about recruiters talking to drivers:

"FedEx Custom Critical pays tolls, does carrier X?"

"FedEx Custom Critical pays fuel surcharge on deadhead and loaded miles. Does carrier X?"

"FedEx Custom Critical pays a fuel surcharge bonus on reefer trucks, not just on reefer loads, but on all loads. Does carrier X?"

"FedEx Custom Critical pays deadhead after the first 50 miles. Does carrier X?"

"FedEx Custom Critical recently RAISED the rates it charges shippers, has carrier X?"

"FedEx pais fuel surcharges on all loads, not just non-contract customers. Does carrier X?"

Clever people, those folks at FedEx HQ.

Of course a counter-arguement can be made against each of these points. And this was all made possible by a change to the old fuel surcharge and a tarriff hike. But if Mr. Mayfield's information proves to be the case fleet wide, the bottom line is a net increase in compensation for contractors.

Thus, "FedEx Custom Critical recently increased its contractor compensation. Has carrier X?"

I'm still reserving judgement on the new package until I have a chance to crunch real numbers from real runs after the program goes into effect. While I am optimistic about how it will work out, you don't know until you know.

My point here is simply that the new package distinguishes FedEx Custom Critical from its competitors at several levels that are important to drivers and will provide a competitive edge to the FedEx recruiters.

Finally, based on Mr. Mayfield's information, FedEx seems to have RAISED its tarriffs AND raised net compensation to it's contractors. Readers may wish to reconsider all the talk on EO about how low-ball competitors will force FedEx to lower its rates and contractor pay.

Diane and I are with Dave. We're sending in our revised contracts soon. On its face, the new package looks good. If it turns out to be bad, we can always reconsider and start carrier shopping if necessary.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Ateam
You raised some good points with regards to a recruiters selling points.
For an outsider it comes down to revenue which many will be watching with interest.
How much revenue for all miles and gross revenue.
The amount per mile starts to mean little if you are sitting for days between loads.
Again, many will be watching I am sure.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ATeam

Retired Expediter
I'll be one of the ones watching. As I've said, until I complete my personal analysis using real numbers with our own truck, the jury remains out. I do however have sufficient confidence in FedEx and now David Mayfield's info obtained from Rick Franks to sign the contract ammendment with little worry.

mystictrans

Expert Expediter
The surcharge formula will hrt the bottom line. Example: We pulled a load with the surcharge was 746.32 on a 1100 mile run. going by the new chart with the average price of feul, under the new plan the surcharge would be 298.00 that is a differance of 448.00 that we would not recived under the new plan.
Fed ex is still charging the customers under the old rate. I know they will pay a surcharge now on all loads regardless of when the tariff agreements were made but it will hurt the bottom line.I have talked to to industry accountants who both agree this is a bad deal for the drivers but a good one for CC's bottom line,
Phil

dhalltoyo

Veteran Expediter
Any carrier that pays a "Flat Rate" FSC is pocketing the difference.

That is a fact!

Rates do fluctuate occasionally, but for the more part they remain fairly consistent.

For example, when my FSC's are running between 21 - 30 cpm and I get an offer that only pays 9 cpm I might possibly take the run if it gets me closer to home. Why? With 90% of my FSC's being in the 21 - 30 cpm range I can afford to take the occasional lower FSC.

BUT!!! I can not even afford to start the engine when the "Flat Rate" FSC is a fixed 15 cpm.

THEREFORE, it does not take an O/O very long to figure out why he can not pay his bills when leased to any carrier paying a "Flat Rate" FSC.

Oh, and "YES" to all of your other recruiting questions.

In the final analysis, all things being equal, you had better start shopping for a new carrier.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I am only basing this on a couple of posts, but if you reject their flat rate program, then they only pay 58 percent on the tariff and only 58 percent of the surcharge they collect.
Ummm??? That would tell me something as to who is getting the shaft.
Again, I don't know if that is true? I may have inaccurate information. I quess if I do, someone will correct me.
If it is true, then that repercussion of not signing speaks volumes.
If they only pay 58 percent of the FSC, where is the rest of it going?

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
Dave
We on the % program are getting 100% of the fuel surcharge not 58%,under the new program ,we will get a mileage rate so the fuel never goes over 1.20/ gallon.also they will pay us surcharge,even when the customers arent paying due to their customer contracts.
myself,
I've figured on past loads,the contract customer loads ,ill be making more,non contract less,but,if by some stroke of god,the fuel goes back to normal,lol,with the new rates they are charging,I'll be making more
The new rate they are charging,already has customers in uproar,do to my contract with fed ex I cant go into what they are charging the customer,but now it those short loads, no one want to take, are the best loads,and might be we can now get rid of these co-drivers,and run the short loads,time will tell
Myself,I'm looking into Pass Port,Fed Ex CC's exotic car hauling company
Hope this put a different light on the subject
nightcreacher
ooida 263839
fed ex cc since 1984
E6613
steve gilbert

G

Everyone has to look at the big Picture. What happens when the customer calls in and FedEx can't cover a load because there are no trucks in that area. The customer goes some where else.

This program will help out the drivers that run solo, and on the short loads we will be getting more money. How many times have you been called for a load that was 350 miles and it paid 475.00 but you turned it down because you was running team. With this program the FSC is spread out over many different things. I feel that this will be great for all the O/O in the long run. The size of the Fleet at FedEx is very important. If FedEx can't cover the small loads because of no trucks. What makes you think the same customer is going to call with a 2000 mile load, they won't. I feel this is going to be for the good of the Fleet. Yea, I'm taking a cut on somethings but I'm gaining money in others.

It's kinda like the NFL, all the money they get from TV is spread out to all 30 teams for the good of the NFL. FedEx is doing the same thing to help everyone on the cost of fuel. If the Fleet goes down because people are not making it and they leave and go to another company. Who does that hurt in the long run, us the owners that are still on with FedEx. Because if a customer calls in and there is no trucks to cover loads then they look somewhere else.

Driver/Owner retention is very important. When I started back in 1995 I could count on one hand the number of Expediting companys. Now there is over 30 different companys. I would say that many of Driver/Owners started out at Roberts Express/FedEx Custom Critical.

Sometimes you have to change things for the better of the fleet. I support the FSC program because in the long run it will be better for the Fleet.

Drive Safe
David Mayfield
FedEx Owner/Driver since 3/01/1995

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Among other factors, one of the quickest and easiest ways to get an accurate accounting of a trucking company's worth is to set a flat rate FSC. Just ask Con-Way about that. Con-Way NOW was in the process of a name and logo change, to the point of installing a new logo sign on the building in Ann Arbor just before the buyout. Con-Way had just signed a long term lease on that new building they were in, as well. And they were given many incentives by the city of Ann Arbor to do so. There may be a parallel, or it may all be coincidence, but as one person said, never say never. UPS may have their eye on FECC. hehe

As for toll routing and charging the customer for tolls, don't count on it, at least not very often. It allows sales to approach the customer with more options for their freight. "We can route it this way, via tolls roads, and it will take x amount of time to get to the consignee, but it will cost this much. However, we now have the ability where we can route around the toll roads, and it will take this a amount of time, a little longer to get it there, but it will only cost this much." That's a huge sales tool, as most freight isn't critical enough that an extra hour or three to get it there won't matter, and if it's cheaper, the customer will choose that route (pun intended).

The flat FSC will pay where customers pay little or no FSC, which is good, and is how it's being sold to the o/o, but it will also pay significantly less on the runs that collect a high FSC charge. Bottom line is, you trade an inconsistent, but long-term overall higher amount of FSC pay for a consistent FSC. The increased deadhead pay, and the higher tariffs on some loads will make up some or all of the difference, but only on those select loads. Most loads will not be charged the full tariff, as business competition will dictate what can be charged.

The FSC kitty is not like the NFL revenue sharing at all. With the NLF, the percentage is set at the beginning of each year based on total contract revenue, and then every penny is divided equally amongst the 30 teams, regardless of how many nationally broadcast games a particular team has on this year's schedule. What FECC is doing is, taking all of that revenue, and then distributing it based on the national average for a minute of television advertising, which means some teams will get more for some broadcasts, some will get less, yet all will get a consistent amount for each game, and there will absolutely be something left over in the kitty at the end of the year.

All this reminds me of how the Clinton Administration took money from here and there, and put it there and here, and managed to turn a budget deficit into a budget surplus, all while spending more of my money under the budget. ;)

I hope these changes at FECC are for the better, and time will tell soon enough. It's just rare that a company would restructure things so that they are actually paying out more and taking in less. If everyone's making more, the o/o and FedEx, then great, but I just don't see it happening, what with the competition being what it is. FedEx does have a base of loyal customers (and drivers, for that matter) that they can count on, and in some cases they provide a niche within a niche within the industry, certainly, but overall I think more trucks will be getting paid less over the long haul.

Here's to hoping I'm dead wrong.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
That's a huge sales tool, as most
>freight isn't critical enough that an extra hour or three to
>get it there won't matter, and if it's cheaper, the customer
>will choose that route (pun intended).

For most freight, you are correct. But don't forget, we are in the expediting business, hauling expedited fright, and in some cases value-added freight. The freight we see on our truck is indeed emergency freight. Shippers have dozens of easy options to ship freight before they call us. We are FAR more expensive, yet they call and call and call. Why? Because they have an emergency or special-handling need and we expediters are the only ones who can handle it.

From the day Diane and I started hauling freight for FedEx Custom Critical, it was obvious that shippers either call us first or call us last. If they call us first, it is because of the value-added services we provide. If they call us last, it is because they have no other option but to pay the way-higher rates they must pay if they want to ship the freight.

The other fright, local delivery from airports, next day non-exclusive use, so-called "expedited" freight via an LTL carrier...that will go on. But that is not the kind of freight we haul. We provide emergency and value-added services and charge a pretty penny to do so.

Others may disagree with the nature of the freight we haul. All I can say in response is I know what kind of freight goes on our truck, how often it happens that consignees are waving us in when we arrive, and how glad shippers who hire us for our value-added services are to see the way we handle their goods.

We seldom haul automotive freight from plant to plant. And if we do, we do so only if the rate paid meets our minimum to move the truck. We haul stuff from jet planes on runways to loading docks where people are waiting to receive it. We haul operating tables from one hospital to another where a patient will be under the knife within hours of us delivering them. We haul priceless works of art from one museum to another where entire committees of supervisors sometimes watch us secure the freight. I could go on, but I think the point is made.

We are not general freight haulers. We are high-value, high-priced expediters that the shippers call either first or last. So much so that FedEx Custom Critical felt they could raise their rates. That is a fact that should not be ignored. Previous big customers who received discounts, still receive discounts, but it is a discount on a higher rate. FedEx raised rates. Other companies may be giving away the store, but not FedEx.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If they raise the rate on a few "select" customers, and drastically cut your FSC, I am struggling to see how this would be a great thing?
This only has a advantage if you are doing a significant amount of DH.
And of course if that is the case, your losing money anyway. It is good news for Fedex stockholders. We notice ours went up.
All they are doing is passing the high FSC rates over to the discount ones and keeping the balance.
If you don't sign their new contract, why do they only offer 58 percent of the FSC instead of 100 percent?
If that is inaccurate, then someone will need to bring me up to speed. I am basing that part on several emails.
I think the answer is obvious if that is accurate information.
The other item is if you are passing a portion of a customers FSC costs over to a customer that doesn't pay, the obvious will happen. It is a salesperson bonanza for the competition.
If I was a customer, why would I want to subsidize a customer that doesn't pay? Just a matter of time on that one.
Just playing devils advocate on something that doesn't look like it was thought through......or maybe it was, but for different reasons than their drivers.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

NoProblem

Expert Expediter
Turtle,

I would say that you are not completely “dead wrongâ€, but since I am of the opinion that some of your misconceptions are common among drivers, I’ll propose the following scenario with the hope that you’ll better understand the position of the carrier...............................

Suppose, as fate would have it, that you and 500 other trucks, were to fall victim to constantly being offered loads that paid zero fsc thanks to cheap shippers.

In the mean time, 501 other trucks were constantly being offered loads with a great fsc thanks to generous shippers.

How would you feel getting 100% of nothing?

This is the dilemma Fedex says that they deal with. From my experience, this is absolutely reality. Hopefully the above scenario puts things in a different perspective for you.

Your concern for being jipped because you are afraid you will no longer be offered the “100% fsc†is one of the great misconceptions associated with the driver’s understanding of what the heck fsc even is.

The “Fedex†name is great - but that only goes so far - and Fedex is plenty smart enough to know it.

My guess (only a guess) is that Fedex has some customers who have used Fedex for a long time. These customers accept and pay a set fsc that Fedex established and updates on some type of regular schedule.

My other guess is that Fedex has plenty of cold calls looking to get something expedited and plan to use Fedex - provided the rate is at least somewhat competitive.

Then I am also guessing that there are a ton of shippers (the majority of calls into Fedex) who are shopping around for the best rate - these are the shippers that have Fedex on the auction block (so to speak) and the great “Fedex name†means nothing if the price is too high.

This is only my opinion, and it is only based on my own actual experience dealing with shippers. I believe that Fedex has formulated their fsc to balance out the fsc that they pay to their trucks to be as fair as can be to all of their drivers - even though if at some point, they (Fedex) occasionally get the short end of the stick.

Just my .02
JMHO
FWIW
Etc.

Naturally, none of what I posted applies to White Glove as they compete on a much, much, and way higher level - and only with Panther2 Elite Services.:p

targuard86

Expert Expediter
What about taking all the FSC for a given period of time and apply a formula based on the unit size (Projected MPG) and dispatched miles and show the FSC as a seperate line item on the settlement. At the same time post the #'s on the intranet showing a zeroed out P & L statement for that account.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
They won't do that. That would show what they are keeping.
I think they should show you what each customer pays. Anything else is nothing but secrecy that is likely not in your favor. Anything different would result in "why is it a secret"?
Wanting to comply and pacify customers that don't pay a FSC is a direct reason as to why you have cheap freight rates.
They have to remain competitive, but the notion they are doing something great for rates is a joke. They are just moving money around to their corporate advantage.

Davekc
owner
22 years
PantherII
EO moderator

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
No, actually, I fully understand FSC, how it's calcualted in the various ways that it is, and I understand, fully, the point of view of trying to spread out the FSC in a more equitable manner. I understand the reasonings behind it, and the ramifications of doing it in the manner in which it is being done in this case. My family has been involved in the trucking industry for more than 40 years, from drivers to fleet owners to brokers. There are very few things left for me to develop a misconception about. :)

I choose to drive a van because I can go where I want, when I want, and I don't have to scale or log (very often), and because I don't want to drive a flatbed hauling steel or lumber, which is what our fleet primarily does. Drive 2 or 3 hours to the pickup, wait a couple to get loaded, then tarp it all and tie it down, then you're out of hours. A flatbed requires, uhm, effort. :D

At the end of every month, there will be, absolutely, money left over in the FECC FSC Kitty. If they are serious about actually spreading the FSC around on an equal basis, then the surplus will divided out at settlement time. But, that won't happen. Somewhere between 10%-14% of what they collect will almost certainly not be paid out to drivers. Some drivers will get more, some will get less, almost all will get less overall when it's all said and done, but the upside is that it's a consistent amount, and there is most definitely something to be said for that. It will allow drivers to take some shorter runs than they would have otherwise turned down, and it enables FECC to book those loads easier.

I was with Con-Way NOW when they went to the flat FSC, and even though we were told one thing, I knew very well what it actually meant. But I was OK with that. And I've seen out own brokered trucks go with flat FSC at different time for different reasons. If I were with FECC I'd be OK with what they are doing, but for perhaps not the obvious reasons. For most trucks it's going to mean less money overall, per mile, but it also means a better than average shot at more loads, both for the drivers and for the company. And, of course, there are upsides and downsides to having to run more to make more, but at the same time the opportinuty is there to actually run more.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Con-Way
>NOW was in the process of a name and logo change, to the
>point of installing a new logo sign on the building in Ann
>Arbor just before the buyout. Con-Way had just signed a long
>term lease on that new building they were in, as well. And
>they were given many incentives by the city of Ann Arbor to
>do so.

Turtle, I believe you are confusing Con-Way Transportation (parent company) with Con-Way Now (formerly a small business unit of Con-Way). Con-Way Now had its office near the airport on Venture Drive south of town. It was located next to a sister company's main office, Con-Way Central Express. Con-Way Brokerage and whatever still operates out of this building. As for the building you are refering to, it is the headquarters of Con-Way Transportation or whatever name the corporation is using these days. I believe this building is located uptown somewhere.

As for the logo and name changes, all major business units were effected. The new logo was common and unified all the companies.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Nope, not confusing them at all. CCX had half of that building leased, and the city of Ann Arbor gave the NOW division (along with CCX) several incentives to lease the rest of that bulding on a long term basis. (I got those details a while back from Ed Conaway before he was promoted to the big club). That's the primary reason that the Brokerage company is still there. The new logo signage that went up was not just the new, unified logo, but one that stated Con-Way Expedite and Brokerage, and another one will have to be put up (or perhaps already has) that shows just the Brokerage part of it.

I'm the one that swapped the old Ford van for the new Sprinter on the Wednesday before the buyout, and posted a pic of the van with the new prototype logo lettering, taken in the parking lot there on Venture.

At least the letters peeled off pretty easily a few days later. :D