Fed Ex Ground Contracting

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a question regarding the business end of FedEx. Here's the short story..
Had a FE ground route owner ask if I am interested in working for him as a Contractor through the peak season and possibly as a relief driver afterwards.
I figure it might be a good way to "try it on and see if it fits." If it works and appears to be profitable I might consider getting into a full time route.
Any Fed drivers out there have any tips, advice or fair warnings?

Thanks.
Bob Wolf.

acvox24

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I used to work for there home delivery department. Which is a lot like ground. The recruiter filled my head with ideas about being my own boss and stuff. The area I had was great at first since I delivered pizzas their for 15 years. Was finishing the route in half the time the previous driver did. However since the majority of your pay is based on daily settlements, they just kept flexing more and more stuff to my route till I was working 15 hours a day. Told the manager I don't mine being a team player or putting in a hard day, but I'm not going to work 15 hours a day for the rest of my life. He's response, "then you shouldn't have taken the job". After you making that big investment of buying a truck, they figure they have you over a barrel. My advice, go down to the docks where the drivers load up in the morning and ask em how many hours they work. Wish I would have done that. Worst job experience of my life.

Sent from my iPhone using EO Forums

geo

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Navy
Also if you want to take a day off, you have to have a sub take your route for day,not like ceva if you don't work, your truck doesn't to

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
At this point Ive been hired as an extra to help out over the peak 2-3 days a week, no-one has tried selling me into a route.
No matter who the shipper, broker, or customer is DOT regs are not negotiable, my truck, insurance, authority, as well as my property, money, life and safety come before them.
In the past 10 years Ive had my share of BS disguised as ice cream when it comes to recruiters. As a result when they talking their sales pitch it sounds like this.

If things work out I might offer services as a relief driver that way I can tip the playing field in my favor.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Still I am seeing more and more "Ground" trailers with the Purple and red of freight instead of the light green of ground

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Still I am seeing more and more "Ground" trailers with the Purple and red of freight instead of the light green of ground

All of the FedEx operating companies will be changing their colors over the next five years until the are all Purple and Orange. These are the original Federal Express colors and, as the different companies were incorporated with the distinguishing colors shown in the "Ex", the FedE Express colors remained at purple and orange. As new trailers are placed in the various fleets they will show the newer colors. Thus, some of the Ground trailers are now showing the new standard colors of the company

Reactions: OntarioVanMan

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

All of the FedEx operating companies will be changing their colors over the next five years until the are all Purple and Orange. These are the original Federal Express colors and, as the different companies were incorporated with the distinguishing colors shown in the "Ex", the FedE Express colors remained at purple and orange. As new trailers are placed in the various fleets they will show the newer colors. Thus, some of the Ground trailers are now showing the new standard colors of the company
Thank you...:)