Fed Ex Custom Critical

redytrk

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Fedex White Glove is a part of Fedex Custom Critical.

This division requires extra equipment I.E. lift gate,pallete jack,furniture straps etc.

Acceptence into this division usally requires six months running in "Surface Expeite". Extra training is required before hauling certian Hazmat loads.

White Glove loads pay more than Surface Expedite.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
There is no free lunch. W/Glove pays more but you do EARN it. At one time it took 6-12 months experience with a good track record to get into W/Glove.Sadly that requirement is no longer mandatory. I have met W/G drivers who are basically clueless as too what is required and have zero experience with expediting.

elton10

Expert Expediter
I knew White Glove paid more per load but I was also told that WG generally got fewer loads. Are the White Glove units strictly White Glove freight or do they run general too?

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
They run both. W/Glove may lock you in at a specific area but you can call and get the lock removed.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>what is the difference between Fedex Custom Critical and Fed
>Ex White Glove?

I asked the same question (or something close to it) two years ago when I was researching the industry. Unfortunately, I got bad information from people here. Yours is a very legitimate question that would be wise to put to a FedEx CC recruiter. Get the facts straight from the horse's mouth.

The point made about WG drivers earning their higher pay is a good one. WG loads often put you in situations that challenge you physically and professionally. For example, on Friday we delivered a load in Phoenix, temp 106 degrees. The moving company that was supposed to be on hand to unload the truck did not show. It was very hot freight (pun intended) with several technicians on hand to accept it and put it to use immediately. Some of those had flown in from other parts of the country. What was the WG thing to do? We called dispatch, got labor added to the load and unloaded 6000 lbs of freight outdoors and wheeled it inside. Mind you, the temp was 106 degrees!

The load just before that was a local run in CA. It was some of the oddest shapped drug manufacturing equipment you could imagine. Very expensive stuff. Lift gate load both ends. Difficult to pad and secure. Highly polished stainless steel, glass, and other fragile stuff. It took us three hours to load and properly secure it.

On the other side of the coin, you sometimes get single-box loads that require no effort at all except to drive and the load may pay very (very!) well.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
asked the same question (or something close to it) two years ago when I was researching the industry. Unfortunately, I got bad information from people here

Not sure who at that time provided you with "bad" imformation, but Terry and RichM are the most knowledgable that I have seen with regards to FedEx.
I have yet to see any information from them that is deemed inaccurate.
Must have been on another site.

If you are going to take a shot at EO, and then fail to elaborate, then there is little value in mentioning it.
Whether you mentioned names or not, is not really an issue.
That is not as you state, a "pot shot"
That is an observation
Lets stay on topic.

Davekc

ATeam

Retired Expediter
DaveKC and RichM, please do not turn this thread into something it is not. My post did not mention any names and in no way implied references to TerryandRene or anyone else. Will your pot-shots never stop?

elton10

Expert Expediter
Those times when you had to spend a lot of time on padding and securing, unloading etc. are you paid any additional for that ?
Or is that simply why the WG rates and payment are higher?

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
elton10:

Perhaps a lay position might help you get a better picture of the Whith Glove vs Surface Expedite fleet at Fedex Custom Critical.

In essence, you are rewarded by White Glove Division for the investment of time, effort and money that the surface expedite folks do not provide.

To be fully qualified in all or most of White Glove freight handling activities you'll need to attend seminars and training sessions in the various specialty areas. You'll need to invest the time and money to obtain extra equipment such as furniture pads, furniture dollys, two wheel dollys, lottsa straps, a lift gate, perhaps a tag axle, perhaps a reefer box. You will do all of the above at your expense before you get your first load; and, that might be a surface expedite discounted load that pays no addition money on your W/G investments.

When you do get that W/G load, the customer will have paid a premium for your experience and your investment in a lot of expensive equipment necessary for the customers' requirements. There are accessorial charges in which you will share a portion; such as, inside deliveries where you manhandle boxes, crates, etc into a building and perhaps up one or more flights of stairs. Charges for a refrigerated or heated truck are earned. You might get paid extra for unpacking crates and disposing of them at a nearby dumpsite. And, you'll get something for special handling and padding of sensitive materials.

The bottomine, as I see it, as a White Glove owner/operator, you'll earn the maximum amount of revenue available to any expediter in the business (debatable by some). But, you will have invested the most to achieve that lofty goal. Much like my van cost me a lot less in money and timne to maintain than your D Truck, I earn a lot less. It's all relative!

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
>When you do get that W/G load, the customer will have paid a
>premium for your experience and your investment in a lot of
>expensive equipment necessary for the customers'
>requirements. There are accessorial charges in which you
>will share a portion; such as, inside deliveries where you
>manhandle boxes, crates, etc into a building and perhaps up
>one or more flights of stairs. Charges for a refrigerated
>or heated truck are earned. You might get paid extra for
>unpacking crates and disposing of them at a nearby dumpsite.
> And, you'll get something for special handling and padding
>of sensitive materials.
>
>The bottomine, as I see it, as a White Glove owner/operator,
>you'll earn the maximum amount of revenue available to any
>expediter in the business (debatable by some). But, you
>will have invested the most to achieve that lofty goal.
>Much like my van cost me a lot less in money and timne to
>maintain than your D Truck, I earn a lot less. It's all
>relative!

It sounds like you are basically the expediter, the lumper, and the sanitation engineer all rolled into one. I've talked to friends in WG and they say the cpm is excellent and the work is also harder than any other division.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
With all those jobs maybe it's the choreographer driver lumper.

Leo
truck 4958

Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

elton10

Expert Expediter
terry

I dont have a D unit..but thats what Im interested in and as an update.. Starting Monday I will be teaming on a D unit brand new FL60 with a 22' box and 84" condo sleeper. I cant believe that at my age Im eager but still a little scared at the prospect.
Ahh and its not FedEx( I did have a team offer from a Fedex driver but he was based too far away from me to make it work)

Jack Jackson

Expert Expediter
>>
>Not sure who at that time provided you with "bad"
>imformation, but Terry and RichM are the most knowledgable
>that I have seen with regards to FedEx.
>I have yet to see any information from them that is deemed
>inaccurate.
>Must have been on another site.
>
>If you are going to take a shot at EO, and then fail to
>elaborate, then there is little value in mentioning it.
>Whether you mentioned names or not, is not really an issue.
>That is not as you state, a "pot shot"
>That is an observation
>Lets stay on topic.
>
>Davekc

Whoa Dave, come in out of the sun and cool down

You've taken so many "pot shots" at WHITE GLOVES over the years, you
must be a little trigger happy.

As long as you keep telling EVERYONE who will listen what a waste of money it is to buy a truck decked out with WHITE GLOVE equipment, the longer I will go making GOBS of money with my little C-Unit and BIG SLEEPER because there will be so few trucks to compete with me.