Fed Ex Contractor lawsuit

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Nothing new.

The old RPS (Roadway Package System) has always had problems. FedEx just inherited it when they bought all the Caliber Companies.

This has nothing to do with expediting.

Lawrence,
Expediters Online.com

Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine

-----------------------------------------
Thanks For Visiting EO!

http://www.expeditersonline.com/hotnews/sterling_eo_forum.jpg

Please Help Us Get The Word
Out About Expediters Online.com!

-----------------------------------------

Glen Rice

Veteran Expediter
This in no way will effect FedEx Custom Critical. We have always had the option of refusal. We never where under direct order to pick up and deliver at a specified location...ie..UPS..DHL..Etc.

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
Hey,
I just read these postings.I know this will not really effect the expiditing business per se,but it's good to see that things are being rectified with that particular company. I was with them for almost 10 years & their business practices led me into expiditing. What a breath of fresh air & releif!!!! Mr. Lawrence keep up what you all are doing cause it's the best there is!!!!! Jimmy

Patchess

Expert Expediter
Hello,I also question how FED-EX get's away with their company
policy and the so Called Image they put on contractor drivers.
I drive for the contractor.I don't have any kind of benefit from
FED-EX.My pay comes from the contractor.So why do I have to wear
the Fed-Ex uniform?I'm told I represent Fed-EX and their Image.Ok,
then FED-Ex needs to put me on the payroll along with benefits.
I feel this is a false representation.When you're around the public
the say"you work for FED-EX"and I say no....I work for a contractor.
How does FED-EX get away with it?

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I don't like the idea of uniforms either. You may be right, but my guess is there's precedence to the contrary. Look at cable installers, all the utility workers, and local delivery drivers. Most are ICs yet have to wear uniforms, cause YES they represent the company...as we do when we step into a truck with their insignia. Only difference between that and a funky brown uniform from Burger King is that FedEx can't tell us what to do.

Jack Jackson

Expert Expediter
RE: Uniform Envy

It's just a suggestion, but if you don't like wearing the FedEx Custom Critical uniform, and don't like to represent the FedEx Custom Critical name, you can go to work for a company that is "not as good as FedEx" and you will be much happier with your life.

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Hey gang,

I too had worked for RPS/Fed Ex Ground for about 5 years, and finally gave up the nonsene, and went to work expediting. I have mixed feelings on this subject. The one side of me thinks, "Good, they have it coming!" but the other, realistic side of my brain thinks that it is always bad when the courts get involved with something like this. The fact that it is California does not suprise me much either. What it comes down to is this: (In my humble opinion) Fed Ex Ground is a job, where you sign a contract on a year to year basis. The money is better than alot of other jobs, and worse than others, but there is security for sure, and if it gets to the point where you do not like their policies, then there is an answer: you walk away! Nobody can force you to work there if you do not want to, they can only tell you what you must do in order to work as a contractor for them. That is exactly what I did. I walked.....I could go on for days about why I could not bare to put up with their bs anymore, but my point is, I did not like it, therefor I rectified the situation. I had no power to influence policy, whether I thought it was stupid and idiotic, or not; so I did the only thing I did have the power to do. Please remember, this is just my opinion, nothing more, nothing less.

scott

Jimmy

Expert Expediter
Hey,
Scott you said everything that had to be said .You were very correct on it. Since you & I were contractors with them we have a greater insight into what went on with that company. Like you said bad the courts had to get involved but sometimes that is the last resort.
Jimmy

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
If that is part of their contract and you agree to it, then you are stuck. Good point if you are driving for a fleet owner? I don't see a problem with it if they are paying for it.
Davekc

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
to my knowledge, neither the former Roberts Express nor FedEx Custom Critical has ever required a contractor to wear any uniform or company approved attire. However, Those experienced contractors who wished to voluntarily apply to FedEx's White Glove Division, did so with the understanding that FedEx Custom Critical attire was required when engaged in White Glove Division work. Ergo, these volunteer contractors volunteer to wear the "uniform' in order to get the more lucrative runs.

mcbride

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
>Ergo, these volunteer
>contractors volunteer to wear the "uniform' in order to get
>the more lucrative runs.

For the rate per mile we got running white glove loads for FedExCC, we would have worn shirts that said "kick me" if they wanted us to! LOL

mcbride-
--What goes around comes around--