Fast & Fast Transponders

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
How many of you are using Fast along with the Truck Tranponders.And has this incressed your load offers. Also I remember reading somewhere about a permit or some type of sticker to help you cross the boarder faster when empty back into the states.

AbeJr
(Still slightly a Newbie)
FedExCC
#D6425
OOIDA MEMBER

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
The sticker you are refering to is the Customs Bridge Decal. That is to cover the customs fee. ($5.00) It doesn't cover the actual bridge toll.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

ABEJR2004

Expert Expediter
devekc,

Is this only for certain bridge crossings and where should I apply for it. And do I need to obtain one for everytime I am comming out empty from Canada?

Thanks

AbeJr
(Still slightly a Newbie)
FedExCC
#D6425
OOIDA MEMBER

Long Hauler 5T

Expert Expediter
Abejr2004, the "sticker" that you and davekc are talking about is a US customs user fee sticker. Up until 2006 it was a decal that was stuck on your side window to show you had paid for your customs user fee. This decal was only worth your while if you crossed the border between Canada and the US 20 or more times.
Effective 2006 they incorporated the customs user fee decal into the fast transponder system. Contact the company that you run for to find out what they have done concerning the payment or non payment of the customs user fee. If they have paid for it then make sure you get a copy of the receipt (showing your truck info)from them to carry with you in case the transponder system is down. This customs user fee is good for crossing at any port between Canada and the US. As Davekc said before, you still have to pay any bridge crossing tolls.

Try this website for more info http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/pleasure_boats/user_fee/truck_user.xml

To be honest with you I find that it's just about as fast to use the regular lanes to cross into the US.

Hope this helps.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You know I finally got the FedEx CC package in the mail a few weeks ago with the transponder in it and haven’t been to Canada since I submitted my paper work to FedEx CC.

I understand that there is a combination bridge customs and fast transponder for 2006 and beyond. If you are FAST certified, FedEx should handle this, contact them.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have never been to Canada (knock on wood and throw salt over my left shoulder). I applied for FAST during an orientation in Jan. 2005 because if you didn't you were paid 5cpm less. When I quit driving for that company in Dec. 2005 I still had no FAST because Canada never received the paperwork from the company. I know this because the company bugged me every month at least once to go to the Canadian office and finish the process and every time I phoned Canada and was told they didn't have any paperwork on me. I told the company that and to please quit calling me until they internally figured out what was going on but still got pestered. I've pretty much decided I'm never going unless it's as a tourist. I guess this only slightly applies to your question in pointing out you could be in for a long wait to get set up. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I applied for the FAST certification during orientation, too - not for more money, (it wasn't offerred, & so far, the program has cost me money), but because it sounded like a useful credential/tool/weapon in the effort to convince the US border officials that an American-born citizen, driving a commercial vehicle, on behalf of a well known American transportation name, probably isn't a suspect for terrorism, smuggling, or whatever other felonious activity they are charged with preventing.
Since being presented with my FAST card, I've crossed the border 4 times, and the score is: Border officials:4, FAST:0.
None of the loads was FAST certified, (one shipper said the regs for the company to get certified weren't worth the hassle, unless shipping frequently into Canada.) I couldn't have used the FAST lane even with a FAST load anyway, because I am still waiting for the carrier to send me the transponder. The one I didn't even know existed until I read about it right here on EO...
Anticipating a FAST improvement in border crossings has turned out to be a FAST reality check, for me. x(

ATeam

Retired Expediter
We applied for FAST certification some time ago and sent in the required $50. Months went by and we heard nothing. Our good friends up north finally responded, but long after the inteview window closed so if we wanted FAST, we'd have to apply again and spend another $50. We have not done so and do not intend to.

Since our application, we've crossed the border several times, empty and under load, in both directions without difficulty. As long as the old-fashioned way works, we'll stay clear of the new rules and devices. I get the sense that things have not settled down yet. Today's FAST may be a thing of the past in favor of something newer and better and just as bad.

As long as we have our PARS paperwork in order and make the confirmation calls ahead of time, border crossings have been a piece of cake; though the thought of crossing at Windsor still gives us pause.