FAST Card

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
FAST cards are valid for 5 years. Yesterday I overheard two drivers mention this. I checked my card and it had expired in July. Where did the time go? I delivered about a mile from the border so I stopped by the U.S. Customs FAST office.

The officer ran my card and verified that it had indeed expired but had not been recognized as such by the system. So I re-applied and now must wait up to 6 six weeks to get a new card.

The officer also noted that during the past 5 years my driver's license number and carrier had changed. So I had to fill out a form updating these changes. This form must be completed when ever the card holder's name, driver's license number, address or employer/carrier changes.

If your FAST card is due to expire soon, you should cough up the $50 and start the process. I guess the "F" in FAST doesn't really stand for FREE.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
FYI....IF and DHS is in a bad mood that day they can refuse your entry IF your FAST is not up to date....evrything should match should they hual your butt in for an examination.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Stay in touch with the FAST crowd, Moot. There's a problem with approval letters not being sent out. During the process of dealing with all that bovine excrement, I left the company I was doing cross border freight with and didn't bother with the follow up on it. But, I never got a letter. My story is a bit longer, but I won't bore everyone with all the details. Just keep in touch with them. This was a few months ago and they may have fixed the problem.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
FAST, my pet peeve.Just signing on a co-driver,and had to fork up another 50 bucks for a FAST card that will never get used,as I dont run Canada,the wheel base on my truck with a 53' trailer makes it illegal to go into canada,but FECC says all drivers must have a FAST card,Mine will expire in December,I'm not getting another.If my truck cant go either can I,and when they finally get that speed limiter thing going in Ontario,be another reason I wont be able to go

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Ohhh Steve you could still do Canada...Just not Ontario...I am sure you'd love driving around Montreal in the old district! *lol*

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I filled out my 3rd application 2 weeks ago. It will be interesting to see if this one gets to them for processing. Just got back in the states from a Canada load. It was a good load but man, traffic around Toronto is a nightmare. No more loads east of the 410/403 unless they are full daylight not rush hour although it seems rush hour may be 24/7.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow! After 7 months, SEVEN MONTHS, my letter from FAST came today. I have 90 days to complete the process. So, Moot, wassup with your app?

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Mine expired last month, and I'm not bothering to renew it - like Pel, I never used it anyway.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
but man, traffic around Toronto is a nightmare. No more loads east of the 410/403 unless they are full daylight not rush hour although it seems rush hour may be 24/7.

Actually traffic is OK between 11 am and 1pm. Usually while you're waiting for the receiver to be done lunch.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow! After 7 months, SEVEN MONTHS, my letter from FAST came today. I have 90 days to complete the process. So, Moot, wassup with your app?

Kim, I've been good to go for about a month. Now I need to get to the border for prints and pics. If the pictures turn out good I will send you one wallet size photo!

Pelicn, the FAST card makes for a fair ice scraper in a pinch!

aileron

Expert Expediter
The FAST card makes for a fair ice scraper in a pinch!
Ha ha, that is about the only thing that my Fast card was used for. But thinking about it, that was a very expensive ice scraper. I can do the same thing with a regular credit card that I get for free. :) Nevertheless, when it expires, I will not renew it.

ClassicOne

Expert Expediter
Am I the only person who actually used the FAST card? Back when I was actively driving to Canada, it was a fantastic. As long as everything was in order (that burden fell on me to verify all aspects of the load) we passed customs in two minutes (after waiting in line!!) Now I have to go renew it.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I use mine every time I go to Canada or come out ..... whether the load I'm running is a FAST load or not ..... and yes - I'm usually cleared thru Customs in a couple of minutes.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Empty is one thing but how are you using the fast lane with a non fast load?
No, I'm not using the FAST lane if I have a non-FAST load - topic wasn't about the FAST lane .... but about the FAST card.

I was just saying that I use the FAST card (as ID) at whatever booth I wind up at - whether the load is FAST or not.