Express 1 and cargo vans

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It was a UPS load and they had no units in the area. Panther and Express 1 get emails from UPS and bid on the jobs and broker them out when they do not have units around. It was a tight pick-up, 2 hours to go 96 miles and the shipper was closing shortly after pick-up time. If there even was a van in Ontario, there would have been no way it would have made it there on time.

NO UNITS! You got to be kidding me! Out on the Left coast, and E-1 had no units?! Wow and the hot spot for expedite freight too....shame shame. E-1 and Panther are not the only ones that get e-mails about loads from those folks.

underdog777

Seasoned Expediter
Not any better at all.I ve figured out just to turn everything down except the loads that i want.And this way i control what i get.If express 1 would have been fair i would have took some of the sorry loads but not anymore.So if they get tired of me turning down the junk they will either give me good loads are none at all.It dont matter to me either way cause im looking for something new already.:)

flattop40

Expert Expediter
Not any better at all.I ve figured out just to turn everything down except the loads that i want.And this way i control what i get.If express 1 would have been fair i would have took some of the sorry loads but not anymore.So if they get tired of me turning down the junk they will either give me good loads are none at all.It dont matter to me either way cause im looking for something new already.:)

Good luck with that. Even if you are 1st out and there is a load. If you have the reputation of turning down loads they will over look you on the good ones. Eventually you will get hungry enough to run the poor loads too or you will move on and they bring someone more willing to take the poor loads. The only one who loses is you.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good luck with that. Even if you are 1st out and there is a load. If you have the reputation of turning down loads they will over look you on the good ones. Eventually you will get hungry enough to run the poor loads too or you will move on and they bring someone more willing to take the poor loads. The only one who loses is you.

But it gets to a lose / lose situation...eventually all them 150 mile .70 cents loads will put you in the hole... there is far more of them then the long ones...

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now, Now OVM. FlatTop is right. No you can'nt take all of them shortruns, but this time of the year it may be worth your time to take those short runs. They add up, you know that, right? Something is better than nothing. Yes, I've turned those runs down at times, you just have to have your own min amount set to run those, if they do not meet that min., I say no. Read around, it is not any better anywhere else.

whitewolf

Seasoned Expediter
Same with Fedex.. after taking a run you have to stay 12 hrs before next one.. with gas prices now we are going down faster than Bush era... good luck

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
In a cargo van,,1500 miles per week for me is great, anything past that is gravy as a solo driver. When I do my cost sheet , it comes out that that is the minimum I need to make it out here now, just plain and simple. I usually take all runs, long and short, works out close to 1500 a week most of the time, and then there are the exceptions, always exceptions.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Now, Now OVM. FlatTop is right. No you can'nt take all of them shortruns, but this time of the year it may be worth your time to take those short runs. They add up, you know that, right? Something is better than nothing. Yes, I've turned those runs down at times, you just have to have your own min amount set to run those, if they do not meet that min., I say no. Read around, it is not any better anywhere else.

Of course...be very selective..enough to make a little cash and just enough to keep dispatch happy...right? *L*

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Of course...be very selective..enough to make a little cash and just enough to keep dispatch happy...right? *L*

Yep, when I do a Mac19 and I'm 8th out, and I get a call for less than 200 miles.......they call me? Why you calling me? I'm 8th on the list! Call me when I'm 8th out and you have an 700 mile run! Oh, you think I'm a bottom feeder?

So, what about keeping me happy.....Dispatch is never happy, they have a load to get out and no one wants it. Pay me, and I'll take it.....200 miles at their rate is below my min. If they can't get a poor run covered why bid on those poor runs, just to keep the loads-for-the day count up?

Maybe that's why they think we should take every run, cuz they bid on every run.... I've turned down 2 loads this year already, thats twice as many as I turned down last year.

Now, some customers need to be covered to maintain a good standing with them, I understand that. Sometimes I will do a less than 100 miles for those customers when in a bind. Putting a stickey note on the monitor to get me 1st out dosn't work all the time either, or sending an e-mail<I'll help you. you help me>

Last edited:

Monty

Expert Expediter
In a cargo van,,1500 miles per week for me is great, anything past that is gravy as a solo driver. When I do my cost sheet , it comes out that that is the minimum I need to make it out here now, just plain and simple. I usually take all runs, long and short, works out close to 1500 a week most of the time, and then there are the exceptions, always exceptions.

Change your thinking .... MILES are not important at all! MONEY is ...

I need $1200.00 a week to maintain the status quo ... all above that is gravy.

(caveat: My weeks are usually twice that mark ...)

And yes, I have had some zero, (or below, with costs), but a $4500.00 week evens that out.

A trap many expediters fall into is looking at weekly revenue .... try looking at it quarterly, and you may be surprised at the weekly AVERAGE.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator

1500 miles at .65 a mile? or would that be
1000 miles at $1.00 a mile?

as said..it is NOT about the miles...

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Notanewbie wrote:

A trap many expediters fall into is looking at weekly revenue .... try looking at it quarterly, and you may be surprised at the weekly AVERAGE.

Exactly!! I have preached this since before I started in this business...BUT..the issue always gets down to, soo many people come into this business with just enough cash behind them for the Drug test and a tank of gas and a mc donalds happy meal and hope they can make it to the next week...then they run from week to week...no cash reserves will run you out of any business in a heartbeat...thats why people worry about each weeks settlement.....because they didn't or couldn't set themselves up with a safety net before they started...

BillChaffey

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Navy
I saw a Express 1 van a chev or GMC in Cabool, MO. this morning. Qual Com, caution light bar, three antenna on the roof. But missed seeing an EO bumper sticker.:p

purgoose10

Veteran Expediter
Notanewbie wrote:

Exactly!! I have preached this since before I started in this business...BUT..the issue always gets down to, soo many people come into this business with just enough cash behind them for the Drug test and a tank of gas and a mc donalds happy meal and hope they can make it to the next week...then they run from week to week...no cash reserves will run you out of any business in a heartbeat...thats why people worry about each weeks settlement.....because they didn't or couldn't set themselves up with a safety net before they started...

Great stuff Chef. I have always wondered how anybody in this business could figure their budget by the week. I always figure quarterly, the only way I can get the right numbers. When I run I seem to run heavy one week, light the next, heavy the next just seems to work out that way. Also time of the year, time of the month to much to do for figuring weekly.:cool: