Expediting with our Pets !

rmctt2

Seasoned Expediter
Hi;
This might have been asked over and over but will ask anyways...
Like to know from you guys who have pets on the road with you, how do you and your pets handle it ?
How often is pee breaks/walk breaks/feeding time/feeding habbits, etc...
I will be driving a Sprinter van with bed , etc...Not sure if my Bichon will take to this change ?
I know it will be different but hope he will adjust well !
Thanks
rmctt2

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
We brought our hound, Max, a Jack Russel and Whippet mix, along with us in the straight truck. His schedule really hasn't changed, at least not a degree sufficient that we've had to plan extra stops on any given run. We tend to drive about 3-4 hours at a time before taking a break and that's when we all get out of the truck to stretch and evacuate bladder and bowel. Max is kind of excitable, especially when he knows/thinks he's going to get to go outside (ie when we pull the parking break, he jumps from the bed to the cab and stares at whoever is driving to take him out.

As far as feeding and water, we have bowls for food and water, we only keep the water bowl about half-full as it tends to slosh around while we're driving, and his food bowl is usually kept full as he doesn't have a problem with over eating, he'll eat what he wants (as he does at home) and then go up to the cab for a pat on the head, or head to the bed to sleep, usually the latter if one of us back there sleeping, he likes to get under the covers and sleep.

When Holly and I are both up front he likes to sit in the passenger's lap and look out the window and see what he can see, if we're off the highway driving to a shipper or con, we'll roll the window down and let him stick his nose out. Generally, Max has done well with car rides and the like, he occasionally gets motion sickness, but seems to very content with his situation inside and outside of the truck.

The only problem we run into is being places where it is impractical to let him out and let him run and play, as he has a need to do this every once in a while. We keep a frisbee and a rope in the truck so when we get to places that have big open areas away from traffic we'll cut him loose and he'll run and chase for a little while. He's not a constant high energy dog, so affording him that opportunity 3-4 times a week is usually sufficient to keep him a happy dog.

Wingnut

Seasoned Expediter
We have a black lab that goes with us all the time. He's great about waiting to go to the bathroom when we stop for fuel, food, or a bathroom break ourselves. If for some reason he can't wait, he'll let us know then we find a place for him to do his business.

He has his own cup in the cup holder with ice water in it (he won't drink water without ice) and when he wants a drink, he'll nudge one of us then nudge the cup to let us know he's thirsty.

He quickly adapts to the routine in the truck and loves every minute of it. The only complaint I have is that he loves to sleep on my bunk. That wouldn't be a problem if he didn't LOVE to take his half out of the middle. It's a good thing I'm short and can worm my way around what little space he leaves me. :) He's gone on the road with us for 10 years and we wouldn't have it any other way. He just loves to ride.

romoore245

Expert Expediter
We have three Chihuahuas, they are a handful at times. As breaks go they can wait as long as we can most times, but the youngest one is just a year old and if she has to go out, or is just bored, she will bark at the driver until we pull over. We have had her in the truck since she was three weeks old and she has never had any trouble with truck life. Sometimes she has more trouble during home time behaving. During slow times we would go insane without them. We may lose a load now and again because of having pets, but the pups we sell a couple of times a years covers that.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Molly our eleven year old Cocker Spaniel has been many places with us. We are very careful with her shots and make sure the vet realizes that she travels all over the country and is exposed to all kinds of ticks and other awful things. She also is checked for heart worms. Each month she gets her medicine for heart worm and then ticks and fleas. We have also heard that sometimes the water in different parts of the country can upset their stomach so Molly only drinks bottled water and we have had no problems. We have a generator with a thermostat so we know we can leave her and do some site seeing and she will be warm or cool. We keep her food and water in a tray so if the water does slosh it stays contained in the tray. We also carry a very detailed rabies certificate so when entering and leaving Canada they can verify we have the right dog.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
How 'bout one of those inverted waterbottles with the metal tube leading downward, such as those that we see in dog cages at pet stores, or in smaller versions in bird cages? Would they be practical in a truck?

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
That's a good point about the heartworm stuff, and something I forgot to mention, I have a years supply of it that's in the truck. And, I agree on the water thing, in fact just 10 miles up the road from home in Kyle, when I was house sitting for my mom whilst she was away, I'd give her dog and my dog filtered water from the Brita, because the water coming out of the tap smelled and tasted like swimming pool water. x(

We'd always stock up on the gallons of water at the wal-mart or whatever local grocery store we happened to be around for his and my water. Holly much prefers "regular" bottled water, but she's much pickier about the water than Max or I are. :D

unorthodoxneon

Expert Expediter
We have a cat with us. He's a handful at times. He sleeps when we drive and is up when we sleep. For water we only give him bottled water to drink from as its easier then stoping to get water from a fountain or another source. We just feed him twice a day. Whats great about having a cat is his bathroom is indoors so we dont have to stop as much for him. But we do have a leash and collar for him and he does go for walks.

We probably couldnt live w/o him as he can be pretty good company and entertainment when he's in his psyco modes.

BigBuzd1

Expert Expediter
We have a 50 lb Australian Shephard-Chow mix and he is our 4-legged son...don't know what we'd do without him. Bailey was 6 yrs old when I took him on the road as a solo van driver and mommy was planning on joining us a month later in a straight truck. He took to the changes like a champ...why wouldn't he? lol He's got mommy and daddy right there with him 24/7...a pack animals' dream come true.
He prefers his food out at all times, but will cover it with whatever he can find handy...a sock, his rug, his grunting goose, or my pillow that he'll drag off the bed and sop up all the water with. His eating habits haven't changed...nor has his pee breaks. he has gone 8+ hours, just as he would've at home when we both worked the same shifts, but he lets us know when he needs it.
Beings there are two of us, we haven't lost any loads because of him, as 1 of us can be left outside the premises w/ him, or huddled in the sleeper with a handful of treats to keep him quiet.
Up to date vet records are a MUST as stated b4 in here.

We used to have a cat with us also...and as Randy said...slept when we drove and on gaurd when we slept. only problem with the cat was he liked to sit in the drivers seat and then stand on the steering wheel horn at 0100...0230....0300...etc! he knew that horn was his ticket to attention. either that or he enjoyed watching other drivers jump outta their skin from the horn when they walked by the truck.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Those are two really beautiful dogs! They sure look like they are very happy dogs.

sickdog40

Seasoned Expediter
Everybody who has their furry kids with them, you might check with your accountants. My wife and I were audited by IRS and we were told then we could get an deduction for our pet (dog) if it weighed 40-45 lbs or up as a security device on the truck. I think then it was like $1200 allowed for the year. It didn't really make up much for what we owned (especially not paying FET on a pusher) but it sure helps. When our new truck comes in, our Golden will hopefully be back out with us. She has contracted cancer...just today the vet says it's pretty bad but I sure can't tell. She's doing great. I just pray she'll make it out on our new Volvo.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
I hope you enjoy every day with your Golden and she goes into remission.

The dog allowance is really a gray area. I have heard several different interpretation of the law as I am sure each agent has their own opinion. One being you must prove if audited that the dog is attack trained and stays with the truck at all times. The deduction is not so much that if audited and the deduction is not allowed the fine should not be much.

heel4you

Expert Expediter
Hey all,
Got a bowl at Cracker Barrel that we love. It is yellow and is two sided with tops like tupperware. We only use one side and the water does not spill out when we are driving! Tatum loves it too!!!
Laura

bambam

Seasoned Expediter
I got m Angel in March Chichua/Begal mix and about 7 months old .she pottied in the truck a few times on the rubber floor but that was my fault I did not take her out first thing in the morning before I went . Now I do not know what I would do with out her she is m child I mever had

god bess and keep rolling

Coco

Seasoned Expediter
>Hi;
> This might have been asked over and over but will ask
>anyways...
>Like to know from you guys who have pets on the road with
>you, how do you and your pets handle it ?
>How often is pee breaks/walk breaks/feeding time/feeding
>habbits, etc...
>I will be driving a Sprinter van with bed , etc...Not sure
>if my Bichon will take to this change ?
>I know it will be different but hope he will adjust well !
> Thanks
> rmctt2

My best advice to you is to become familar with the grooming salon at PetSmart. We have a Maltese and like the Bischon, those little white dogs show dirt in an instant. Most PetSmarts' can get you in on a Sunday with a couple days notice and they only charge $19.95 for a bath and brush (that inclusd nail clipping). I save the haircut for when we are home so the cut remains consistant.

Draco

Expert Expediter
I carry my boxer boy with me on the road and he adjusted to my schedule pretty well. I got a water bowl that is spill proof and he gets access to it all the time, even when driving in the mountains it doesn't spill.

Here's my boy:
Lay.jpg

He is a write off on my taxes as a "security system" and for the last few years he's given me about $600 off my taxes. :) I love havin him on the road as in the summer he "makes" me get out and exercise instead of sitting on my can all day.