Expediting success secret #47

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
One area that challenges people is receiving advice. That's not limited to expediting but to life in general. Newbies especially, but all of us, are challenged by asking for help and expecting a certain answer or at least a certain type of answer. Often, the advice is sought during a time of stress and problems, further exacerbating our tendency to want/demand what we think we are looking for. That causes us to reject anything outside the narrow focus we desire rather than receive and analyze it for useful information.

That is the worst possible thing we can do. When things are great, it's less critical to receive good advice because we're doing pretty well. When things are bad is the time we most need all the good advice we can get. Secret #47 is this. When you ask a question, take time to analyze and digest all the answers you receive rather than dismissing some of them out of hand. It may just be an answer that's teaching you to fish rather than handing you a fish as you anticipated/desired.

Reactions: 1 person

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
I think #47 is good advice in life, expedite, or any other endevor one may undertake. I going to chisel it in my brain now.

Suds43

Seasoned Expediter
darn!! I missed secrets 1-46!!! Guess I'll have to wait for the re-runs.....lol

Good advice though.....some are only looking for what they want to hear, and get defensive toward any other advice..........they don't want to hear anything else. Or won't accept anything else. Those are the one's to feel sorry for.

dcalien

Seasoned Expediter
Some of the best advice I ever had in my life, I dismissed at first, only to find out later I was wrong.

The more I think I know about something, the less open I am to the ideas of others.

ps. The older I get, the less I know.

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
Ok, second post! I think, being new, that sometimes, some of us (newbies), when we ask a question, might not completely understand the answers we are given. I think there is a language out there that works for all you seasoned people, and you might assume that everyone understands what you're saying. I can assure you, after reading a lot of the posts in the archives on here, there is an awful lot of stuff I didn't understand at first, and a lot I still don't understand, and I think it'll take a LONG time to be completely fluent!
I don't want to suggest anyone change their particular way of 'speaking', but it would be nice if things were written so clearly that even a newbie could understand what is being said!I haven't disregarded anyone's advice (yet), just wanted to say that it might seem like something is being disregarded when in fact, it is being misunderstood.
I personally would much rather be taught to fish than to be handed a fish. That said, where can I see tips #1-46? :D

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You make a good point. As much as we try to be helpful at times the answer is crystal clear to us but we're looking from a different vantage point. At that time it's up to the person questioning to ask for clarification on the parts that are confuzzling (another of those technical terms, this one identifying both confusing and puzzling things). Hopefully with an exchange the answer will become clear.

The main point I hoped to get across is to stay open minded and take the time to analyze what's presented rather than quickly dismiss it as not answering the question. Some answers don't immediately answer a question in a crystal clear manner but do answer it in a foundational way that is really better. Keep asking until you get a clear answer and for secrets 1-46 just keep reading through the archives. They may not be labeled as a success secret but they're in there. Good luck.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Secret 47, sub paragraph A applies to the advice givers:

When the advice seeker questions the advice you give, do not take it as a sign of disrespect, and do not instinctively react to put the newbie in his or her place. Instead, be as open minded to the advice seeker's response as you wish him or her to be to the advice you offer.

Questions from newbies are not signals of disrespect. They are signals that the newbie is seriously considering the advice you offer and weighing it against opinions the newbie has already formed and advice received from other sources.

An open-minded veteran can learn a great deal from an inquisitive newbie. Key word for success on both sides of the advice request/give transaction: Open Minded.

08CareerOTR

Seasoned Expediter
I enjoy the answers that have been posted here, they help in the knowledge of Expediting and how you all deal with the actions.
thats why I come here to read mostly and learn from others.
( Been there and done that)........you all are the best input/idea's to help us Newbie's in this field...........that I thank you all for.....
I plan to be best at my job of Expediting thanks you all.....