Expediting company

rollybil

Expert Expediter
Can anyone tell me what they think of Fed-Ex in comparison to the other companies. I here good things. Any added info will be appreciated.

Thankyou

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
One of the better expedite carriers with which you will do well on the east coast, in any size truck. That's my opinion and that's the truth.

raceman

Veteran Expediter
I can not speak of this from actual experience with them but I can sure give you an opinion. I think you should contact BroomPilot and get first hand info.

Raceman
OTR O/O

garman351

Expert Expediter
Be a businessman first? Look for dollar per mile and what they are offering for fuel surcharge. What I have seen and when we look around for any Company is how many miles per week can we expect to travel?

(Get refrences from several drivers) What kind of turn over do they have and why?

Be very careful before signing any contracts.

The very best thing you can do is ask fellow brother & Sister drivers out there for help through this web-site

Garman

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
You will do well with FEDEX in the east.These days they add a additonal $50 for a D unit if you deliver in NYC. When I first started with their predecessor company (Roberts Express) I lived in Rutherford NJ and did well with them.

Peace2All

Expert Expediter
What works for one man may not work for you! If you like sitting a lot and waiting for loads Fed Ex is for you. The loads pay fairly decent at times unless there is a law suit or tax time. The east coast works well for those that can afford to pay bridge fees and tolls. They are not getting any cheaper and the loads don't really pay enough to cover these extra cost. I have left the expedited business and have done better with my big rig. You can keep a big rig moving with an assortment of freight. No waiting for days. One time I waited 10 days for a load before someone called me to relocate for .50 cents a mile.

Just the facts. I don't haul cheap freight.

jrcarroll

Expert Expediter
What about other areas? Like the south and West? I for one do not like sitting for days on end waiting. sitting = no money

ATeam

Retired Expediter
rolybil,

I see you are a new Open Forum member. Welcome! Whether you realize it or not, you have asked a very loaded question. You also ask a very good question.

The question is loaded for a few reasons:

1. Some expediters take a lot of pride in their carrier of choice, which is usually a good thing. But too much pride can interfere with one's judgement and perception of the facts. The world of sports is brimming with loyal fans who will argue with great emotion that their team is the best, even if the team's numbers put it at the bottom of the league. In sports, such loyalty is good. In expediting, it ought not be that your carrier of choice is better than all others simply because you feel loyal to them and wear their logo. Decisions about which carrier is best ought to be made on the facts that pertain to you (how much pay, how many loads, safety policies, company stability, etc.).

2. Expediters are not always fair-minded when offering opinions about carriers. It sometimes happens that an expediter changes from carrier A to carrier B because things did not work out well at carrier A. What the opinion-giving expediter may not say, or may not even realize, is that the expediter utterly failed to do the things that make other drivers successful at carrier A. Instead of examining themselves or their personal business practices, some expediters take the easier route of blaming (sometimes enthusiastically) carrier A for the expediter's errant ways.

That is not to say that a move from carrier A to carrier B is not in order. It may be exactly the right thing to do. Carriers vary greatly in regions served, trucks most used, dispatch procedures, and more. Carrier moves are wise if that's what it takes for an expediter to find the right fit. Better, though, to do good research ahead of time, so you can avoid a move later on.

3. Some expediters believe it to be in their own best interests to discourage others from coming on board with their carrier. They believe there is only so much freight to go around and any new trucks that come on board threaten to reduce their slice of the pie. Those expediters will lie to you about how bad they are doing (Ohhhh it's just terrible out there! All I do is sit!) when in fact they are doing quite well. Others who are thrilled with their current carrier will remain silent, not wanting to encourage others to come on board.

4. Some expediters, especially fleet owners, want drivers to believe that their carrier of choice is the best. They will run down other carriers or quote others who do so. Their motives are easily understood. They want drivers to consider them and their carrier, instead of other fleet owners and other carriers.

If you are researching the expediting opportunity for yourself, one of the best things you can do is find a fleet owner who is right now running trucks with multiple carriers. Interview him or her for information. Also talk to and read the posts from as many drivers as you can regarding their carrier choices. Take all driver opinions (including mine) with a grain of salt. The more driver opinions you hear and read, the better decision you can make.

Finally, don't shortchange what recruiters have to say. Recruiters often get a bad rap but they can be the best source of factual information. Don't ask a recruiter, "How well can I do at your company?" and then hear only what you want to hear.

Instead, ask questions that can be answered with factual information like "How many trucks in your fleet now compared to last year? How much gross income did your average D-unit produce in 2005? What is your company's turnover ratio? and What provisions in your contract can you show me that distinguish your company from the others?"

Now...about FedEx Custom Critical, my carrier of choice; Diane and I run team with them because after doing thorough industry research and talking face-to-face with numerous other carriers, we found FedEx to be the best fit for us. At FedEx, and in a reefer-eqipped straight truck, which is our truck of choice, we can earn more income than we can with any other carrier out there (Landstar being a possible exception). FedEx's national reach also enables us to see the country, which was one of our reasons for entering the business.

We also like it that FedEx is a large corporate entity and not a smaller carrier that tries to be friendly and like family to its drivers. We already have friends and family. Our carrier choice is a business decision, not a social one. FedEx runs a highly professional operation. We make our reputation there by the numbers we produce, and not by the friends we have "inside."

G

ATeam,
Would you say that this also applies to the cargo van expediting also or is that different? Thanks in advance.

Bigg Cellus

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
KW Express
o/o till i die

dont give anyone a chance to play with your money or your time.
no matter how nice someone seems they will always look after themself
before you.just remember sh** rolls down hill and if you sign on with a fleet owner who is at the bottom of the hill?

if you have no choice but to go with a fleet owner then before you sign on with any carrier find out how long the truck you will be driving has been leased to the carrier and how many drivers have been in it over that time frame.

if the truck has had six drivers in the last 6 months then stay away from both the carrier and fleet owner.

ask the carrier what the odometer reading was at the time the unit was leased on and look and see what it is now.

ask the fleet owner how many loaded miles per week his trucks average
per week.

if he says 2,000 then multiply 2,000 by the number of weeks that unit has been leased on. if its a year that should be around 104,000 miles

if the odometer tells you the truck has run 160,000 thats to much deadhead.stay away from that carrier

if the odometer says 60,000 miles have been put on the unit in a year thats to much sitting.

stay away from that fleet owner.

if its within about 15% of what the fleet owner said you should expect to run then hes honest.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
>ATeam,
> Would you say that this also applies to the cargo van
>expediting also or is that different? Thanks in advance.
>
>Bigg Cellus

I think it best for a cargo van driver(s) to answer your question. My comments were offered in a general sense and I believe they apply across all vehicle types. But there are significant differences between cargo van, straight truck, and tractor/trailer expediting. Perhaps cargo van drivers can offer you more specifics than I can.

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Roly & Bigg:

Ateam and KW hit the nail on the head. I have often used the sports team/expedite carrier analogy many times, particularly in the early days of expediting. The driver who left our company always said he made the right move, even when nothing materially changed or his condition changed for the worse. It wasn't until the third coffee refill at the Detroiter that the truth would come. I think you'll find ATeam's comments will fit any size expedite truck, including a van.

We have been with FedEx Custom Critical for 17 years; so how likely are we to badmouth our chosen carrier and continue doing business with them? We have operated a van all those years because it suits our lifestyle and monetary requirements. A van is not the right vehicle for most expediters because it is not a very good revenue producer for a driver with a family to support, particularly a single income family with children.

Terry

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
I think everyone will agree that you have to find the right fit for your situation. If one is sitting for extended periods of time, then they should be looking as to why. As Terry said, determining your finance and lifestyle choices makes staying or moving with a carrier easier. In our case, we prefer a carrier that allows us to use my own customers. That will not work with all carriers. For us, it eliminates excessive downtime, little DH, competing with other trucks ect. It also helps control where we run.
As mentioned, Landstar and Panther are the largest in that regard.

On KW's post, if you are going to drive for someone, simply ask for their settlement statements off that truck. If it is new, then the statements from the truck that was replaced. If they can't provide that, then there is a likely reason that may not be to your advantage. I should add, the provided settlement statements should be generated copies from the carrier, not the owner.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
From what I hear through posts and talking to some of their trucks teams do very well and solos don't do as well. Talk to their drivers whenever you can. Get data specific to your potential situation, i.e. team/solo, truck size etc. from the recruiter and weigh it carefully. They could be the best place for you or they could be second best. Good luck.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

tallcal101

Veteran Expediter
A very brief comment.After six years with FEDEX,I have achieved,and most years,exceeded my goals.However,there are dry,rough times in this industry,and I am forever warning newbies to make certain this is what they want to do.
Don't know a thing about vans.

Peace2All

Expert Expediter
Teams do better than solos in most expediting companies. I don't advise a long haul trucker that is used to moving constantly to make the move to expediting. Why? Because you have to get used to sitting and this means for days at times. You never recoup these days, and it eats into your home time.

I want to make it clear that I do not bash other companies whether it is Panther II, Con-Way, Fed-Ex, etc. I believe all these companies have different things or perks to offer the driver. I was just giving details of my experience. Con-Way tows you for free if you are under a load and you break down; however, most of their loads pay $1.07/mile. Con-Way and Panther used to rely alot on the automobile parts industry. It has been some time now and I don't know if that is the case anymore. Not to mention this could be a problem if they still are because of the decline in the automotive industry. Fed-ex and Landstar have a variety of freight. They do not rely on automotive like the others. Landstar drivers get their loads through brokers and they can go online as well. As you can see they all seem to offer goodies.

I enjoyed expediting because it does give you a break. You don't have to work as hard because the loads tend to pay better than full-truck loads; however, I should mention that there is no consistency to your pay. Planning for bad months is imperative.

To be fair to all the companies I have to say they are all about the same. Moving from company to company cost you money so try to make the right fit the first time.

Hope this helps. One more thing, the right equipment is a big factor. Having too small of engine can hurt you. If you already bought it, I would recommend registering the vehicle under its GVW. This will help with fuel economy as well as with other cost. Never, never bog down a little expeditor unless it was a big truck made into an expeditor.

Fuel is a trucker's biggest expense. Don't idle if you don't have to and if you cannot stand the heat or cold invest in a generator or use IdleAire. I think that is how it is spelled.

Finally, trucker's invest your money in a retirement IRA or fund you can get a tax credit for doing so. Credits reduce your tax liability. Taking the per diem can hurt you. How? Yes, it reduces your bottom line which reduces the amount of taxes, but it reduces your income that is reported to social security as well. Remember, we are not getting any younger.

davebeckym

Expert Expediter
Social Security is a baaaad investment. Take the per diems and invest the 15% that you would have paid in SS & Medicare taxes, had you taken actual expences, in a IRA or 401.

woobergoober

Expert Expediter
Dave, great counter comment to the Social Security argument. I look at actual facts and statistics, and do not have any clue, on how there is going to be any money for people who will be attempting to draw money from their social security account in 20 or 30 years.

The social security system needs a severe and immediate overhaul, and lets face it, the government will not be doing that any time soon.

WG

Peace2All

Expert Expediter
I agree with you that SS is not the best investment; however, SS is not free money for the government. It was created as a supplement to retirement. It is still a great system.

Please do take the per diem. I never said not to, but just be aware of what it does to SS. That was my point. Thanks

Most people do not take this into consideration. Most of us live for today and we fail to plan for the future. I was trying to put something out here to make people think:)

Peace2All

Expert Expediter
The social security system needs a severe and immediate overhaul, and lets face it, the government will not be doing that any time soon.

To respond to the above comment:

This money should be growing. It is not there to help pay the deficit. We are suppose to have brilliant minds running our budgets, but with everything involving money there are accounting loopholes. These holes in the system are what need to be patched. You will never have a perfect system as long as humans are running it. Why? Human error.

I agree with you. We all need to take our future into our own hands, but unless you are the sole person caring for your nest egg there will be problems. Investment companies are being caught on a daily basis for fraud or for pinching perks. With that being said, investments should take into account future issues not only past issues.

We are the government. We have the power to change things, we just fail to use that power.

I plan to lobby this year for a credit for truckers for hauling cheap freight. This credit will reduce our tax liability. Too many truckers are going bankrupt. Hopefully I can get some good points or different thinking to help me here.