expediters information - runnig a van - truck

jimbo van

Expert Expediter
:) Hi,Any one out there ever run a cargo van?Is there any money in it?ANY help would be really be appreciated!Thanks Jim -After reading some of the forum it looks like 40,000.00 a year or so is about right??Seems to low,For being on the road so much.Better to just go for a truck?

Turbod_86_stang

Expert Expediter
I started about 6 weeks ago with an e-350 cargo van and signed onto Try Hours out of Maumee, OH. They keep me busy and i am usually gone 2-3 nights a week. Only working weekdays and mostly 4 days(because of choice) i am averaging about 750-850 a week after expenses. I do not regret starting in a van but if your income needs to be higher you should probably go to a bigger truck. Unless you want to drive the wheels off a van. I like the vans because of no logging/scaling and i am usually loaded or unloaded at stops in under 15 minutes! I would say with maintanance and fuel is is costing me 12-13 dollars per 100 miles to drive. Not much deadheading either. Like i said its working out for me and suits me income wise. I hope this info helps. feel free to ask more questions...:7

jimbo van

Expert Expediter
Hello Turbod_86_stang,Thanks for the info.!750.00 - 850.00 a week after expenses would be great!I was planing on being out for 2 weeks at a time or so and home for 3 days I hope.I will email you.I live in Va. near Wash. D.C.,Not sure thise is a good location?Well thanks for the help.Jim
:)

apollo

Expert Expediter
I am considering a van also...an E 350 ext Cargo. I have looked at them, but haven't really done any measuring of the cargo area. How much room is there for a load and how much room is left for sleeping, etc. ?

Thanks,

Apollo
:)

Turbod_86_stang

Expert Expediter
Hey apollo, I hope these help. these are pics of my van and though i am not totally done i am close...

[link:community.webshots.com/album/193437455phSkaR|My Van Pics]

Good luck and drive safe!

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
>Hey apollo, I hope these help. these are pics of my van and
>though i am not totally done i am close...
>
>Good luck and drive safe!

Hey 'Stang...

Great pics! Thanks for sharing them with us.. it's always nice when people share how they set up their van. It gives other van people ideas they wouldn't have thought of. I personally like the fridge in place of the passenger seat. Great use of space!

Dreamer

Turbod_86_stang

Expert Expediter
I don't have a CDL. Only would need one for haz-mat.

Thx Dreamer... I knew that not being a stretch van i would need all the space i could get. This van is fully paid for so i am gonna drive the wheels off it.. One thing i didn't mention is i have an FM wireless modulator hooked to my laptop. The laptop has almost 1500 songs on it. So i can create a playlist when i stop and turn on the modulator, tune in the station i select from the modulator, and play my laptop music through the truck stereo. It was definatly worth the $30 from Radio Shack. Another thing is that fridge uses hardly any power... when i turn it on it surges some to about 400 watts.. but once it levels off it only uses between 80-120 watts.. i was amazed and the small usage on the batteries. And it only runs for say 12-15 minutes out of an hours (without opening it alot). That fridge only cost me $65 from target. Anyways i hope these suggestions help you.

Good luck and drive safe.