Expediter, you've gone to far!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
While on subject of safety I gotta ask,,,Why ya running in the construction zone with tight lanes,up against the barrier wall,oversize load,,,,With your cruise on? :D

For those of you that have never done oversized loads:

The rules regarding these loads are VERY stringent. In fact the load is not allowed to leave the shipper's property before ALL state and local transport permits have been received by the truck hauling the load. It is the states and cities that the load is traveling through (off interstate hwys) that route the truck. Not the driver, the carrier, shipper, or receiver. ALL permit routing and posted construction zone laws must be followed or the fines on an oversized load can be in the thousands and even ten thousand dollars or more.

Why did the states of TX, LA, MS, and AL choose to route me through this construction zone and others rather than route me around it? I don't know. Ask Deville. He might know. He claims to know a lot. :p All I know is that I do exactly what my permits tell me unless the road is impassable when I get there. If so I have to immediately pull to the side of the road, call the permitting office and wait for new legal routing to be approved.

Also, the speed and density of traffic at the time allowed for me to SAFELY run my cruise so as to maintain a consistant speed.

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
I guess I don't understand the question. No matter. Why is running legal a CYA thing? If the posted limit is 65 and the rest are running 75 why is my refusing to run illegal and informing dispatch of the problem CYA?
So you want to stay with the deflected tangential issue. OK, fine.

Because if you fail to inform dispatch of the problem and you are falling behind because of something the others are doing, and something happens to the load, then dispatch will look at you as being the odd man out and the one responsible for falling behind and possibly the one responsible for whatever happened to the load. I'm not saying that you shouldn't CYA by informing dispatch. Just the opposite, that CYA is the smart and prudent thing to do.

How is that falling behind?
Either you're keeping up, or you're falling behind. It's pretty cut and dry. If they're speeding and you're not, then you're falling behind.

They were breaking the law, not us. Should my truck be required to break the law to "keep up"?
Of course not.

Would you run illegal to "keep up"?
Newp

Smart.

In my opinion anyone who does should be cut from the fleet.
I share the same opinion. Safe, legal, on-time. Got to have all three. Any two without the third and it's meaningless.

I don't agree with posting truck numbers and carriers in this forum. It serves no purpose. No one would have "proof" so to speak and for all we know it is just a ploy to discredit someone. Calling a carrier to report a safety issue could be seen as different. They have the ability to investigate the issue, we in here, do not.
That answers the question, sort of. Of course, my question was more rhetorical than anything, and was used to make a point, a point of which you mention here. People won't post names and numbers here, because they have no proof and doing so would be considered a ploy to discredit someone, not to mention that in doing so here online they would open themselves up to libel.

On the other hand, people will call a carrier with the same amount of proof (none), knowing full well that they are pretty much absolved from any slander (and certainly libel) issues. There are certainly times when people call into a carrier to discredit someone. I have a friend who was driving 55 MPH in the right lane on the Ohio Turnpike, and some yahoo big truck driver apparently didn't want to change lanes to go around, so he flashed lights and honked horns, and could very well have called his carrier and reported anything he felt like reporting, that the driver was weaving in and out of his lane, speeding up and slowing down, driving like he was drunk, anything he wanted to say, because no proof is required.

Fact is, with few exceptions if you see something regarding safety that should be reported instead of talking directly to the driver about it, it should be reported to the police, not the carrier. If your story won't hold up with the police, then it probably shouldn't be reported to the carrier, either, since it's nothing more than a he-said she-said thing. Sure, carriers can do limited research, and someone with a history of call-ins could be seen as a problem, but by and large making an accusation without proof is at the very least icky. Wait until you're on the receiving end of one of those baseless complaints or having been accused of something you flat out did not do, and you'll understand what I mean.

As a side note, the one that cracks me up is that there are some people who think carriers track people in real-time via the QC or C-Link.

Everyone on the road, civilians and professionals alike, will do something stupid and unsafe every now and then. This includes all you holier-than-thou folks who are perfect, perfect, perfect, despite busting a lane every now and then (there are precious few drivers who have never veered even slightly across the zipper or inadvertently found themselves riding the warning rumble strips on the shoulder) or looking down at the speedometer and realizing that you're a few miles an hour over the limit, actually engaging the cruise control in a construction zone, typing on the QC wile driving, distracted driving even when you claim not to be distracted, following too closely, intentionally running significantly slower than the mass of traffic around them, or unintentionally cutting someone off when changing lanes.

An immediate safety situation, like someone driving the wrong way on the Interstate, or driving with no lights, or someone driving in a manner that indicates they are clearly drunk or otherwise impaired, sure, that's when you call the police. But calling a carrier in a self-deluded fantasy that you're making the roads safer for everyone is nothing more than feeling better about yourself for being a tattle-tail and some twisted desire to control others, because your phone calls to carriers have zero impact on the safety of our roads. At most, it will mean a bad driver is right back there on the road next week with a different logo on the truck. Good job. It's better to make sure your ducks are all in a row and that you're as safe as you can be, and then stay out of the way of the other guy, who almost certainly isn't as perfect as you.

See, the thing is, there is someone posting about calling carriers in this thread who I have personally witnessed doing something unsafe and just brain-dead stupid. I'm willing to bet that if he witnessed someone else doing the same thing that he'd have been on the phone toot sweet to the carrier. All I'm saying is, some of you may want to reconsider the wisdom of having that big pile of rocks in the living room of your glass house.

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Wouldn't it be the noble thing to do if the van driver in question were to come on this forum and verify my story (so Deville would stop calling me a liar) and fess up to his wrong doings that day. God, I must really live in a dream world! LOL

Streakn1

Veteran Expediter
Turtle; Fact is said:
Wish I could agree 100% with you Turtle on calling the police. Sadly their hands are tied in such situations. What I mean is unless the officer actually witnesses the driver doing what your complaint states that he/she is doing, the officer cannot cite this person. Its sad but true.

I would like you to back your statement with facts and valid reasons as to why you believe it is "stupid and unsafe" engaging the cruise control in a construction zone. Have you never driven through one where the trafic was light and moving at a consistant speed. Plus, if needed, how much longer does it really take you to kick off your cruise control verses let up on the throttle to slow your vehicle down? If you are following a safe distance then there should not be an issue if it takes an extra second more, should it?

Turtle. I'm waiting!

Last edited:

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Wish I could agree 100% with you Turtle on calling the police. Sadly their hands are tied in such situations. What I mean is unless the officer actually witnesses the driver doing what your complaint states that he/she is doing, the officer cannot cite this person. Its sad but true.
That's why I don't advocate calling the police, or a carrier, for some random unsafe transgression, because it's just your word against theirs most of the time. All it amounts to is calling the carrier and whining, "Hey, one of your drivers just pіssed me off!" If some guy changes lanes without a turn signal (which falls under reckless driving, actually), there's no point in calling anyone about it even though it's obviously unsafe, because nothing can be done about it. But, when someone is driving the wrong way on an Interstate or is clearly impaired or has something physically wrong with their vehicle (be it a bumper that's ready to fall off or lose straps on a flatbed), then whatever the safety issue might be will very likely still be there when the police arrive. That's when you call the police.

I would like you to back your statement with facts and valid reasons as to why you believe it is "stupid and unsafe" engaging the cruise control in a construction zone. Have you never driven through one where the trafic was light and moving at a consistant speed. Plus, if needed, how much longer does it really take you to kick off your cruise control verses let up on the throttle to slow your vehicle down? If you are following a safe distance then there should not be an issue if it take a second more, should it?
Cruise control is an electronic control, not a mechanical one, just like the electronic computer control that causes Toyotas to accelerate out of control for no reason. There have been recalls for cruise controls, so they are not perfect or infallible. Being a computer geek, I know that computers are generally very reliable and don't mess up, but then again I've also seen computers do truly bizarre things. Cruise controls have been known to speed up and disengage for no apparent reason. Generally they don't speed up to ridiculous speeds, but it has happened and it can happen again. They will often merely over-accelerate to regain the "set" speed if the vehicle has slowed down, usually in hilly areas, but it also happens at slower speeds, usually at speeds below 50 MPH (the speeds of most construction zones), where a more narrow over/under speed range can kick the acceleration in. If the construction zone is on relative flat and straight ground, it's probably not going to be an issue, otherwise it very well could be. Sometimes it takes 2 or even 3 taps on the brake to disengage the cruise, either because of some kind of quirk within the cruise control or because the driver thinks he's tapping the brake pedal hard enough when he really isn't.

Cruise control introduces another variable into the safety equation, and a construction zone is already replete with safety variables. When you introduce cruise control into the variable mix, you are introducing two variables, that of whether or not the electronic computer control will actually work properly, and that of having to be mentally aware of the satisfactory operation of an electronic computer controlled cruise control. Handing over the control of the speed of a vehicle to a computer is relinquishing partial control of the vehicle. There is simply no way that someone can convincingly state that driving through a construction zone with the cruise control on is safer than driving through one with no cruise control. And since cruise control introduces at least one additional safety variable, it's not just as safe, either.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why is it a bad idea to post names or truck numbers here with zero proof, yet it's enthusiastically recommended that you call their carrier with the same exact amount of proof?

Ohhhh, so close, but I'm sorry, that doesn't really answer the question. But thanks for playing the game! We have some lovely parting gifts for you.

And now for our next contestant....

Alex: "Streakn1"

STREAKN1: "Who are Ruben and the Jets?"

Alex: "Sorry, that is incorrect."

Alex: "Moot."

Moot: "um, ah...When did they come from?"

Alex: "What the ??? No! Wrong answer.

Alex: "Deville"

Deville: "What is hypocrisy?"

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Cruise control is an electronic control, not a mechanical one, just like the electronic computer control that causes Toyotas to accelerate out of control for no reason. There have been recalls for cruise controls, so they are not perfect or infallible. Being a computer geek, I know that computers are generally very reliable and don't mess up, but then again I've also seen computers do truly bizarre things. Cruise controls have been known to speed up and disengage for no apparent reason. Generally they don't speed up to ridiculous speeds, but it has happened and it can happen again. They will often merely over-accelerate to regain the "set" speed if the vehicle has slowed down, usually in hilly areas, but it also happens at slower speeds, usually at speeds below 50 MPH (the speeds of most construction zones), where a more narrow over/under speed range can kick the acceleration in. If the construction zone is on relative flat and straight ground, it's probably not going to be an issue, otherwise it very well could be. Sometimes it takes 2 or even 3 taps on the brake to disengage the cruise, either because of some kind of quirk within the cruise control or because the driver thinks he's tapping the brake pedal hard enough when he really isn't.

Cruise control introduces another variable into the safety equation, and a construction zone is already replete with safety variables. When you introduce cruise control into the variable mix, you are introducing two variables, that of whether or not the electronic computer control will actually work properly, and that of having to be mentally aware of the satisfactory operation of an electronic computer controlled cruise control. Handing over the control of the speed of a vehicle to a computer is relinquishing partial control of the vehicle. There is simply no way that someone can convincingly state that driving through a construction zone with the cruise control on is safer than driving through one with no cruise control. And since cruise control introduces at least one additional safety variable, it's not just as safe, either.
Do you mean something like this?? :eek::cool:
Streakn1 said:
For a few days I was beginning to believe that our Kenworth had Toyota parts instead of Paccar in it. Especially when it started acting like a "run away Toyota!"

Last week we experienced sudden intermittent and un-controlled excelleration and decelleration in our 2007 T-600 Kenworth while the cruise control was set. This could have been quite dangerous and possibly caused an accident. Since we are not governed, the truck was able to take off like a scalded rabbit. Quite scary to say the least. When the cruise was off, the speedometer would intermittently fluctuate even though we were maintaining a constant speed. At times this fluctuation would cause the engine diagnostics to alert a check engine warning.

Through our "Road Relay" which is an optional advanced diagnostic system installed from the factory on our truck, we learned that the "speed sensor" on the transmission was going bad and it was instructing us to have it checked and replaced. The mechanic at Kenworth confirmed that this was in fact the problem and a new sensor and wiring harness were installed. Problem corrected and no further incidents since.

These sensors provide vital information to the engine's ecm that control speed, engine rpms, and shifting commands of the autoshift transmissions. Failure will cause the above mentioned symptoms.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Do you mean something like this?? :eek::cool:
Holy crap on a cracker! Yes, exactly like that. I had not seen that post, otherwise my response would have been decidedly different. I am dumbfounded that anyone who has experienced the very things I talked about could actually defend their decision to use cruise control in a construction zone, much less ask me to back up my statement with "facts and valid reasons" as to why the operation of the cruise control in a construction zone was both "stupid and unsafe".

I had almost reached the point in thinking that my use of the word "stupid" was over the top and out of line. In light of the above, I think I was quite lenient and over-the-top-kind in my word choice.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Also, the speed and density of traffic at the time allowed for me to SAFELY run my cruise so as to maintain a consistant speed.

Streakn I was just poking at ya,,No doubt in my mind you know what you doing.. If I'm going to tuck in behind a big truck and run with him (or her) Ill usually pick a flatbed as I feel most of them have their sheet together more so then the typical freight hauler.Plus I can usually see better around em.

Last edited:

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
We ALL do stupid and unsafe things at times.

Absolutely agree! It could well be ME that Turtle saw - I've done some stupid things in my years of driving. :eek:
I'd never report a driver to their carrier for a minor transgression, but for a prolonged display of aggressive driving, I probably would. Though I never have yet, it could happen.

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Absolutely agree! It could well be ME that Turtle saw - I've done some stupid things in my years of driving. :eek:
I'd never report a driver to their carrier for a minor transgression, but for a prolonged display of aggressive driving, I probably would. Though I never have yet, it could happen.

Cheri I agree we have all done stupid things and I have wished many times that I could thank the person who was watching out for me and reacted correctly. When I get frustrated with someone for their lack of attention I remind myself of some of my not so brilliant moves.

I would report someone as Cheri says for a major offense to their carrier but it would have to be major. I normally do not have a problem with road rage or frustration when driving as we run into traffic jams and delays way to often and drivers who just do not pay attention. We also are one of the slower trucks on the road and I do not have the frustration of constantly having to pass someone so I can get there first.

jaminjim

Veteran Expediter
Holy crap on a cracker! Yes, exactly like that. I had not seen that post, otherwise my response would have been decidedly different. I am dumbfounded that anyone who has experienced the very things I talked about could actually defend their decision to use cruise control in a construction zone, much less ask me to back up my statement with "facts and valid reasons" as to why the operation of the cruise control in a construction zone was both "stupid and unsafe".

I had almost reached the point in thinking that my use of the word "stupid" was over the top and out of line. In light of the above, I think I was quite lenient and over-the-top-kind in my word choice.

I thought you might have missed it or forgotten about that post. Just trying to be helpful. :D

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Cheri I agree we have all done stupid things and I have wished many times that I could thank the person who was watching out for me and reacted correctly.

You can thank em,,its channel 19 because you can bet your bottom dollar he is on there letting every other truck out there now that you just drifted into his lane or what ever the mistake was..Many times I told someone I was sorry (I couldn't get over etc etc)and I appreciated him watching out for me..most of the time it will end him getting irate on the C>B and results in a good ride while shooting the bull with the guy for a few miles..

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
I don't even have a CB in this truck, and it's often a 4 wheeler involved - but it helps to remember that I've done a few idiotic things [though not aggressively] when I get annoyed with another driver. Driving a truck has taught me patience - we don't do anything very fast, lol.:)

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
we don't do anything very fast, lol.:)

YOu must be a union driver :D

6 pages of talking and no one is really mentioning what caused all this..
Passing on the right,,which I thought we had laws against,(maybe Im wrong)Maybe we do need a law that includes no passing in active work zone..(Yeah I know more laws to be broken.)

I think its the fact ppl cant stand to be behind someone else,,no matter how far they can get in front of me,,they must feel they are ahead of the game.I dont get it.

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
YOu must be a union driver :D
Nope - just the driver of a truck that doesn't do 'impulsive' well, if at all.

6 pages of talking and no one is really mentioning what caused all this..
What caused it was that devil impatience - the root of much stupid driving behavior. [Along with arrogance fueled by anonymity].
Passing on the right,,which I thought we had laws against,(maybe Im wrong)Maybe we do need a law that includes no passing in active work zone..(Yeah I know more laws to be broken.)

I think its the fact ppl cant stand to be behind someone else,,no matter how far they can get in front of me,,they must feel they are ahead of the game.I dont get it.
You think they'd eventually notice: no matter how many vehicles they pass, there's always more ahead, eh? :rolleyes:

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
It doesn't matter what signage they put up..people do want they want anyhow..I just went thru the 45 mph zone in Dayton on 75 all by myself....meaning the average speed looked to be 60-65...I sped up a bit as not to be a safety hazard...

come to think of it..why is it ..I feel I must speed up and break a law not to be a safety hazard?

Status
Not open for further replies.