Expedited drivers – a hot commodity?

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Throughout the first six years of this century, the experienced expedited driver was in high demand. As the wheels loosened and begin to come off the expedited industry in 2007, few of us recognized the growing disparity of trucks to loads available ratio that began just that long ago. By the end of 2008 everyone recognized that a dramatic change had taken place. Half way through 2009 many of your fellow drivers are without trucks, and without a job.

In 2005 through 2006 experienced teams demanded and received the best equipment on the road. Many owner operators riding the wave of demand, bought trucks that had more amenities than the houses or apartments in which they lived. Sadly many of those trucks have been repossessed and those teams are now seeking employment.

Those who continue to survive are those who have either been very lucky by driving for intelligent owners, or those owner operators who had the foresight to see this industry as an opportunity for intelligent business people; those who understood that demand would fluctuate and that fools and their money are soon parted.

Those who remain, both the lucky and the business savvy probably understand that attitude, cheerfulness and the ability to make intelligent decisions will keep them in demand. Those who complain constantly, and exhibit attitudes that say to their owners, “I am doing you a favor” should be aware that many of those who were unfortunate enough to lose their rides are still looking for a job and an opportunity to earn a living. If you have a poor attitude, gripe about your loads, constantly contact your owner with complaints of one nature or another, it very well could be your job that those unfortunates land. You should always attempt to be early for your pickups and destination. Stay in the seat, hold up your end of the bargain and your efforts will be noticed.

Our niche in the transportation industry continues to provide thousands more trucks than needed at the present time. Many smaller expedited companies are feeling the squeeze and exhibiting a knee jerk reaction by bidding freight at rates that fail to cover costs. Some of the larger expedited carriers are feeling the squeeze as well, some refusing to pay other carriers to which they have brokered freight, with others actually owing individuals drivers tens of thousands of dollars. The paring process continues and many more will fall. Carriers bid for the largest portion of their business through various 3PL’s, many of which the typical driver is totally unaware. Carriers that continue to bid freight at losses will themselves lose, and find that the industry simply does not care if they succeed or fail. Shippers are merely taking what many of these low bidding companies bid and those expediters who operate at a loss to continue business eventually fall by the wayside.

If you are an owner operator and your carrier owes you money…get out now. It is only going to get worse for you. If you are a driver and your owner owes you back wages, find a new owner. If you are one of the lucky or intelligent ones, understand that if you are not being paid, you must adjust your opinion of your owner or carrier. Don’t let their bad decisions take you down.

Here’s another tip. If you are applying for a driving position in our industry, you are competing with a minimum of 20 others for that position. Just because you get the job doesn’t make you irreplaceable. You should always attempt to be early for your pickups and destination. Stay in the seat, hold up your end of the bargain and your efforts will be noticed. There are at least 19 others behind you looking for an honest living.

Eventually supply and demand find a way to balance. If you are still around at that time, the expedited industry will be a fine place to reside.

Tom Robertson
A. Blair Enterprises

Reactions: 1 person

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Those who remain, both the lucky and the business savvy probably understand that attitude, cheerfulness and the ability to make intelligent decisions will keep them in demand. Those who complain constantly, and exhibit attitudes that say to their owners, “I am doing you a favor” should be aware that many of those who were unfortunate enough to lose their rides are still looking for a job and an opportunity to earn a living. If you have a poor attitude, gripe about your loads, constantly contact your owner with complaints of one nature or another, it very well could be your job that those unfortunates land. You should always attempt to be early for your pickups and destination. Stay in the seat, hold up your end of the bargain and your efforts will be noticed.

That paragraph is a wealth of information and the exact thing i told a bad attitude driver here about a yr ago...You can live or die by your attitude...and that is not just in this business but in most anything you do...but it is especially true when you are working in a "service industry"....Remember it!!!

Very good post!!

PS: you need to be very aware of your attitude , you may not even be aware how you are coming across...my wife tells me all the time, "its not what you say, its how you say it"

Make a extra effort to be as pleasant to everyone, but especially the Shippers and consignees you come in touch with daily....

Last edited:

Dreammaker

Seasoned Expediter
I thank both shippers and cons for their business. Occasionally, you will meet the person who actually calls your company to book loads. It happened recently at a high dollar shipper. The guy said he had never had a driver thank him for his business. He said he would be calling our company for more business. Sometimes, you just have to scratch your head.

piper1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In the equipment part of that theme...

One of the larger fleets up here has ordered a bunch of new trucks that are sparse on creature comforts to say the least. Such things as tilt steering and cab insulation have been deleted (even tho they are standard on the model ordered). The fleet owners attitude is "I ain't beggin 'em to come work here anymore, now they are lined up at the gate begging me!" Sure hope he plans on that being the case for the 5 year life of the truck! Pretty short sighted thinking if you ask me to save a few hundred per truck.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Good and accurate post.
Be careful using that word "luck" too many times.
There is a few that say it doesn't exist.:D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Good and accurate post.
Be careful using that word "luck" too many times.
There is a few that say it doesn't exist.:D

Yea Dave there are some who say there is no such thing as luck in this business, just a good business sense..... because they proved it.... but .......

TeamCaffee

Administrator
Staff member
Owner/Operator
Great post Tom.

I feel as if luck is a result of preparation or being prepared for any situation.

highway star

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Great post Tom.

I feel as if luck is a result of preparation or being prepared for any situation.

You make your own luck, no doubt! But, it can just come out of the clear blue. You may take a load to Timbuc2, certain that you'll be deadheading out. Dispatch surprises you with a load picking up tomorrow, just a stones throw away. That would qualify as good luck, IMHO. Or, you do deadhead to a busy area, only too find that freight is in a dry spell there. That would be bad luck, IMHO. Now, some might respond to this with something like, "freight moving isn't luck, it's the act of a shipper shipping freight". Well, ahhh, DUH! The luck comes when you're there when that shipper ships. Common sense says, luck is real.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
An attitude story....

The other day I was yacking with a straight truck driver...He'd been sitting the weekend in Minniapolis and he asks me...

Do you think we'll get a load to-day? And then he goes on and on about a bad area for freight...grumble, grumble....

I replied...yes...I'll get a load today...he said what makes you think that?

Well I replied...if I didn't think I'd get a load..what am I doing in this business....Doh? He goes on to berate the dispatch staff...saying they gave him the usual lip service..."We are actively looking for a load for you"

I said you are right they are just sitting in there doing their nails and fluffing their hair waiting till quitting time...*LOL*

anyhow he went on and on moan and groan.....

I always expect a load today.....how can you expect less?

BTW..about 20 minutes after he trudged back to his truck I did get that load... :)

Tom great post!

Last edited:

arkjarhead

Veteran Expediter
It's not only expedite owners that have alot of people wanting to go to work for them. I had my phone number on my truck thinking maybe someone would see it and call me with some work. I mean it is a pretty cheap form of advertisment. I had to take it off of there because drivers were seeing the number at truck stops or going down the road and call me and ask if I needed any drivers or had an open truck. It was a big hassel getting my phone blown up like that all day everyday.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Dave KC...

Dave KC...

Notice the context. The lucky ones I was referring to drive for you, x06col and other seasoned pro’s who have established their own set of rules and regulations for drivers in their trucks; rules regarding shipment acceptance, limits to deadhead mileage and many other decisions that you as intelligent owners impose on those drivers. These are the "lucky" ones to which I referred.

“Those who continue to survive are those who have either been very lucky by driving for intelligent owners, or those owner operators who had the foresight to see this industry as an opportunity for intelligent business people;”

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Dave KC...

Dave KC...

Notice the context. The lucky ones I was referring to drive for you, x06col and other seasoned pro’s who have established their own set of rules and regulations for drivers in their trucks; rules regarding shipment acceptance, limits to deadhead mileage and many other decisions that you as intelligent owners impose on those drivers. These are the "lucky" ones to which I referred.

“Those who continue to survive are those who have either been very lucky by driving for intelligent owners, or those owner operators who had the foresight to see this industry as an opportunity for intelligent business people;”

10-4..............the "lucky" part was in reference to a member that six months ago said it didn't exist.
You are spot on with your observations.

greg334

Veteran Expediter

So Tom, I wonder where I fall into this?

I am not the lucky driver or a fleet owner but a persistent owner who sees the opportunities all over the place and I have to think outside of the box to survive. I also set my own rules, they fit my needs as I define my needs which were not created by some expert who never left their comfort zone.

I am not with a company like FedEx where I am just part of the fleet and don't have to just put in where I want to layover into the qualcomm and wait for a call.

I'm part of a company where there is an accountability only to myself simply because I have to sell myself and my truck to people who either call me or don't with their loads based on my salesmanship. If I can't sell what I have to offer, I fail but haven't yet. I don't have that luxury to have the employee mentality that a number of companies like many of their drivers to have, I have had to learn quickly about the realities of this business and make decisions to change things on the fly. My reality is that I compete with vans more often than not because of my size and what I can haul and I have to make sure that I am doing whats right for me first, customer second.

My truck is old but it works and knowing that that the shipper does not ever care what hauls the freight, I have not trapped myself by some shallow vanity or a sick form of elitism that is prevalent within some companies and groups in this business.

I was called a failure by the "expert" who neither had to deal with competition nor worked outside of the box of their comfort zone. I complain not to complain but to find solutions through responses by others and the outcome is sometimes people learn from my reality.

By the way Tom, I found out there are a lot of people in this business just like me. They have weathered the storm not being a driver or a fleet owner but being a plain old truck owner and driver. They learned to think outside of the box that help them survive and leverage opportunities that others can not.

Tom Robertson

Veteran Expediter
Greg...

I beleive I included everyone~

Refer to the quote...

"or those owner operators who had the foresight to see this industry as an opportunity for intelligent business people"

I assume if you own and drive the truck, you would be considered an "owner operator"

and congratulations on your success!

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Yes, good post Tom. Betca those the folks that you type about have real 20/20 vision in hindsight these days. I know the ones that figgured I wuz crazy do. But, it's made them better in a business mode, and when a person mode after their bump. Builds their character a bit I guess. Problem is, if they couldn't be trusted to stand up to the plate when "they' had it all on the line, why could they possibly expect you or I to trust them with their shirts on their back??? I'm sure it'll keep going around, and around.

Dynamite 1

Staff member
Fleet Owner
i heard you were back. welcome!!!!! you are rite, those who pay attention to details and remember this is a business will be around to see the future. take care of your business and it will take care of you, dont be afraid to go the extra mile, especialy in this economy.anything you can do to help might reap rewards later.