Expedite Dispatch

bbrs2000

Active Expediter
Hi,
I will appreciate If someone who works as a Sprinter/Cargo Van dispatch could send me PM, I have few questions and looking for advise.

Thank you

bbrs2000

Active Expediter
Ok... have my Sprinter and my authority/insurance, I am hauling freight for 2 small expedite companys but I am not happy with miles and loads. I am planing to get one more Sprinter and driver and I want to search loads for myself from Loadboards. I would like to get advise what load boards I should use for backhaul freight and what load boards are free and what load boards will accept company with 1-2 units. (I have Panther board only)

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
then you need to get load carrying agreements with other carriers for access to their boards just like you did with panther. there is no magic sprinter load board.

you might want to search out "load boards" thru advanced search for other board recommendations.

bbrs2000

Active Expediter
Ok, But I still need some info from someone who work as a expedite dispatch...
If there is expedite dispatch here please send me PM

Thanks

mcavoy33

Seasoned Expediter
Ok... have my Sprinter and my authority/insurance, I am hauling freight for 2 small expedite companys but I am not happy with miles and loads. I am planing to get one more Sprinter and driver and I want to search loads for myself from Loadboards. I would like to get advise what load boards I should use for backhaul freight and what load boards are free and what load boards will accept company with 1-2 units. (I have Panther board only)

Sounds like your throwing good money after bad by buying a 2nd -printer. Getting a 2nd sprinter won't all of a sudden get you more loads. I would get your own authority and do the load board thing for your first Sprinter first. Having a 2nd sprinter isn't going to open up a wealth of new boards. Imo

Have you considered getting contracts with local companies?

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
Are you working as a dispatch? I need some advice

I am not any type agent for eclipse. But yes I have had my own authority and dispatched my own trucks with expedite freight.

when you say you have your authority do you mean you have an MC# or do you just have a dot# and insurance? if you have an MC# I can help you but you will have to pm me your phone # if you tell me what area you run I can give you some numbers for companies that may help you.

Camper

Not a Member
Since you have a load carrying agreement with Panther, the obvious route would be to contact other carriers about arranging similar agreements with them.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
Since you have a load carrying agreement with Panther, the obvious route would be to contact other carriers about arranging similar agreements with them.

Thats one approach and a real good start but dont stop there.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Ok... have my Sprinter and my authority/insurance, I am hauling freight for 2 small expedite companys but I am not happy with miles and loads. I am planing to get one more Sprinter and driver and I want to search loads for myself from Loadboards.

Well two small companies won't really fulfill your needs so why not think out of the box and talk to all of them?

Why event think about a second one when you can't keep the first one filled?

Van freight isn't the easiest to get.

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
If you are the kind of guy who wants to be home every couple days this is not the business for you. That is what it sounds like when you say backhaul. If you are looking for the next load to somewhere then get those agreements.

If you are looking for brokers, if that is what you mean by expedite dispatch, like I said go to the advanced search and call them. They will not call you first. They have their trucks. You appear unwilling to take the initial step to develop the relationship.

ONESTACK

Expert Expediter
The first thing you need to know is that there is no such thing as a back haul. It cost just as much to run from New York to Illinois as it does to run from Ilolinois to New York.I don't understand someone calling it a back haul. Safe trucking to you.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I don't understand someone calling it a back haul. Safe trucking to you.

Maybe I can help ya with understanding it..its preety simply and the term has been used for some time now. :D

Trucking Freight Glossary - Shipping Glossary
Backhaul - Refers to a load of freight which permits a trucker to return to his home with a loaded truck, rather than an empty one.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Maybe I can help ya with understanding it..its preety simply and the term has been used for some time now. :D

Trucking Freight Glossary - Shipping Glossary
Backhaul - Refers to a load of freight which permits a trucker to return to his home with a loaded truck, rather than an empty one.

I think he understands the term but the point is why should the pay be less since the miles are the same.

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Camper

Not a Member
I think he understands the term but the point is why should the pay be less since the miles are the same.

If he wants the backhaul bad enough, he'll take what he's offered at the prevailing rate...Otherwise, he can continue to wait for that pie in the sky run which may never come to pass.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter

Freight always gets cheaper as more people get their hands into it. It doesn't mean it's "cheap" at all. A backhaul is any load from a source other than your own that puts your trucks back where you want them.

Someone running for Express-1 might get info to pick up a load for Bolt Express in a certain town. Some might argue that that could constitute a backhaul, so to speak. E-1 isn't making as much off it as with their own customer, because Bolt is keeping a piece of the pie. Suddenly, competitors have found mutual benefit in helping each other. Bolt doesn't have to say no to the customer, and E-1 gets their truck loaded that much quicker, moving them towards an area where they themselves have a stronger customer base. It's called cooperation. It's not necessarily called cheap.

It's amazing that I've been contacted by carriers within the Alliance that just don't get the concept, so their trucks suffer. We need help on moving a customer's load in Florida. Let's say we book it for an all in rate that comes to about $2.70 a mile. Various people including your carrier might give us quotes all around $2.00 per mile mark. (They then pay your str. truck 1.60-1.65 a mile.) Suddenly one guy emails me, quoting me $2.70 per mile. He's offended when I tell him that someone wants to do it for 1.90. His reply is, "This isn't a back haul load, it's a hotshot." I reply, "I'm just telling you what my partners are quoting me." Then I say, "Of course it's a hotshot load. It's just that it's not YOUR hotshot load."

Because that gentleman was unwilling to book anything for his truck that he couldn't make 45% on, his trucks only had one way freight out of their hot zone, then must DH long distances. It's really sad.

Reactions: Bodmarley

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
Freight always gets cheaper as more people get their hands into it. It doesn't mean it's "cheap" at all. A backhaul is any load from a source other than your own that puts your trucks back where you want them.

Someone running for Express-1 might get info to pick up a load for Bolt Express in a certain town. Some might argue that that could constitute a backhaul, so to speak. E-1 isn't making as much off it as with their own customer, because Bolt is keeping a piece of the pie. Suddenly, competitors have found mutual benefit in helping each other. Bolt doesn't have to say no to the customer, and E-1 gets their truck loaded that much quicker, moving them towards an area where they themselves have a stronger customer base. It's called cooperation. It's not necessarily called cheap.

It's amazing that I've been contacted by carriers within the Alliance that just don't get the concept, so their trucks suffer. We need help on moving a customer's load in Florida. Let's say we book it for an all in rate that comes to about $2.70 a mile. Various people including your carrier might give us quotes all around $2.00 per mile mark. (They then pay your str. truck 1.60-1.65 a mile.) Suddenly one guy emails me, quoting me $2.70 per mile. He's offended when I tell him that someone wants to do it for 1.90. His reply is, "This isn't a back haul load, it's a hotshot." I reply, "I'm just telling you what my partners are quoting me." Then I say, "Of course it's a hotshot load. It's just that it's not YOUR hotshot load."

Because that gentleman was unwilling to book anything for his truck that he couldn't make 45% on, his trucks only had one way freight out of their hot zone, then must DH long distances. It's really sad.

Goes on quite a bit actually.