Canada Expedite companies in Canada - information

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I live in Detroit, drive a D' unit, and I just saw this posting/thread today. I will tell you what ADCO told me. At first they were somewhat interested in a US based driver, then not taking any trucks on. The fellow Ravi is about the most uninterested person you ever want to talk to. Most recruiters want you to be attracted to their company, not turned off.
RJR may run hard and long as well (but I'm not to sure their tractors are going too well). Panther does run a lot of Canadian freight, but I doubt you would be happy with Landstar. They have no tractors in the expedite side.
RJR and most CA companies seem to not care much about HOS... except for Dynamex. They want straight trucks, but their vans and D's must be all WHITE.
If you know anything else about RJR, send me a personal note.

Shah786

Seasoned Expediter
i am looking for a job as owner operator(straight truck) and i live in Brant ford Ontario Canada could some one point me to wards a good company to work for.i don't wanna cross the border as i have small kids at home all help will be appreciated.:D

dean07

Seasoned Expediter
i would stay away from the following companies, cause i worked there and know what they are about, ROARING EXPRESS, reason i left there is that they say they will pay you 67% of the load, when you ask what the load grosses, they will never tell you, and i did the same trip to the same destination 3 or 4 times, and my price got lower with each delivery, lol, umm he is a thief.. ELITE MESSENGER, they are even bigger thieves then roaring, i will leave it at that. CTX, just look at my threads about them, HORRID!!!!, i AM HEARING THAT FOR THE BIG TRUCKS THAT TST will keep you pretty busy!

pjjjjj

Veteran Expediter
i am looking for a job as owner operator(straight truck) and i live in Brant ford Ontario Canada could some one point me to wards a good company to work for.i don't wanna cross the border as i have small kids at home all help will be appreciated.:D

I think they're all basically the same, everyone complains about all of them, for the most part. Take your pick. Oh, and as the good Col would say, your 'don't wanna' might get in the way with any of them.

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
Hello Everyone,

I'm a D truck driver O/O been in business for 9 years, worked with TST for 1 year, it was Ok at that time, to make the money with them you have to be on the list for a while, I lasted with thompson for 6 weeks,there was no decent run at that time 200-300 mile,
After that I moved to ltl, its very hard work, been with current company for almost 6 years.
I always wanted to drive a cargo van really, and I'm thinking about it now again, I'm wondering if the cargo van owners can give some info on the rates and yearly earning, I'm interested in Dynamax out of Cambridge, if anyone has any information.
Thank you so much

Highway_Man

Expert Expediter
I was with CTX for quite a few years when I first got into the business but got tired of the way things were there. I joined a company in Mississauga about 8 years ago called All Canadian Courier. I have a B unit and I like the fact that I have a dedicated route that gets me home every night and gives me guaranteed miles and money, which is really important in a crappy economy. I couldn't imagine trying to make my living on running Chrysler freight now a days. I must admit I don't miss sleeping in the parking lot of the Detroiter for days on end waiting for my next load.

cheech

Seasoned Expediter
Hey There
I,m in Montreal,have been working at the same company for 23 years now(CanPar Transport) as a city p&d Driver with a 5 ton straight body on the same route for about 18 years.So last year I decided I wanted to start driving on the highway(no more delivering and picking up 200-350 parcels a day)
At the time I had class 3 license with air and manual,with this license I could drive anything except a coach or tracter-trailer.So I decided to upgrade my license to a class 1,so off to driving school I go.And oh man what a shock I got going from 6 speed to 10-13 speed and 30 ft to over 70ft.It took some getting used to but I got the hang of it.Anyway so I pass everything and now I have my class 1.This is a unionized company so I have to wait for a position to be posted so I can bid on it and hope someone with more seniority does not out bid me.Well that was a year ago this week and still no highway job..I have had this licence for a year now and I did one trip Montreal to Larado texas and back with a buddy of mine in June when I was on vacation I drove about 1800 miles of it,the trip was 4250 miles.I loved every minute of it.But if I had the choice I would still rather drive a straight body,I guess cuz I'm so used to it after all these years.So about 3 months ago I started looking at other companies,And all I keep hearing is(YOU DON'T HAVE ENOUGH HIGHWAY EXPERIENCE)Two companies told me they would put me on the waiting list for driver training program,YANKE AND CHALLENGER MOTOR FREIGHT.These are the only two where I live that have this program. What a catch 22 situation, 23 years driving but with the wrong license.So last week I stumble across this web site FEDEX CUSTOM CRITICAL.So I called them the guy tells me the same thing (NOT ENOUGH EXPERIENCE ON THE HIGHWAY).He said if I was willing to get TDG CERTIFED and a criminal search done(WHICH I DID THIS WEEK) he would pair me up with another driver cuz out of Montreal there are only tractor-trailers and no straight body trucks.There are a lot of Expedited Transport co in Montreal but they all have tractor-trailers.Mostly all of them in Canada are in Ontario.Is it possible to live in Montreal and drive out of Ontario and bring the truck home when I'm off duty?
WO:confused:W WHAT A STORY.
So any help or advise from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

CheeCh

finbar73

Seasoned Expediter
just some canadian names to research mostly out of Mississauga.Over the road,DJA,PACEX,JUST RUSH.the recruiter at over the road was pretty straight forward with the info.and I have not heard to many if any bad things from drivers at dja.sorry for the lack of detail but just a few more ideas company wise

guido4475

Not a Member
I live in Detroit, drive a D' unit, and I just saw this posting/thread today. I will tell you what ADCO told me. At first they were somewhat interested in a US based driver, then not taking any trucks on. The fellow Ravi is about the most uninterested person you ever want to talk to. Most recruiters want you to be attracted to their company, not turned off.
RJR may run hard and long as well (but I'm not to sure their tractors are going too well). Panther does run a lot of Canadian freight, but I doubt you would be happy with Landstar. They have no tractors in the expedite side.
RJR and most CA companies seem to not care much about HOS... except for Dynamex. They want straight trucks, but their vans and D's must be all WHITE.
If you know anything else about RJR, send me a personal note.
There are actually a few tractor-trailer drivers at Landstar Express America.A close personal freind of mine is leased to them, for 3 years now.He bought his own trailer last year, and is doing well.I always loved landstar. They are a fair and honest company.And alot of fun to work for.I have been told by some freinds of mine that RJR still owes them money, and have not yet been paid.be careful.They left because of this.

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
There are actually a few tractor-trailer drivers at Landstar Express America.A close personal freind of mine is leased to them, for 3 years now.He bought his own trailer last year, and is doing well.I always loved landstar. They are a fair and honest company.And alot of fun to work for.I have been told by some freinds of mine that RJR still owes them money, and have not yet been paid.be careful.They left because of this.

Do you know any good Canadian or US expedite Company hiring cargo/sprinter these days ? and wondering how much can I make?
Thanks

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
Not too many hiring as things are not really moving at this time. Expected income when things are normal would be between 1000-2000/wk depending on miles. So some weeks over that. Right now with business down some are having trouble making a 1000/wk.
Anywho talk to the various companies and see.
Rob

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
Not too many hiring as things are not really moving at this time. Expected income when things are normal would be between 1000-2000/wk depending on miles. So some weeks over that. Right now with business down some are having trouble making a 1000/wk.
Anyway talk to the various companies and see.
Rob

Hi Rob,

Thanks for the info.
I contacted some of the companies here in Ontario,and 2 in MI, you are right no one hiring right now, but Dynamex told me to call them next month, for now they are looking for straight trucks and tractor.
the figure that you gave is it net or gross? and this is for cargo van not truck correct.
Rob, are you a cargo van driver?
Thanks again

Last edited:

DesertHorse

Seasoned Expediter
Anywho talk to the various companies and see.
Rob

Rob, i want to ask you about the sprinter,I'm shopping for a cargo van, I would like to switch my truck to cargo, there's 2 kind of sprinter, one with 4 wheels on the back , and another with 2, any idea about the net weight that I can carry in it?it seem like the 2 wheeler on the back is 3/4 ton, and if I buy the one with 4 wheels on the back, do I have to stop at the scale?
thank you for your time.
Rey

Bluesgirl

Active Expediter
Most trucking companies in my opinion are the same. Out for themselves. They don't care about their drivers at all in how much their running costs are to what the loads pay.
So far the ones I have gotten on with, they have taken so much money from me, upfront costs. Example: plaster their company name all over my truck while I drive all over North America advertising on behave all the while I paid for that nonsense. Then there were other costs just to operate under their CVOR, but don't care to split the difference. That is why, I think trucking companies hire on Owner Operators so they get ahead and Owner Operators pay through the nose for everything. If we don't drive 7 days a week, there's no money to be made. All the expenses are ours. Yes we have write offs but nothing that gets us ahead. They don't pay drivers what drivers need to earn on the load. Diesel fuel costs are crazy high in most areas. Also when you ask the dispatcher how much the load pays...there is attitude from them. Like you're wrong for even asking.
You know what "broker" really stands for.

I love driving and the thought of driving for a living appealed to me enough to get into this industry. There is something to be said about ignorance, the not knowing. I think it does not matter how much research you do. You can never get to the real deal. No body has the time and other drivers to ask are busy.

When you ask all the questions to understand how they work / operate...you don't get the truth, maybe a version of what they claim. When you try to talk to them why there are no loads...they blame it on the hard economic times or some holiday. I am so disappointed, heart felt disappointed in this industry. There's no honesty. They some how exclude themselves from being accountable. I just finished driving for OTR , who tried to tell me to over load my vehicle. Not once but a few times and when I wouldn't do it his way, that's when he ripped me off financially.
I still love to drive but all I want to do now is sell off my business truck, and maybe see if there is a company out there that wants to hire on a bond-able driver.
I want to wish every body, every driver lots of luck in finding a company that treats you well. If you think you have found that company or even know of a few other good companies through other driver friends...please take the time to share the names of them.
All the best to you good drivers out there. Safe travels

murmac

Active Expediter
Most trucking companies in my opinion are the same. Out for themselves. They don't care about their drivers at all in how much their running costs are to what the loads pay.
So far the ones I have gotten on with, they have taken so much money from me, upfront costs. Example: plaster their company name all over my truck while I drive all over North America advertising on behave all the while I paid for that nonsense. Then there were other costs just to operate under their CVOR, but don't care to split the difference. That is why, I think trucking companies hire on Owner Operators so they get ahead and Owner Operators pay through the nose for everything. If we don't drive 7 days a week, there's no money to be made. All the expenses are ours. Yes we have write offs but nothing that gets us ahead. They don't pay drivers what drivers need to earn on the load. Diesel fuel costs are crazy high in most areas. Also when you ask the dispatcher how much the load pays...there is attitude from them. Like you're wrong for even asking.
You know what "broker" really stands for.

I love driving and the thought of driving for a living appealed to me enough to get into this industry. There is something to be said about ignorance, the not knowing. I think it does not matter how much research you do. You can never get to the real deal. No body has the time and other drivers to ask are busy.

When you ask all the questions to understand how they work / operate...you don't get the truth, maybe a version of what they claim. When you try to talk to them why there are no loads...they blame it on the hard economic times or some holiday. I am so disappointed, heart felt disappointed in this industry. There's no honesty. They some how exclude themselves from being accountable. I just finished driving for OTR , who tried to tell me to over load my vehicle. Not once but a few times and when I wouldn't do it his way, that's when he ripped me off financially.
I still love to drive but all I want to do now is sell off my business truck, and maybe see if there is a company out there that wants to hire on a bond-able driver.
I want to wish every body, every driver lots of luck in finding a company that treats you well. If you think you have found that company or even know of a few other good companies through other driver friends...please take the time to share the names of them.
All the best to you good drivers out there. Safe travels

Is anyone operating out of the east coast of Canada with straight trucks? Are you operating independant or leased to a company? Where do you mainly run to? in Canada or to US? How are loads coming back out of the US? Are there many loads to the East Coast? I am looking to get into the business and would like to know what existing people have to say.

Thanks

Lawrence

Founder
Staff member
Is anyone operating out of the east coast of Canada with straight trucks? Are you operating independant or leased to a company? Where do you mainly run to? in Canada or to US? How are loads coming back out of the US? Are there many loads to the East Coast? I am looking to get into the business and would like to know what existing people have to say.

Thanks

Murmac,

I don't know a single expedite carrier who - Canadian or US based that moves freight in and out on the east coast of Canada on a regular basis. Sorry - wish I had better news.

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
I see that EO has an advertiser called TE Smith, that apparently has an office near Port Huron. I've seen a couple of their trucks in line at the bridge, but have never heard of them in the forum. Does anyone run for them, or have experience with them?

Bluesgirl

Active Expediter
Thanks for all the info everybody.
Great information to pass along.
Now that we're in the year 2013, all most June.
I as a driver of an extended Sprinter cargo van of time sensitive freight delivery
(isn't it all mostly that) :)
am not finding a company that can keep me busy, nor pay nicely for my services.
Wondering if there are drivers out there that can shed some light to busy transport companies
that do hire Sprinter Drivers and actually pay nicely for services performed on time.
I have inquired everywhere, locally here in KW, Cambridge, Guelph, Brantford, and all around T.O.
Please if you know of a company (like yesterday) I need to connect with that business. Or even if you know of a driver, trades person that wants a vehicle to run his business out of the back of this roomy van, which is totally insulated, espar furnace and extra too many to mention.
Please share
I hate my life right now. I need a break~ Bluesgirl