Etrack

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
A 600 pound drum of HAZMAT that could kill you with one whiff or could cause a city-wide hazmat incident wouldn't be allowed on a van in the first place, even if the van has a sealed bulkhead.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
A 600 pound drum of HAZMAT that could kill you with one whiff or could cause a city-wide hazmat incident wouldn't be allowed on a van in the first place, even if the van has a sealed bulkhead.

Ok, I am confused. Explain to me what the difference is between that drum on my truck or a van assuming proper freight securement in both.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Ok, I am confused. Explain to me what the difference is between that drum on my truck or a van assuming proper freight securement in both.

Well, yeah, DOT rules. But mainly, the difference is that for inhilation hazards and a few others, the driver and the freight must be physically separated. You cannot haul that stuff in the cab, and in a van, even one with a bulkhead, the entire van is the cab. Even in a straight truck, the cab/sleeper and the cargo box cannot share a common wall. That way any leaks from inhilation hazards cannot seap through a hole in the box directly into the cab. And it's why a cargo van with a sealed bulkhead can't carry it either.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well, yeah, DOT rules. But mainly, the difference is that for inhilation hazards and a few others, the driver and the freight must be physically separated. You cannot haul that stuff in the cab, and in a van, even one with a bulkhead, the entire van is the cab. Even in a straight truck, the cab/sleeper and the cargo box cannot share a common wall. That way any leaks from inhilation hazards cannot seap through a hole in the box directly into the cab. And it's why a cargo van with a sealed bulkhead can't carry it either.

Thanks, I don't drive a van and I can't say that I had even thought about it.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Van drivers who haul HAZMAT really need to know many of those kinds of little details better than straights and tractors do, because some of them can matter a lot in a van whereas big trucks never even have to consider them.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Van drivers who haul HAZMAT really need to know many of those kinds of little details better than straights and tractors do, because some of them can matter a lot in a van whereas big trucks never even have to consider them.

I would think so. We haul that kind of freight from time to time, but we don't have that issue to deal with. I DO secure it WAY beyond what would be needed by law.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks, I don't drive a van and I can't say that I had even thought about it.

Never even thought about it? Not even in your dreams? I'm sure at some point in your expedite career you awoke in the morning and realized you had a pretty good dream going. At first you thought the dream was about ... Then you realized the dream was really about owning and driving a van. You are in denial, which is probably a good thing. How does your wife feel about vans?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Never even thought about it? Not even in your dreams? I'm sure at some point in your expedite career you awoke in the morning and realized you had a pretty good dream going. At first you thought the dream was about ... Then you realized the dream was really about owning and driving a van. You are in denial, which is probably a good thing. How does your wife feel about vans?

A van would make a good sized sleeper, that is what she thinks.

No interest in driving a van or a sprinter at this time. I would likely get out of the business first.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Back to the subject of E-track; Tech, what make of van do you have? If you have a stock Ford or Chevy get rid of the rubber mat. Floor insulation is a good thing but it also reduces your door height, which is a bad thing! With vans often it comes down to give and take. In the case of a stock Ford or Chevy, door height beats out driver comfort.

jrcase

Seasoned Expediter
Is there a company out there somewhere in TN that can install this? Etrack and plywood?

In Knoxville, go to Knox Trailer Service. They did mine. See picture. The only thing I can not secure is a drum (barrel) safely. You will need side rails for that.

Attachments

• floor.jpg
    floor.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 25

zx6r98

New Recruit
Owner/Operator
I just came in house from fastening down my E TRAC in the van. The carrier I'm going with WANTED on floor and walls . On the wall behind drivers seat , I first mounted a 2 x 6 10 ft. long to the van wall and then wood screwed the etrac to it . On the sliding door side i could squeeze in a 2 x 6 74" long to the wall and then mounted the e trac also
The WALL e trac ARE NOT going anywhere I M O . My floor E trac are fastened to the floor with TEX SCREWS and will be TAC welded tomorrow , I M O there is no way they will move . I spaced them evenly 1 ft. in from the wheel wells straight forword. This took me about 2 1/2 hours only because i researched on THIS SITE for about 6 months . Plywood goes on tomorrow night and then coated 2 to 3 times with the mini wax stuff. RESEARCH for IDEAS on here and then use a game plan . :)
could you share some pics ?