Etrack

Techpartner

Active Expediter
I am buying a cargo van with etrack rails on the side walls. Is that enough? Or do I need to have it installed in the floor also?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I use my floor etrack 100 out of 100 jobs. I use wall etrack maybe 1 out of 100 jobs in addition to the floor etrack. YMMV

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I bought the etrack at northern tools and had a local body shop install it. They used some black adhesive goo that will rip the sheet metal before it releases. My dad and I did the plywood. I have no idea about TN but someone from there may chime in.

Techpartner

Active Expediter
Thank you.

Are the etrack rails mounted between the plywood or on top of it?

Are there any do it yourself tutorials out there anywhere?

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Mine are direct on the metal floor. I used the two foot pieces, two of them crossways just inside the back doors and four each in two down up the center. My plywood is half inch so it's flush across the track. We used the entire sheet of plywood so the wheel wells are notched out. There are a few good threads on van prep and several guys who know far more than I do.

bikerpaul

Expert Expediter
I installed the e-track directly onto the bed of the van, and secured them with self tapping screws, I believe they are 3/16 or 1/4 inch. I put one in every hole, which takes awhile to do, but it appears to be very tight. I them cut the plywood for the spaces between the e-track tracks, and between the wheel wells and the e-track. The wood was also secured with flat head self tapping screws. Don't go crazy with the length of the screws, as you don't want to go into the gas tank, or hit and brake lines. I also used a drill that controls the torgue as the self tapping screws are easy to strip out the sheet metal if you tighten them too much. It took me about 4 hours to do myself, ad I saved a lot of money doing it myself.
As for purchasing the e-track itself, look on eBay, as I saved about $200.00 finding everything I needed there at better prices than using the big named company's. Mine did come from one of the big names, but a a much better price.
I also have them on the sides of the van, but as Leo said, I very seldom use them. I left them there because I know that just after I would take them off, I would really need them, sort of like when you need a gun, you need it VERY bad.

Last edited:

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Many carriers require a row on the walls. Floor is optional with about all of them I believe but it's far more useful.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I'm with Leo, I like and mostly use the E-track mounted on the floor. I also have E-track on the walls I occasionally use for securing drums or top heavy freight. Get 10' sections. It now comes galvanized, in addition to the standard painted product. I'd opt for the galvanized.

My E-track is mounted directly to the floor and sits slightly lower than the top of the plywood. I used stainless steel self tapping screws at the rear because there is a sheet metal pan on the underside (Chevrolet) that prevents access for using bolts. The rest of the run is secured with stainless steel bolts, lock washers and nuts. Note the vertical E-track across the rear for added securing points and to protect the exposed edges of the flooring from being damaged by fork trucks.

van005.jpg

IMG_0318.jpg

ntimevan

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just came in house from fastening down my E TRAC in the van. The carrier I'm going with WANTED on floor and walls . On the wall behind drivers seat , I first mounted a 2 x 6 10 ft. long to the van wall and then wood screwed the etrac to it . On the sliding door side i could squeeze in a 2 x 6 74" long to the wall and then mounted the e trac also
The WALL e trac ARE NOT going anywhere I M O . My floor E trac are fastened to the floor with TEX SCREWS and will be TAC welded tomorrow , I M O there is no way they will move . I spaced them evenly 1 ft. in from the wheel wells straight forword. This took me about 2 1/2 hours only because i researched on THIS SITE for about 6 months . Plywood goes on tomorrow night and then coated 2 to 3 times with the mini wax stuff. RESEARCH for IDEAS on here and then use a game plan . :)

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If you put on the Minwax before mounting the plywood you can do the edges much better than after.

Techpartner

Active Expediter
This may be a dumb question but he goes anyway..... Would it be advisable to use liquid nails to secure the etrack and plywood directly to the rubber floor? This way there would be no holes in the bed of the van and still have that extra insulation.

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
It depends on what you want to accomplish with the E-track and plywood.

If you want the E-track and plywood decking to be a decoration, as glitter glued to a pine cone, then yes, Liquid Nails would be advisable.

If you want the E-track and plywood to remain fixed where you install it and keep freight secure so that it doesn't smack you in the back of the head when you put on the brakes or burst through a side wall when you make a turn, then no, Liquid Nails would not be advisable.

Jefferson3000

Expert Expediter
Most trailer repair shops can sell you a 10' piece as cheap as a 2 ft piece from Northern Tool. They can also do the work for you if you want. Just Google up "Trailer repair" and your city.

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
This may be a dumb question but he goes anyway..... Would it be advisable to use liquid nails to secure the etrack and plywood directly to the rubber floor? This way there would be no holes in the bed of the van and still have that extra insulation.

roflmao x 10 omy mercy

xmudman

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Tech, let's put it this way:

Say you have a 55-gallon drum of some hazardous material on your van. Weighs maybe 600 lbs. It's the kind of stuff that can kill you with just a whiff, and you've got a LOT of whiffs onboard.

OH NOO that dizzy soccer mom just cut you off to turn into a shopping center! She's got her mind on her hair and nails; her 20th high-school reunion is coming up and she wants to look good.

You've got a split second to turn away from that cream-colored crossover, to avoid causing a city-wide hazmat incident and killing yourself in the process.

Is that the time to trust Liquid Nails? :eek: :eek:

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
Tech, let's put it this way:

Say you have a 55-gallon drum of some hazardous material on your van. Weighs maybe 600 lbs. It's the kind of stuff that can kill you with just a whiff, and you've got a LOT of whiffs onboard.

OH NOO that dizzy soccer mom just cut you off to turn into a shopping center! She's got her mind on her hair and nails; her 20th high-school reunion is coming up and she wants to look good.

You've got a split second to turn away from that cream-colored crossover, to avoid causing a city-wide hazmat incident and killing yourself in the process.

Is that the time to trust Liquid Nails? :eek: :eek:
I think the bigger problem with the liquid nails scenario he laid out is that he's proposing applying it to something that's not anchored. If you apply it to the matting, it's just going to pull the matting up with it in a panic stop.