Espar Coolant Heaters

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
Just looking at the espar website and the Hydronic coolant heaters. Just looking, it seems like they might be a good idea, particularly in really cold areas. From the info it sounds like they will heat both cab and engine, blowing warm air into the cab thru the existing heater ducts. Anyone had any experience with them? Are they cost effective?
Thanks

Here's the link to the heater:

Espar - Coolant Heaters

Thanks

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
If you have a "Heater Booster" on your Sprinter, it is an Espar Hydronic unit. It is located, just forward of and below, the starting battery. You can tell if you have one by looking into the left front wheelwell and seeing if you can see a small squarish muffler - that's the Espar's exhaust.

The heater booster is to be activated (in 2006's and earlier, via the left end of the center bar switch, below the A/C switch, in the dial furthest to the right by the passenger seat) in temps less than 40 degrees, in order to keep the engine coolant, in what is a fairly cold-blooded engine, at normal operating temperature (180 degrees I believe)

In city type driving (stop-n-go, stopped and idling) the engine will not produce enough heat in cold ambient temperatures to fully combust the fuel properly and will run "cold" - which is "bad" - because it will contaminate the oil with unburned fuel faster. Running at highway speeds this normally isn't a problem - the engine will stay warmed up.

I suppose it is possible to heat the engine and the cab with a Hydronic - although way it is implemented on 2006 and earlier units, it does not - at least not without the vehicles engine running. Part of the problem with doing this and using the cabin heater blower motor is that it likely would have a fairly high amperage draw.

If you are primarily concerned with cabin heat, you are far better off IMHO just getting an AirTronic - it will probably cost less and likely use way less fuel (particularly if your Sprinter is well insulated) - because it isn't also heating an engine which is exposed to the cold - which will act as a huge coldsink (opposite of heatsink) and therefore require more fuel to operate.

Last edited:

raynchk

Seasoned Expediter
Rlent: you are very likely right on cost of operation, and the airtronic being the better solution. The espar website is a little confusing.

I was just up in Canada and got a price of $2575 (Canadian) to install a Webasto engine and bunk heater. Kind of nice feature is you can have a timer on the engine heater so it has everything warmed up when you come out to start the vehicle. I have an '07 Sprinter and don't have the engine heater, however it does have some sort electric heater to get the defroster and heater putting out warm air a little faster.

Bunk heater is definitely on the agenda. Jury is still out on whether or not I want to install a diesel engine heater.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I'd think for that price I'd look at getting the AirTronic and a remote starter - that way you can start the vehicle from the house without even stepping outside and it will be warm when you get there. You would probably save about $600 at least. I'd call and talk to Ray up at Espar of Michigan and get his take on it.