EO Graduate 2

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
Hello All
The first week has been an eye opener for sure. I was stuck in the what I will refer to as Hells Triangle. From Detroit to Ohio to Toronto to Detroit. This is not good for a team. 300 mile trips with 15 to 20 hour layovers. Finally had to get a little irate but got a load to Tennessee. Hope I can avoid the triangle in the future.
My load delivery was delayed until Monday so got to stop by home for a day. The good part is I am on 7 load boards from my driveway so getting back out while at home should'nt be too bad. All in all though a not so profitable week. Hope it picks up. Have any of you teams had this problem in Detroit? If so what is your recommendation.
Stay Safe and thanks again for all of your help.
Robsdad

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
Well watd'ja do there Robsdad, get outa the pan into the fire? Graduate? Don't think so. Not anywhere near a grad-e-ate yet. Not being a smart arse here, but, i'm still working my degree in this business after a bit of windshield time. The triangle as you call it, is good for single drivers, and can be for teams if'n your number comes up. That's the part of what you read about accepting loads. It'll come. Patients is a virtue in this business. Just remember tho, you can't hit a homerun each time at bat. I've never seen it happen, but, i'd imagine there is a story someone wants to tell us about how to do it.

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
Not looking for a homerun daily Col. But a team running 300 daily for 7 days is a recipe for failure. I don't have to be a graduate to create the debit and credit column. But anyway a lesson learned. The first week was an adventure and I am sure the next few months will be as well. I am in for the long haul and will graduate in time. I have yet to profess that I am anywhere close to that status yet. But learn'n. Have a great day.

x06col

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Retired Expediter
US Army
2100 miles last week is probably better than a lot of em run. Maybe some will type of their horror stories and low miles.

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
No they offered me a load to Detroit and I took it to get out. I am just glad to be in Alabama today. Hope to stay in the middle of the country for a while. We will see loading for N.Carolina this evening. I think Canada is a beautiful country. Just don't want to go there for a while. The triangle is for singles I think the col hit it on the head.
Have a safe day
robsdad

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
Blacksburg, SC; Rock Hill, SC; Gaffney, SC; and anywhere you can find a place between Charlotte and Winston-Salem or Charlotte and Raleigh. Grab yourself a truckstop guide, if you don't have one. In time, you'll find double secret probation places that aren't in the book, if you like solitude. I know of one place in a vacant Hardee's parking lot next to one of the best Waffle Houses. Everything you need is in the area with a Wally World a couple exits down. Places like that help you beat the "Nowhere to park at 3 am" situations. I suggest you scope out a couple around Charlotte.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
D Ol Prof
running team. Don't think dispatch knows it yet. But maybe they will catch on. Sitting in Buffalo, N.Y. today after an overnighter out of Fayettsville, N.C.. Nothing as of 1300 planning a move later if nothing comes up.

hondaking38

Veteran Expediter
i havent had a 2100 mile week since last october, i am not a team though...as far as grand rapids, thats the board i am on at home.. last 3 loads were to detroit, since i am sure not staying there being 50th out i dh home... 150 miles one way equals 750 miles a week..once i get out of michigan my loads are longer, it seems 300-500 miles in lenghth, give me the east coast anytime..

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Robsdad: the single most informative 'truckstop guide' I've found is The Next Exit, available at the Flying Hook for $15.
I'd heard it mentioned, but never knew how useful it is, till I ran into Frieghtshaker at a fuel stop in Fla, and he showed me his. (Ok, that didn't quite come out like I meant it, lol, and Jerry: if I see you on the road again, I owe you a cup of coffee, no matter how much of a hurry I'm in)
It has every interstate in the US, and everything at every exit, with the truck friendly places in red print - makes it a breeze to find the closest one to where you are. You just hafta know where you are, milemarkerwise, is all...:+ It also helps when logging, as the nearby cities are listed vertically alongside the exit numbers. Never again will you have to check the map, to see if the place on the exit sign is right there, or 30 miles away...Or drive a lot further than you expected, looking for a Pizza Hut...:+

ATeam

Retired Expediter
RobsDad,

What are your expectations regarding money and miles? How did you come to form them?

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
My expectations are my own.
How I derived them were through my business plan.
My mistake was remaining in orientation the second and third day when I new after the first that Panther was selling snake oil.
If you are a multiple truck owner you will do fine.
If you own one truck. You will run junk to make them a profit while you struggle.
Example: 2 weeks (actually 19 days) available 100%
Loaded miles: 3461
Deadhead miles: 1243(paid $100)
The best example. Deadhead 60 miles to shipper 61 miles to consignee for $100. Welcome to Walmart. If you will do this for us I will give you a good run. REALLY. I did and they did. But only one. Back to the same ol sh-t.
After team driver wages, fuel, etc. Embarassing
I see a company that has grown to the point that the left has no idea of what the right is doing. No concept of team dispatch.
When in orientation there were 25 new dispatchers. Some turn over I suspect. Well you and all others can start bashing me now as I am sure you all have the answers to all my problems. But I believe if you expect to make a living as a one truck team owner-operator at PII you are fooling yourself. I feel pretty good. I have been gone for 5 days and this is the first negative thing I have written about PII. And it will be my last. I have moved on and they will profit off the backs of others.
Stay safe!
robsdad

Dunbar87

Seasoned Expediter
I have moved on and they will
>profit off the backs of others.
>Stay safe!
>robsdad

I really do feel for you sir. I've been reading your post since you began. I did have my fingers crossed for both you. I feel you had your head screwed on right and knew what you were getting into.

I tend to agree to virtually every aspect of your final anaylis of what the kitties all about. I spoke with many many drivers of the top tier carriers and personally found the general opinion of kittie drivers to echo the kind of ending you encountered.

Maybe its bad times and all but the credibility of the kittie carrier is deffinatly questionable in regards to single o/o-s. Make no doubt that your findings were and always have been a sore subject among the ranks of the single o/o.

Hopefully you've moved on to a more professional operation. Dont totally give up on the idea of making money as a single vehicle owner. It can work for you as i sense youre determination will lead you the proper carrier to sign on with. BTW - the 3 days in GREEN Ohio will yield you the GREEN

Robsdad

Seasoned Expediter
Thanks Dunbar:
I appreciate your kind words. Not what I expected. I figured a bashing and it may still come. But I tried really hard to cover all thier loads believing that 100% would prove that I would make them a good hand. But it never got better. I suppose I could have given them another couple of weeks but I felt after talking to my team leader that what I was getting would more than likely remain the same. I am moving on to another carrier. Single driver this time however as my son has taken a factory job and wants nothing more to do with trucking. I told him it would get better but I will have to see if it does or not. I am a former flat bed owner operator so this is kind of different for me. When I was flat bedden when you were first on the board you had your choice of the loads. At PII if you were first only meant you could take what they offered no choice. Maybe its this way all over now if so I can see it being difficult for anyone who does not own multiple units. Well anyway I will send you a PM telling you were I am going. Hope it is a good choice I like what I have heard so far.
Stay safe!
robsdad

Tennesseahawk

Veteran Expediter
You're right. There is no pick of the litter in expediting. First on the board usually means first load available gets offered to you, whether it's a 30 mi run or an 800 (unless you're solo). Like I said in another thread, every company has their glitches. All depends on which ones you can tolerate. But the main thing is doing your best to find out those glitches BEFORE you jump ship and sign on. You can't blame a company for something that's well known. You can only blame yourself for not knowing it beforehand. I'm curious as to which company you chose to go with now, because a lot of companies are similar to Panther in what you're displeased with.

-Vampire Super Slooth Trucker!!!

simplman

Seasoned Expediter
I too have been following RobsDad adventures,as I to am new to this game.I did the three in Green and and am in the same situation as RobsDad.Everyone says the same thing ,give it time,sit tight,we"ll get right back to you.No one ever told me that an average D-load paid $1.07 per mile,actually at orientation we were told that the average was over $2.00 per mile. I learned very quickly that this is not the case.I have stayed in touch with some of my fellow driver recruites,some long gone,some in the same boat as myself,but no one happy.I realize that this is a tough business, and knew it was not going to be easy,but $1.06 a mile? I had nothing to start with except my pride and a dream,which is rapidly turning into a nightmare.Good luck RobsDad!:) :)

FAMILYEXPDT

Seasoned Expediter
I love buying trucks from people that go to Green......and cannot get the green Dunbar. Panther is not the problem....the fit may not have been for you but I have been a single truck oo with Pantehr and grossed over 270,000 in 8 months. Being a single truck oo enabled us to become fleet owners.....thru Panther. You have to figure out how to make it work FOR you...or as you did go elsewhere. When you are done hopping, you will still be holding the company accountable instead of figuring out how to make it work for you.

-Charlotte