entertainment at the consignee

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Last night I took 2 racks of stamped panels and 2 tubs of stamped brackets to a company to make oven doors with. I went around to the docks the guard told me to go to. When I got there I was told it would be a few minutes till they could unload me, even though it was hot freight and I was an hour late after a 2.25 hour detention at the shipper. They were picking stuff up. Someone had put about a 44x44 tub on a stack of 48x48 tubs and others had put more 48x48 on top of that. When gravity finally won the several tubs crashing down took down a few more tubs as well as several of the racks of large sheets. They had a lot already picked up when I got there judging from the empties pushed off randomly to the side. They still had a lot left to pick up after I was unloaded and leaving.

Leo Bricker, 73's K5LDB
OOIDA Life Member 677319, JOIN NOW
Owner, Panther trucks 5508, 5509, 5641
EO Forum Moderator
----------
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
This sounds as bad as the runaway forklift at a plastics factory. By the time someone was smart enough to get on the thing and stop it, it destroyed a days worth of work.

zman3k

Seasoned Expediter
My entertainment wasn't at the consignee as much as it was at the shipper. We rolled up to the shipper and the first snafu was that they wanted to put 10 skids on our truck, but b/c of the pallet jack and dolly, and other handling/securement equipment they weren't able to do that. So while we were on the phone with dispatch and dispatch was on the phone with the customer they realized they could rebuild the pallets, make them a little taller, and cut the number to 8.

Well, the fork lift driver there had already displayed some rather uncouth forklift skills and wouldn't you know it when he was taking one of the pallets to the shrink wrapping spinner machine thing he whipped the fork lift around a turn and the contents of the unsecured pallet went flying about everywhere and due to quality control, which said they'd reject any imperfect item, they had to inspect every one of those items by hand to make sure that they were indeed perfect before they were put on our truck.

Another snafu on that trip was that it was my co-driver's first time to roll on the Tri-State Tollway to the Indiana Tollway and she missed the interchange for the Indiana Tollway and we wound up going up I-94 into Michigan. I was sleeping all the time and I wake up to some super rough roads, she had gotten off the freeway and was following the GPS reroutes finally got to US-12 to US-31 and then to the IN Tollway, and then on to the consignee.

It was an interesting trip all around.