Enlightment?

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I am in the process of rekindling my love affair with Fedex CC as a outside carrier. They require some insurance that most don't and this one kind of threw me. Here is an excerpt from a e-mail they sent me.

"*Since you have scheduled auto we will need you to also have non-owned coverage as well. (we have had a

major issue with carriers renting trucks to cover our loads, and even though you may not do that - we still

are requiring that coverage just in case."

Can a out side carrier with one truck and no employees really turn a acceptable profit in a rented (not leased) truck?

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I have my auto liability with Progressive and my agent tells me that Progressive, generally does not sell this type of insurance. Does anyone have this any-auto non-owners insurance? Who sells it and how much does it cost? Also, I believe those grandfathered into the system are not required to have it so I am at a bidding disadvantage from the get go.

CharlesD

Expert Expediter
I don't have that coverage and we haul plenty of their loads. Then again, when we signed their agreement they didn't require that and we're probably grandfathered in.

Deville

Not a Member
I have run into several outside carriers doing work for FDCC. They claim that they are cleaning up. I wonder if it's true.

kwexpress

Veteran Expediter
I had it when I was running tractors/trailers mostly so I could pull non-owned trailers.it all depends I made alot of extra revenue by picking up new trailers right from the wabash plant and heck I got to use them to load my freight so I got paid to deliver the trailer and several loads of expedite between.
didnt ever have any trailer maintance nor did i ever have to buy rubber or plates for it.then after delivery I would hook up with a power only from landstar,schneider and a whole boat load of options.

I have been out for a couple years but at that time it only raised my premium 200 bucks or so a month.I have been thinking of going this route for all my equipment needs except for one cargo van I figure I can tag team the van with a friend that also has a class a cdl and just keep a watch out along route we are traveling for the expedites that will pay enough to justify the cost.plus if your recruiting for yourself its easy to find that frustrated driver who cant get a load cause his carrier has 10 trucks in the area before him and you can get the same load for him his current carrier would have never offered him cause the other 9 would get the offer first.
a million and one ways to make money you just have to not let little things like a couple hundered bucks in extra insurance stop you.heck you can rent d-units with a debit card and if they brake down they will fix or replace.I am just saying you get what you pay for if you know how to use what you got.just think of it as a tax write off amd never have to qualify for a bank loan that will tie you down for 5 years when you can truck by the week or month add delete trucks as needed and after you burn yourself out and want to take a year off your not haven to work for someone else to pay truck payments on a truck you cant sell cause its to old and no expediter will sign it on.Dont be afraid run with the big dogs or stay on the porch.

jimlookup

Seasoned Expediter
I have run into several outside carriers doing work for FDCC. They claim that they are cleaning up. I wonder if it's true.

Yes, us outside carriers are cleaning up. I've been dusting off my truck (really gets dusty when it just sits) and tommorom I'm going to start spit shinning my cat 3126.