engine performance

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
I have lost my power for some reason, it still cruises at 65mph just fine but little to no response when you try to accelarate off a ramp or pass. I just put anti-gell in last week and seems to have done something??? maybe?? what else could it be. Have fl-112 with MBE 4000-435hp 10 speed auto.

guido4475

Not a Member
I have lost my power for some reason, it still cruises at 65mph just fine but little to no response when you try to accelarate off a ramp or pass. I just put anti-gell in last week and seems to have done something??? maybe?? what else could it be. Have fl-112 with MBE 4000-435hp 10 speed auto.

My first guess would be the fuel filter.The anti-gel may have loosened up some stuff if you didn't use it on a regular basis.

My second guess may be a long shot, but happened to me last week in Chicago, even though I have a van.My gas pedal would go dead.As if nothing would happen when pressing down on it.But not all the time, but it was becoming more common.And especially while acelerating it would get bad.Called my Ford mechanic freind and not even halfway through what I was telling him he tells me to order a gas pedal assembly, which have sensors in them, that are not getting or making the right amount of resistance, so it goes dead.Now it is like a total different vehicle, I mean, this thing moves!So maybe that could be a problem? Just sayin'

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
That is where I would start. Pull and change the fuel filters. If the problem is still there, on that engine I would check the air charger for leaks or cracks. After that it would have to go to a lap top to see what the engine is doing. If that checks out then you are down to testing the turbo and EGR if it has one.

FJK1954

Expert Expediter
Thanks all - replaced the fuel filter already, but did it again today just in case it was clogged with goop....not the problem....it will run at about 60...but no faster or slower without bucking and almost dies when it downshifts.....im at frlr. now because im on a load and need it checked asap. thanks everyone....frank

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I discovered something on my cat c9 recently. My drain on the fuel/water sep gave way after the tech over tightened it popping the o-ring off leading to no fuel supply to the mtr. I carry a filter wrench and syphon hose so it was an easy fix. Filled the filter up , screwed it back on and fired it up without priming. after 500 mi.s or so, i noticed a slight miss at steady cruise and poor mileage. I popped the hood and pumped on the primer several times and walla, runs smooth again and milage back up. I don't know about the MB mtr, but might be worth a try. I plan on doing this after each fuel filter change going forward.

Andrew0580

Seasoned Expediter
I have two friends that have theses same motors and they had the same issue. They both changed filters and paid freightliner alot of money to search and search for this issue, and on both trucks it was the "Boost sensor" on the turbo.