Embracee The Stupidity

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
"Embrace the stupidity" a line coined by Turtle in this thread: http://www.expeditersonline.com/for...they-left-out-panther-manual-orientation.html. Embrace the stupidity describes standard operating procedure at Panther.

Thursday I accepted a load that had 115 DH and 709 loaded. I had some reservations about accepting this load. There was a good chance it would swap, especially if there was a delay. I'm alright with swaps, but one never knows where the swap will occur. The shipper was out in the sticks so it would be another 90 miles to get back to civilization in case of a dry run. So I gambled and accepted the load.

It took me 2½ hours to get to the shipper. Traffic, a detour and mostly 2 lane highway slowed me down. I still made it 40 minutes early, but missed the freight by 90 minutes. The shipper loaded it on an LTL carrier that had originally been arranged by the consignee. The consignee had decided they needed the freight asap and called Panther, but failed to communicate this with the shipper or the LTL carrier.

The shipper called the LTL carrier and explained the situation. The LTL carrier's terminal was 117 miles away and they said they couldn't turn their driver around but a faxed release statement from the shipper would allow the LTL carrier to release the freight to me at their terminal.

Now for sure this load would swap because the LTL carrier's terminal was 117 miles in the opposite direction from the consignee. The shipper agreed to fax the release as soon as I got the OK from Panther.

I called Panther and after several minutes listening to crappy music in the queue, a guy answered. I started to explain that the freight got loaded on another truck when he asked me to hold. He must of accidentally hit the wrong button because he hung up on me.

I called back and was on hold for 5 minutes before hanging up. I tried the other number for use while under load, waited another 5 minutes and hung up. I sent a QC message requesting a phone call and within a few minutes I got the call. I explained the situation and emphasized the need for speed before this shipment got loaded on an outbound linehaul. I suggested that I should head for the LTL terminal, but was given the standard line: "We have to contact the customer first. STAY PUT!"

2 hours and 20 minutes later I was told that they were still unable to contact the customer and that I should go to the LTL terminal to get the freight and that would get me extra stop pay and 117 miles full load pay. I headed out and about 10 minutes later I got a receipt over the QC for the load. It showed my original DH pay, $25 extra stop pay and 945 miles loaded pay.

About 10 minutes after receiving that message I had yet to receive the full info about the extra stop. The shipper had given me the address of the LTL carrier, but I wanted the official extra stop info on the QC. I sent a message requesting that and received 2 new receipts, both with different mileages. Then I got the address for the LTL carrier's terminal, only problem was it wasn't the terminal I was heading for.

I was now 71 miles from the original shipper and 466 miles from the LTL terminal. I stopped and called Panther. The guy I talked to was clueless. The 3 people I had been dealing previous on this load went home, the old pass the buck. I asked to talk with the supervisor and got the standard: "He's on the phone and will call you back. 15 minutes later no call so I call them. Now I get to deal with another person who shift just started.

What had happened while Panther dinked around was that my freight got loaded on an outbound for Chicago. Panther wanted me to drive 466 miles empty to Chicago. The pick up time was set for 08:30, the same time my 16 hours were up forcing me to take a 5 hour break. I asked the nice Panther lady if this made sense. Surly there was a van in Chicago that could pick this up in the morning. She agreed and I got a dry run.

My question to all you out there in E.O. Land is this; should I have totally embraced the stupidity, gone to Chicago empty and collected the 466 miles at full load pay and fsc only to load and shut down for 5 hours? Or did I do right by the customer telling these wet brains how to run an expediting company and promoting customer service?

In the morning I will try to make a case with Driver Relations for getting paid the 71 miles I ran empty in addition to the whopping $50 dry run pay. Good night!

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
Personally, I would have gone to Chicago. I've done we'll there. You can't fix stupid. And the miles were really good. FAR better than the $50 dry run.
Plus, you could go down to Miller's Pub and get some Hash & Eggs!!!

sthfl2000

Active Expediter
Moot...you did the right thing. These dispatchers are clueless for one and i do not believe they have any supervision let alone an actual supervisor on duty. I had similar situations to yours and i had to fight them hard for correct pay due to their lack of taking notes for one another. For such a large operation, you would think their systems would be better...especially logging call and directions given to drivers information. Coodos to you for doing their job for them...seems like the norm for a driver nowadays.

Murraycroexp

Veteran Expediter
It just gets soooooo old. I recall a few "disagreements" over the years with dispatchers.

1. "No you don't have 52" between your wheel wells in your van."
2. "No you can't average 72 mph running from MI to Laredo. It's impossible."
3. "You're a solo, you can't run 1600 miles straight."
4. "You have a cargo van. You can't fit 3 skids.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It just gets soooooo old. I recall a few "disagreements" over the years with dispatchers.

2. "No you can't average 72 mph running from MI to Laredo. It's impossible."
3. "You're a solo, you can't run 1600 miles straight."

False, true, true, false (possibly).

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Moot, I would have done the same thing the first few times, and did. After 3 plus years on the driver council repeatedly beating that exact dead horse I'd have gone to Chicago for the guaranteed (as far as anything with them ever is) good pay and let them figure it out afterward. They've had numerous valuable inputs on things just like this. They ignore them because it doesn't make them any more visible money, just more efficient and professional. They don't care about the latter, only the former.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
2. "No you can't legally average 72 mph running from MI to Laredo. It's legally impossible."
3. "You're a solo, you can't sensibly and safely run 1600 miles straight."

OK
False, true, true, false (possibly).

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Moot, I would have done the same thing the first few times, and did.
I hear ya Leo! I have done it also. I have no qualms about sticking it to Panther(my partner). As jaded as I am, and I've been kicking freight most of my adult life, I couldn't bring myself to also screwing over the customer. I still believe in customer service, real customer service; not the customer service slogans carriers use in their ads, websites, motivational posters and restrooms walls. I enjoy hearing: "Wow, we didn't expect this so soon." or "You're early, we really needed this." To me, this is what expedite is all about and makes up for some of the crap I put up with from my carrier of choice.

After 3 plus years on the driver council repeatedly beating that exact dead horse I'd have gone to Chicago for the guaranteed (as far as anything with them ever is) good pay and let them figure it out afterward.
I was tempted to do just that, very tempted. I need to get over this customer service hangup I have. Again, I'll stick it to Panther anytime I can. Hey, it's a partnership and a reciprocal type relationship. Had I gone to Chicago empty at full pay and then shut down for a 5 hour break, Panther probably would try to get by with only paying me the DH rate.

They've had numerous valuable inputs on things just like this. They ignore them because it doesn't make them any more visible money, just more efficient and professional. They don't care about the latter, only the former.

Attachments

• D Like Button.jpg
    D Like Button.jpg
    10.3 KB · Views: 38

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Are you embracing the stupidity or enabling it?

Either way, when a load goes badly wrong and multiple parties are simultaneously involved in trying to develop a fix, that is a signal to disengage from the stupidity. You did not create these problems. Your ability to solve them is limited.

Cut your losses. Reduce your risks. Disengage.

Doing so creates new opportunities for you and leaves the stupidity with its rightful owners.

There might be times when you can put yourself on the line and help save the load, but do not try to do so unless you know in advance that you will be fairly treated and properly paid.

Last edited:

roadeyes

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Your are to be commended for your dedication to customer service, however as Ateam mentioned, there is a time to disengage and cut your losses. IMO that would have been when you were given a different terminal address than where you originally thought you were going. You had made your original decision to chase the freight based on that original terminal location and it just kept going from bad to worse from then on. I know it's easy for someone to give advice after the fact when they are not caught up in the situation of trying to provide good customer service but that's what I would have done. Thanks for sharing/venting though, as its a good lesson for all. It has been my experience that there is more potential for scenarios like this to happen when the consignee makes the transportation arrangements instead of the shipper.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Are you embracing the stupidity or enabling it?
Both, of course! As far as enabling, I'm leased to them. Every time I accept a load offer I am opening the door wide for an assortment of stupid stuff. Most times I embrace the stupidity. It is the only way to survive, get a hearty laugh and keep from being devoured by the two-headed cat. Sometimes though, the stupidity goes way beyond laughable and I feel compelled to point that out to them. Even if the stupidity would have lined my pockets as was the case with the load this thread is about.

Either way, when a load goes badly wrong and multiple parties are simultaneously involved in trying to develop a fix, that is a signal to disengage from the stupidity.
For me that is a signal to intervene by offering a practical solution to what is usually a simple problem made complex by people who are clueless about the industry that employs them or just plain lazy.

You did not create these problems. Your ability to solve them is limited.
No, I certainly did not create this problem and yes, my ability to solve it was limited. But that didn't prevent me from trying and eventually I was successful in convincing someone how ridiculous their course of action was. I saved the customer some transit time, Panther a whole bunch of money, reaffirmed my reputation with dispatch as a painintheass, got something to post about on E.O. and feel good about myself despite leaving about $600 on the table.

Cut your losses. Reduce your risks. Disengage. Doing so creates new opportunities for you and leaves the stupidity with its rightful owners.
You lost me with this one.

There might be times when you can put yourself on the line and help save the load, but do not try to do so unless you know in advance that you will be fairly treated and properly paid.
When I put myself on the line for Panther I know exactly the opposite will happen. I will not be treated or compensated properly. I won't even get a thank you, but sometimes doing the right thing is the right thing to do.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You had made your original decision to chase the freight based on that original terminal location and it just kept going from bad to worse from then on.
I didn't make the decision to chase the freight, Panther did.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
This load was originally scheduled to deliver by 13:00 Friday. I tracked the load and it delivered at 18:38. Had I driven the 466 miles to Chicago to meet the freight, it would have pushed the delivery time out by at least 3 hours, probably more.