Eleven Million $

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I can see where it would be useful in a large truck. We solve it by team work. I believe that we would still back up in many areas with a spotter, even with a camera.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a back up beeper on mine....it came with it...BUT it doesn't replace my responsibility to make sure the rear is clear and no one is approaching from either side...it is just another tool....

next thing they'll be mandating is braking devices for when one is tailgating...where does it stop?

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have a back up beeper on mine....it came with it...BUT it doesn't replace my responsibility to make sure the rear is clear and no one is approaching from either side...it is just another tool....

next thing they'll be mandating is braking devices for when one is tailgating...where does it stop?

It do does not stop. Government is just like "The Blob" or kudzu.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Some technology can be useful....But not all things should be mandated....

having a brain and ability.....would be a novel mandate....

ConfusedMuse

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
anything mechanical will at some point have a glitch, or fail to operate... that all being said, spotters, beepers, flashing lights anything extra to assist someone in backing up wherever they are doing it, will only slow down and make the responsible people take note, the people who are aware of their surroundings, all the rest including sadly our loved ones who are in a hurry, or not paying attention will be stricken. The world has gotten by without all the geegaws that society seeks we pepper our lives with... has it truly made it safer?

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I would guess yes those things have improved safety.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have a back-up beeper on my van. It's quite loud, there's no mistaking it. I have ample evidence that people pay no attention whatsoever to it, and more than once I've had to hit the brakes as someone walked right behind my moving, beeping van.

Oh, man--- people pay no attention to a TRAIN that's right in front of them and they hit the idjit thing--- what chance has my beeper got? I swear, zombies exist and they're walking and driving cars amongst us.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Oh, man--- people pay no attention to a TRAIN that's right in front of them and they hit the idjit thing--- what chance has my beeper got? I swear, zombies exist and they're walking and driving cars amongst us and voting for democrats.

Fixed it for you.

Deville

Not a Member
It doesn't matter to me if I have a camera or not, However after driving cars & trucks with cameras I think they are worth the extra money. When I have had them I feel they are an invaulable tool. With a camera installed you can squeeze every onch out any available sapce behind you. Yes, the safety factor is also a consideration.

BigCat

Expert Expediter
We had one in our prostar straight truck when I drove local. It was very nice for backing in to tight allies in downtown Memphis. Depth perception was a little decieving but you should always get out and look first any way.

The cameras are really only good to watch after the backing has started just to insure someone hasn't walked or driven in to your path.