electric landing gear

reddog43

Expert Expediter
information on electric landing gear. i don't want to hand crank no more. companies and ideas needed.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
do a Google search for powerleg 20k. That should get you to site showing Hollands powerleg electric landing gear. I don't know if anyone makes an air assist landing gear. That could be another option if such a thing exists.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have an electric/hydraulic system on my truck. It was put on by Action Fleet in Houston. Their number is 281-442-8400. The truck isn't here with me now so I can't tell you the brand. It seems to be a good system. I believe it is a 30k or maybe 35k system. It will easily lift the truck off the ground unloaded and I think it would even do so loaded but have no reason to test it that hard. The owner of Action is Eddie Boyde and he's a good guy to work with.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.

RichM

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I know a O/O out of the Cleveland area that has air operated landing gear. I believe his truck came from Hans Freightliner up there so if you gave them a call they might be able to assist you.
I prefer hand cranking for the exercise it gives you but when it's real cold or raining,nuff said.

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Air-powered landing gear is available from ON-Lift. http://onlift.com

Roll-Rite makes an electric motor that drives truck landing gear. Roll-Rite web site says, "...For Expediter Trucks: Our 10130 Electric Gear Motor couples to shifting shaft. Perfect for 2-speed landing gear." See the "Conversion Power Kits" section of their web site.

http://www.rollrite.com/index.php

reddog43

Expert Expediter
rain in summer,
snow in winter,
change my mind about hand cranking.
very good suggestions.

thanks friends

dieseldoctor1

Expert Expediter
Has anybody thought of taking the handle off and making an adapter that would fit the shaft and a cordless drill. Since you are just running it up and down and not lifting the truck a 18 volt drill in low gear should do it. Adapter shouldn't be hard to make. Take the bolt out and remove handle. Find a deep socket that will fit up over shaft. Drill hole through side of socket in line with hole in shaft. use a clip pin like on a three point hitch to secure socket and that way you can quickly switch back to handle if needed. If you have to go to a 1/2 inch drive socket to find one big enough to fit over shaft you can buy a 3/8 inch extention and saw the female end off and chuck that in the drill. Then use a 3/8 to 1/2 adapter. That's what I would try before I spent a bunch of money on new landing gear.

Dieseldoctor

ATeam

Retired Expediter
If you want to save money, why not just use the crank? Drills cost money too.

davekc

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Fleet Owner
You can also follow DD's advise and run a airline close by. Plug in a air drill and same result. Drills can be purchased cheap at a pawnshop if you are on a budget.

Davekc
owner
21 years
PantherII
EO moderator

G

I was next to a guy one night at a dock who had electric landing gear that had malfunctioned and he was fiddling with a bunch of wires to try to get it to come down and go back up. He looked at me hand cranking like it was the best thing since sliced bread.

I like the cordless drill idea, with a hand crank available if the drill malfunctions.