Egypt's Mubarak to step down

chefdennis

Veteran Expediter
Now they are saying it is a Military coup and that the Vice President that Mubarak put in place will have no power and the military will run the show and the Constitution is now cancelled...was he forced out by the military or did he finally figure he was done and handed the power to the military that the people trust....we probably ever know for sure how it played out, but we will now need to watch and see how it all plays out...

Mubarak resigns, hands power to military - Yahoo! News

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Speculation!!

As I said in the other thread, no one knows what's going on, including the Egyptians who are there.

There are conflicting news reports and no one central figure has emerged as of yet to answer to the world let alone to the people of Egypt.

What won't happen is the take over by extremist at this point.

aristotle

Veteran Expediter
We can imagine other Middle East dictators and autocrats are watching the revolution in Egypt with trepidation. No one can know what happens next. Will other dynasties begin to fall? Saudi Arabia? Or Jordan? Let's hope things turn for the betterment of the people. Not every clash or conflict needs to be resolved through war.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I think it will stop with Egypt. Many who have watched this and predicted a bloodless change has said that Jordan will be the other spot to watch and if they stop it, then it will stop with Egypt. Jordan had signs of a "revolution" but they seem to have taken steps to quell it while SA has a tight grip on things.

You got to ask this in relation of Egypt, will the people be better off with a new government or will they be placed in a worst position that ever before?

raceman

Veteran Expediter
Well I sure hope they get what is really needed not only for the people but for the area and the world. That area of the world, oh man oh man in the wrong hands it could really be trouble for all.

I find it interesting for them yet as I look at my Country I see we just keep on voting our freedom away. They want it and yet we seem to want to give it up. Political in fighting, political correctness, each group of us thinking it should be our way so we just keep voting away our freedoms. Sad. If you are 40 or older just look back at what freedom was when you were growing up and look at where it is now. Now days if the choice of others does not meet our own it seems we just create a law and ban it. More laws and bans in the works. Soon we may use Twitter and Facebook to ask for our own freedom.

Well I wish those folks well and I hope they get what we used to have.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
We don't hear too much about the "bias" and "fear mongering" put out by NBC, CBS and ABC from the media bash bunch in here.
Hmmmm .... you must not have been paying attention when I commented recently on Rachel Maddow - a show host on MSNBC ... :confused:

Funny how they tend to only pick on one entertainment channel.
As to NBC, CBS and ABC ..... I've commented on things I've personally observed on one or more specific channels - since I don't spend alot of time watching those channels (here at the house we have satellite TV and a non-digital TV - and no digital converter box - so we don't get the local NBC, CBS and ABC affiliates) .... it's unlikely that you will see much commentary about them from me.

I have in the past observed them though .... and one instance of bias and fear-mongering that I can recall was in regard to the lead up to the Iraq war ... all of them were in the bag for the administration and pretty much carried the administration's line in regards to that event. Very little critical questioning, and independent investigative journalism - mostly just regurgitation.

You, yourself have repeatedly commented on your own beliefs as to the bias and accuracy (lack of) of the media generally :D ...... so I guess that qualifies you as part of the "media bash bunch" ?

Personally, I have a hard time commenting specifically about things I have no personal awareness of ... but as a general matter, I have little doubt that NBC, CBS and ABC do indeed have bias and use fear mongering as a tactic. Nature of the beast.

But, having said the above, there are several shows and hosts on Fox (primarily Hannity and Beck), which seem to practice: "All the fear, all the time ....."

Last edited:

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Hannity and Beck provide good information. I don't see anything wrong with that. Curious as to why others do have a problem with a news organization providing news. It's what they do.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
Hannity and Beck provide good information.
So did Joseph Goebbels .... according to some .....

small_goebbels2.jpg

I don't see anything wrong with that.
Well ... there ya go ..... :rolleyes:

Curious as to why others do have a problem with a news organization providing news. It's what they do.
Learn the difference between propaganda and news (it's considerable) that you might understand.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Crap Rlent, I agree with you "So did Joseph Goebbels .... according to some ....."

AND especially "Learn the difference between propaganda and news (it's considerable) that you might understand."

Those two, especially Beck seem to not have one real cause that they speak about or seem to be passionate about but then they are entertainers, nothing more.

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
G,

I have little doubt that there would be a great many things on which would we agree, given the opportunity for discussion at length ... ;)

And perhaps much that we wouldn't agree on as well .... :D

Those two, especially Beck seem to not have one real cause that they speak about or seem to be passionate about but then they are entertainers, nothing more.
Indeed.

Like many things in this world, what these two actually do, is a perverted travesty of what they purport to be ...

Watching Hannity here and there over the last month or so, has been entirely amusing .... he is so busy pushing his own political/ideological agenda, and fixed ideas, that he often doesn't even hear what the guests he has on are trying to say, the points they are trying to make .... he's really very heavily invested .....

This is particularly true with those that are clearly ideologically opposed, but it's even true for those who aren't .... if they don't see it his way, he just kinda tunes them out, doesn't address whatever thing they have raised .... and drones on to the next talking point.

Similar occurred with Beck when he was recently on O'Reilly ...

And of course they aren't the only ones doing it .... Chris Matthews is another good example .... he's often too busy thinking about the next thing he's going to say to actually hear what his guest is saying .... it's actually very easy to observe.

When a conversation devolves to the point that people are just talking past one another one has to ask: what is the purpose ?

And this actually passes for entertainment .....

.... or, for some apparently, "news" .... :rolleyes:

To some extent, it's an indication (and an indictment) of our culture (ie the level that it has sunk to) ..... watching such crap (and I include other similar shows with left-leaning hosts in that definition of crap) as a steady diet (and actually believing what you see and hear) is bound to warp ones mind ....

Such shows have shown repeatedly that they cannot be trusted to deliver the 5 W's - which constitute the actual reporting of news .... they trivialize matters of the day which are of import to the citizen, treating them in what could only be described as a frivolous manner ....

They (and TV itself) also promote spectatorism on the part of viewers - rather than fostering the ability to think (which can occasionally be painful, and does actually require some effort) in a deliberate, critical manner to a specific end and then themselves engage in discussion and debate, instead allowing to people choose to sit in front of the one-eyed monster, be emotionally manipulated (using various tried and true buttons: patriotism, nationalism, and religion being some of the more effective ones) ....... and be told what to think ....

One couldn't ask for a worse national disaster.

Last edited:

Falligator

Expert Expediter
I'm glad I listen to CNN as I wouldnt go near FOX news with a 10 ft pole! I wouldnt be suprised at all if 6 months from now the military was still in control. Theyre saying that the supreme military council leader is just another one of Mabarak's "Poodles".

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I'm glad I listen to CNN as I wouldnt go near FOX news with a 10 ft pole! I wouldnt be suprised at all if 6 months from now the military was still in control. Theyre saying that the supreme military council leader is just another one of Mabarak's "Poodles".

Mabarek's Poodles? Now is that news or propaganda?:rolleyes:

Falligator

Expert Expediter
It's actually the assessment of a variety of people ("academics and civilian analysts") that was contained in a Wikileaked US State Department cable.

Thus was the thought from other high ranking officers in the Egyptian Army as described in the leaked cable.

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Actually CNN is just as entertaining as is Beck and others. The content they present, some of the funniest has been out of Blitzer's Situation Room is akin to that former entertainer Larry King in sensationalism and form.

The two places that seem to be balanced is the BBC and Der Spiegel on most foreign news (Iraq and Afghanistan/Pakistan is one exception). Reuters and the AP who both depend on American journalist (if they can be called that) seem to put spins on their material for the American market, for example in a piece by the A&P on the comparison to the Iranian revolution and the forced change in Egypt's government - People Power - making it look like there was a great push for democracy in both cases.

Rlent, it seems there is a lot we agree on.

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
It's actually the assessment of a variety of people ("academics and civilian analysts") that was contained in a Wikileaked US State Department cable.

I'm not really disputing that he is Mubarek's poodle. It was a sarcastic response to someone who watches a news show and them believes what is told to them. Like when Beck and Hannity say something and someone believes it and is critisized for it. Many academics and civilian analysts believe what they say too so what is your point?

muttly

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So did Joseph Goebbels .... according to some .....
A Nazi comparison. Isn't that what Beck does?:rolleyes:

small_goebbels2.jpg

Well ... there ya go ..... :rolleyes:

A Ronald Reagan fan are you?

Learn the difference between propaganda and news (it's considerable) that you might understand.

Ok I'll go to wikepedia. Uh is that a propaganda website?:D

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
I'm not really disputing that he is Mubarek's poodle. It was a sarcastic response to someone who watches a news show and them believes what is told to them.
Understood :D

Like when Beck and Hannity say something and someone believes it and is critisized for it. Many academics and civilian analysts believe what they say too so what is your point?
My only point was what the original source of the data was. :rolleyes:

RLENT

Veteran Expediter
A Ronald Reagan fan are you?
Well, I did vote for him ..... :rolleyes:

Ok I'll go to wikepedia.
Better idea: pick up a good book on the work of Edward Bernays or Ivy Lee .... :rolleyes:

Uh is that a propaganda website?
In some instances I'm quite sure that it is (in fact, I know that to be a fact) ...... although I'll bet that Jimmy Wales would prefer it to be otherwise.

As an example of the above, I watched a video where Israeli citizens were attending workshops to become Wikipedia editors in order to "set the record straight" ..... :rolleyes:

Last edited: