EEOC and Bass Pro

greg334

Veteran Expediter
So layout, you can't differentiate the levels of judgment when you are using the word discriminate. I mean that when you are claiming discrimination in the financial sense, OK I can see it but I can't justify the word used. This is something outside the realm of social context and not really any where near what it truly is. The same goes for a felon, they lost their rights and it is a problem to gain the trust and respect of others in doing so but you don't discriminate against them if you don't hire them. Both of these are choices being made by the person - one is buying a house or property and the other is commiting a crime. With that, a person who is black or hispanic or a woman is does not have that choice and hence it is where the definition of discrimination is properly applied.

Now my point is this, it is not the discrimination that took place that I am really complaining about, it is the spin used by the HR VP to make this a political issue and garner support from the customer base - which is more or less all white males with right leaning or conservative type thinkings. It is his idiotic comments that make his credibility go right into the crapper and it is a direct reflection of the entire management of pro bass shops.

If you want to be a part of that backward thinking, OK I can't stop you but if you look at the comment for what it actually means and how stupid it sounds, you would be on the right track.

In addition to that, a lot of the facts are left out of the article, like destroying of evidence and retaliation of workers who spoke up, so this isn't just a liberal arm of the government saying this, I trust those employees to actually <GASP!> tell the truth. So because of this, when the HR VP speaks of an attack on the hunters and sportspeople of the country by the administration, it shows me that he could very easily do what others have tried to do in the past and shove the problems under the door mat and get rid of the witnesses in order to make it go away.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
So layout, you can't differentiate the levels of judgment when you are using the word discriminate. I mean that when you are claiming discrimination in the financial sense, OK I can see it but I can't justify the word used. This is something outside the realm of social context and not really any where near what it truly is. The same goes for a felon, they lost their rights and it is a problem to gain the trust and respect of others in doing so but you don't discriminate against them if you don't hire them. Both of these are choices being made by the person - one is buying a house or property and the other is commiting a crime. With that, a person who is black or hispanic or a woman is does not have that choice and hence it is where the definition of discrimination is properly applied.

Now my point is this, it is not the discrimination that took place that I am really complaining about, it is the spin used by the HR VP to make this a political issue and garner support from the customer base - which is more or less all white males with right leaning or conservative type thinkings. It is his idiotic comments that make his credibility go right into the crapper and it is a direct reflection of the entire management of pro bass shops.

If you want to be a part of that backward thinking, OK I can't stop you but if you look at the comment for what it actually means and how stupid it sounds, you would be on the right track.

In addition to that, a lot of the facts are left out of the article, like destroying of evidence and retaliation of workers who spoke up, so this isn't just a liberal arm of the government saying this, I trust those employees to actually <GASP!> tell the truth. So because of this, when the HR VP speaks of an attack on the hunters and sportspeople of the country by the administration, it shows me that he could very easily do what others have tried to do in the past and shove the problems under the door mat and get rid of the witnesses in order to make it go away.

There are TWO definitions of the word discriminate below. You and the government seem to believe that only definition ONE applies in hiring. I believe that definition TWO is the more valid when it comes to hiring.

"dis·crim·i·nate   [v. dih-skrim-uh-neyt; adj. dih-skrim-uh-nit] Show IPA verb, -nat·ed, -nat·ing, adjective
verb (used without object)

to make a distinction in favor of or against a person or thing on the basis of the group, class, or category to which the person or thing belongs rather than according to actual merit; show partiality: The new law discriminates against foreigners. He discriminates in favor of his relatives.

to note or observe a difference; distinguish accurately: to discriminate between things."

As an employer I have the RIGHT and DUTY to my company to hire ONLY the people that fit the needs of my business. I would hire ANYONE who met the needs of my business. Race, gender, sexual orientation, race, color, creed or National origin seldom comes into play.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Better yet, Webster on the subject:

dis·crim·i·nat·eddis·crim·i·nat·ing

Definition of DISCRIMINATE

transitive verb

a : to mark or perceive the distinguishing or peculiar features of
b : distinguish, differentiate <discriminate hundreds of colors>

: to distinguish by discerning or exposing differences; especially : to distinguish from another like object
intransitive verb

a : to make a distinction <discriminate among historical sources>
b : to use good judgment

]: to make a difference in treatment or favor on a basis other than individual merit <discriminate in favor of your friends> <discriminate against a certain nationality

It would seem the the government and maybe you believe that using PROPER discrimination is NOT using good judgement which is how I use the word.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
You know layout, you didn't just miss the point, you ignored it when I slapped you with it.

I ALWAYS ignore slaps. GEEZ. I sure would not want you as a department manager in a sporting goods store that I owned. I could NOT count on you to hire according to the needs of the company which trumps what ever the government may think.

By the way, what ever made you think that people that know fishing are white hicks? Talk about a bigoted idea.

Camper

Not a Member
By the way, what ever made you think that people that know fishing are white hicks? Talk about a bigoted idea.

Yeah, I'm sure many of Native American or Hebrew ancestry would beg to differ with that premise...

Posted with my Droid EO Forum App

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Yeah, I'm sure many of Native American or Hebrew ancestry would beg to differ with that premise...

art.gefilte.gi.jpg

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter

Yeah, a few of them dudes know how to fish. I know one Native American who is VERY good with a "jiggin rod" out on the "River". Lenard still has the original copy of a Treaty signed by President Monroe in which his tribe gave up the rights to the area between Detroit and Toledo. He was a pretty good shot on ducks in his day. His eyesight is not what it used to be. I have not seen him out hunting for a long time.

I know his grandson too. I sure wish he had tried to hire on when I was at Gander. Talk about a kid who knew the "River" He was nursed on Detroit River water growing up. His first "solid food" was river muck!! A TRUE River Rat!! He is a better shot than his granddad ever was! I would have hired him yesterday!

Last edited:

greg334

Veteran Expediter
I ALWAYS ignore slaps. GEEZ. I sure would not want you as a department manager in a sporting goods store that I owned. I could NOT count on you to hire according to the needs of the company which trumps what ever the government may think.

Well maybe there is some reason why I wouldn't want to be a manager for you comes to mind.

but the funny thing is that you and others who defend these idiots are so far removed from the board room and the corporate office, you don't get this point - they don't care.

Nope no where near bigoted, I am white and I know that hicks are in my race of people so I can't be bigoted.

But you finally cuaght that one, so you may be reading what I posted, interesting.

I wish you would read this again, it isn't about the government's case against them, it is about them following the law when someone complains about them and more so the idea that they project an idiotic position that this is a political thing and they did nothing wrong.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well maybe there is some reason why I wouldn't want to be a manager for you comes to mind.

but the funny thing is that you and others who defend these idiots are so far removed from the board room and the corporate office, you don't get this point - they don't care.

Nope no where near bigoted, I am white and I know that hicks are in my race of people so I can't be bigoted.

But you finally cuaght that one, so you may be reading what I posted, interesting.

I wish you would read this again, it isn't about the government's case against them, it is about them following the law when someone complains about them and more so the idea that they project an idiotic position that this is a political thing and they did nothing wrong.

Well, I just don't agree with your assesment of the article. I also think that MANY of the laws that EEOC promote are wrong. I read more than you think.

As to you not wanting to manage for me, that is OK. I doubt if you are qualified for the job anyway. So it all works out for the good, eh? :D

greg334

Veteran Expediter
Well finally ... whew I thought I had to keep this up all night long.

The article is written in a way to make it look like there is no reason to go after these idiots but in fact when you read the EEOC's stuff, there is things in there that were done in a manner that harms not just the employees but the business by the HR department.

As I said, I don't believe the EEOC but the workers who were harassed while this went on, they have a reason to speak up and not worry about being retaliated against and the EEOC will take care of that to ensure they are not harassed. I think you may agree that's a bad thing to be done to people who work there.

layoutshooter

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Well finally ... whew I thought I had to keep this up all night long.

The article is written in a way to make it look like there is no reason to go after these idiots but in fact when you read the EEOC's stuff, there is things in there that were done in a manner that harms not just the employees but the business by the HR department.

As I said, I don't believe the EEOC but the workers who were harassed while this went on, they have a reason to speak up and not worry about being retaliated against and the EEOC will take care of that to ensure they are not harassed. I think you may agree that's a bad thing to be done to people who work there.

No, I don't have to agree. I don't know that anything wrong was done. Everyone I know or knew that worked there, loved it. I also know that many file complaints just to cause trouble or to try to cash in on the "court lottery". I have seen that far too many times in my life.

IF I knew the workers personally, KNEW that they were truly treated wrong I agree. I just don't trust the government or their agenda. I don't believe MANY workers that file these complaints either.

I have seen far too many who filed complaints saying that they were fired for race, gender etc when it was not true.

It will all come out in the end.