E-1 orientation

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Hi every one well we finally made our choices.E-1 & expediters services.Thank you everyone for your advice.we start orientation 6-22-09.I do have some questions for E-1 drives about orientation(what to expect).Also have questions about expediter trucks creature comorts(what to bring tv micowave etc....)Only spoke briefly with Larry on friday.After hanging up, more newbie questions popped into our heads.I will be calling Larry ,and i think her name was Angie from expediters,with my list of questions.But if you want to awnser some of my questions it would be greatly appreciated!Also looking for a mentor to help out the newbies.Thanks Jeff & Denise:D

guido4475

Not a Member
Congratulations! it sounds like you made the right choice(s).I am not sure if the expeditors services trucks have them in them or not, but a first-aid kit comes to mind.Wal-mart has a nice setup for around 10 dollars, it is in a white box, about 12" long x8" high and 3" thick. it has everything you need, except hydrogen peroxide.probably one of those cigarette lighter adapters that will turn one outlet into 3 or 4.Small inverter for your laptop for those times when the generator goes down,unless you have a cigarette lighter plug cord for your laptop. I could go on and on, but these are a few that come to mind.I carrry my own shower head along, if youre picky about a shower as much as I am, then it is a lifesaver.I pull the watersaver out of mine. And a pair of pliers for those not so loose shower heads in the truckstops.Just a pet-peeve of mine.

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome, I've been with Express-1 for a little over 4 1/2 years. You will drive yourself nuts trying to load up on things you think you'er need. As time goes by you will know. Half the junk I took out on my first trip, I unloaded when I got home. I have; TV, Micowave, Small 110v refig., CB for traffic info, 2000 watt inverter, extra battery, 2000 watt generator, heat/air, Laptop with GPS, 1st aid kit, other safety equipment, oh, and lots of cigars...It sounds like a lot but I can carry 3 full size skids. I drive a Sprinter

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Thanks,orderd a new Garmin365t from go truck stop shipping6/10.Have small 2 plug inverter we used for camping.Have 13"tv/dvd.New laptop.thinking about bring microwave from house(sold house and all worldly possesions).Keep sakes will be stored at my daughters house.We will stay there when in town.Do u think i can fit my 55"wide screen in the sleeper?lol .Should probably get converter & antenna for tv.We will be in a staight truck.I thought it had inverter in it already?Maybe not.We plan on staying out 6-7 weeks then home 1 week.So wify needs lots of stuff (shes high maint type lol).o yea gotta get the potty to.Plan on hitty wally word once out of orientation.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
If any one is in town haggin at wally world at 14 & vandyke your welcome to come by the house 1omile & hayes area BBQ and beer later probably some texas holdem to.U can park at cvs/big lots im 3 streets away.PM for more info.Having final garage sale today must be out by next weekend.

jujubeans

OVM Project Manager
Thanks,orderd a new Garmin365t from go truck stop shipping6/10.Have small 2 plug inverter we used for camping.Have 13"tv/dvd.New laptop.thinking about bring microwave from house(sold house and all worldly possesions).Keep sakes will be stored at my daughters house.We will stay there when in town.Do u think i can fit my 55"wide screen in the sleeper?lol .Should probably get converter & antenna for tv.We will be in a staight truck.I thought it had inverter in it already?Maybe not.We plan on staying out 6-7 weeks then home 1 week.So wify needs lots of stuff (shes high maint type lol).o yea gotta get the potty to.Plan on hitty wally word once out of orientation.

For the wife...don't forget all those high maintenance items...the hair stuff, the nail stuff, the books and dvd's, all your favorite cooking devices and lordey be...do NOT forget at least 7 changes of clothing..in the swing seasons it'll be more because you'll need winter and summer clothes. OH and get a pet...when you've been cooped up in the same truck as your hubby for weeks on end someone will still love you...*LOL*

And prepare to stay home for the summer so he can get his "man cave" back......:D

guido4475

Not a Member
I am sure that expeditor services trucks all have generators ion them.A small 400 watt continuous inverter will run a 13" tv, dvd player, computer, printer, and phone chargers all at the same time.At least mine did.A porta-potty is a life saver as well.

eggd1ver

Seasoned Expediter
Hello,Me and my wife are headed to panther June 8th & 9th were new to this biss. also. There is going to be big learner curve for both of us. hope to see ya'll out there if not will drop a line every now and then and compare notes. Happy trucking

Rick & Ida panther Drivers

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello,Me and my wife are headed to panther June 8th & 9th were new to this biss. also. There is going to be big learner curve for both of us. hope to see ya'll out there if not will drop a line every now and then and compare notes. Happy trucking

Rick & Ida panther Drivers

The learning curve always take a turn thru the wallet!!

Man and wife teams is why they don't allow guns in the truck! You'll find out...*LOL*

Good Luck to both new teams....

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
Rick were u at the E.O. workshop in S.Bend In.last week? If so we may have already met. Are u totally new to trucking? I drove OTR for awhile,wife and kid's didn't like me being gone 6 week's at a time.I came off the road to haul new car's locally.THAT didn't last to long,laid off.Now kid's are gone it's time to gat back out on the road.Good luck see ya out there.Remeber, keep the pedal to the metal,and the shinny side up!

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
http://www.expeditersonline.com/forum/general-expediter-forum/20332-heading-out-need-advice.html

here is a link when i asked these questions

eggd1ver

Seasoned Expediter
TeamJDW, No I wasn't there will try to get to one in the future. I've got class A wife's got class B. I drove my owen rig up in maine hauling lobsters for a seafood co. me and wife owened for about ten years she drove a ten wheeler thought out the northeast. me and my wife get along pretty good we know who the boss is HER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!. The first time in this biss. She is a accountant so we thought we would drive for a fleet owener for a couple of years before getting our owen truck.

Rick&Ida Panther Drivers

mhoy40

Expert Expediter
e-1 is a good company there orientation will turn your brain to moosh,(although so will everybody elses orientation) good people over there.ran there for a few years at fed ex now but miss some of the people over there.they have a built in mentor in there office i didnt much care for her,(not her directly but her job) if you can find a driver thats willing to help do so,the driver relations lady over there is a sweet lady but shes pretty much so there for looks(kiinda like talking to a telephone pole you can talk till your blue in the face and never get a meaningful answer)its always the usaul candy coated were doin the best we can or its really slow right now get used to that youll hear it alot

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
Also have questions about expediter trucks creature comorts(what to bring tv micowave etc....)

If ya have any room left dont forget the X-box and router with long cable so ya can go truck to truck,,Ya wont find someone everyday but if ya are a true gamer ya can seek out and find someone on the c-b or at your home terminal,,Rember tho both trucks will need the same disk so get two of your favorite game..most I every connected to was 3 trucks @ one time...

Steady Eddie

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
e-1 is a good company there orientation will turn your brain to moosh,(although so will everybody elses orientation) good people over there.ran there for a few years at fed ex now but miss some of the people over there.they have a built in mentor in there office i didnt much care for her,(not her directly but her job) if you can find a driver thats willing to help do so,the driver relations lady over there is a sweet lady but shes pretty much so there for looks(kiinda like talking to a telephone pole you can talk till your blue in the face and never get a meaningful answer)its always the usaul candy coated were doin the best we can or its really slow right now get used to that youll hear it alot

Just wondering here. In 4 1/2 years I've never had the need to talk with the drivers relation person. However, she has called me a few times and sent me email, so I'm wondering why would you need to call? By reading between your lines, I can only guess?

inkasnana

Expert Expediter
Hubby and I have been with E1 since Oct. 07. They are a great company with lots of friendly, helpful people. Some things that you might want to make sure you have are:

lots of black pens - I like the gel kind as they almost always write the first time without having to scribble on something to get the ink flowing.

Two clipboards - One for the current load BOL and load information sheet, and one for the fuel receipts for the load and to hold past load paperwork until you have the time to get it all filed in a notebook or folder. (I'm a procrastinator when it comes to filing my paperwork and sometimes have 3 or 4 past loads on that clipboard. lol. It keeps everything all together.)

A binder notebook - You may choose to use pocket folders instead, but we use a 3 ring binder to file all of our past load paperwork into. After sending in the Trip Pack for your current load, you are going to want a safe place to store the copies of the BOL's until E1 has paid for those loads. Sometimes BOL's get lost on the way to E1 so you will NEED that copy you made to send them another copy. I also have a paper hole punch, but if you use folders you won't need that.

Small legal notepads - I use these to write down every stop we make. I write down your location, truck mileage and time we stopped. It is a great help with keeping your logs correct. For example, you stop for lunch, stay for 45 min, and you're ready to leave again.. oops.. what time did we get here? One look at the pad and you know exactly. Another benefit of keeping track of every stop is at tax time you will be able to easily see what dates you were at home, and it's kind of fun sometimes to just look back through the pages and see where you've been and when. Just get in the habit of writing down every stop. It's the first thing we do after we pull the brake knob.

Small plastic box - to hold extra pens, roll of scotch tape, staple puller, stamps, paper clips, and any other little office type things you think you might need. You may rarely use any of some of the things, but they are always nice to have on hand if you ever do need them. That's why I suggest a small box. Stamps can be difficult to find at truck stops so it's nice to have some on hand. Sometimes BOL paperwork is stapled together so a staple puller helps as paperwork cannot be stapled together in the Trip Pack. Paper clips help you keep previous load paperwork and fuel receipts together until you can get it all filed, and scotch tape comes in handy when BOL's get torn or the Trip Pack envelope won't seal.

A couple manila envelopes - to store past copies of logs in. You will need to keep 7 days worth of log copies in your log book, and at least 2 past weeks worth stored somewhere in the truck. You will be sending the top copy in to E1 in the Trip Pack. They are an odd size and don't fit into a regular 3 ring binder so the manila envelopes work great to hold past copies. One for each of you. A tip about the logs, if you purchase log binders from E1, when you open a new pack of logs the cardboard piece at the back of the package makes a great "blocker" between your current log and the ones below so you don't "write through" onto the previous copies.

An "Over the seat" pocket organizer - I don't know what else to call it. lol. The one we have is made of denim material and goes over the top of the seat and hangs down behind. It has lots of pockets and is great for storing binders, clipboards, magazines, maps, what ever you want to stuff into it. It keeps everything organized and at your fingertips so to speak.

A box of envelopes - I have both the short and long ones but have never used the short ones. They will be needed if you are required to mail receipts in to your truck owner or for anything else you may occasionally need to mail.

Zip-lock bags - I buy both large and small ones. They are GREAT for a ton of different situations and make a great place to keep all your personal receipts that you will need at tax time. I have a small 4 cup coffee pot in the truck and the small bags are great to put used filters/coffee grounds in to throw away. We have a small trash can also that gets tipped over once in a while because of sharp turns or bumps etc.. and the bags prevent coffee grounds from spilling all over the floor. (A tip I learned the hard way! lol) Anything that may be "messy" in the garbage can be put into the zip lock bags and it will be all contained. I also use them to store all those extra packets of salt, pepper, ketchup, etc that you pick up from restaurants. Sometimes they are nice to have on hand.

A wisk broom w/dustpan - Needed to sweep the floor of the cab and I use ours on the sleeper carpet as well since my little hand vac broke and it wasn't effective at cleaning our sleeper carpet anyway.

A pet hair picker-upper roller - Our sleeper has black carpet (of all colors!!) and it shows everything that falls onto it, so I finally got to see just how much hair I lose on a daily basis. I was amazed, and I'm surprised I'm not bald! Anyway, the roller is a great way to pick the hair up off the carpet. I'm not in the truck at the moment and I forget the name of the one I buy but it's usually up by the registers at Walmart. It has sheets that you tear off and throw away after using it. And of course it would be great to pick up pet hair.

A spray bottle of glass cleaner and paper towels - To clean the inside of the windows and I also use them to clean the truck mirrors and sometimes the headlights.

A disposable camera - To keep on hand in case (God forbid) there's ever an accident. You will need the camera to take pictures of any damage. We once had another driver back his trailer into the side of our sleeper and put a hole in it, so "spit" happens. lol

A couple pair of work gloves - Definitely needed to wear while fueling. After a few times of using them, you will be able to see just how nasty those fuel pump handles are!! The handles of the window washer sticks (I know, not the proper name) are just as nasty as the fuel pump handles.

I've tried to think of as many "must haves" that have not been mentioned as I could. As someone else stated, as time goes on you will pick up things here and there that you feel you need. It's going to be mostly personal choice and your own style.

I wish you both the best of luck, lots of loads and God keep you safe on the road. Maybe we'll meet up someday. :)