DRIVING IN THE STATE OF PA.

teacel

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
To All PA drivers, and any other drivers entering into and driving in the State of Pennsylvania, Take heave to this new law. This new law applies to all commercial as well as noncommercial drivers.

Since driving is such a critical part of our lives - whether we have a short drive just to and from the office, or spend entire days in the drivers seat - The new driving laws have just taken effect for all of us as of June 23, 2003...

Highway Work Zone Law:

1. In addition to double fines and other penalties, PennDOT will
automatically suspend licenses for 15 days when drivers exceed the posted speed limit by 11mph or more, cause an accident or receive a citation for driving at any unsafe speed.

2. A 6 mph "cushion" that police must allow before issuing a speeding ticket when radar or electronic speed sensors are used on open roads will not apply in posted work zones, the same as zero tolerance for exceeding 15 mph in school zones. That is, if the posted speed limit in an "active" work zone is 25 mph, you can be pinched for going 26 mph.

3. Signs marking the beginning of a work zone will display a blinking white strobe light. It will be turned on when the work zone is "active" and turned off when work is stopped for 60 or more minutes.

4. The new law also calls for electronic signs flashing the speed of
vehicles entering work zones. The speed monitoring devices are to be used only on projects costing $300,000 or more on interstates and the PA Turnpike.

Clarifying the Law:

Question: My vehicle is equipped with daytime running lights. Do they
satisfy the provisions of the law requiring use of headlights in work zones?

Answer: No. You must turn your headlights on low beam. No other headlights fulfill the requirements - including parking lights, fog lights and running lights.

Question: What is the fine for violating the headlight law?

Answer: It is a $25 summary offense. That is, it is not a moving violation that will result in points against your license. It's also a secondary offense, meaning police have to stop you for another violation before citing you, the same as the seat belt law.

Question: If the work zone is not "active", that is, if I don't see any construction activity or workers, do I still have to comply with the reduced speed limit?

Answer: Yes. Reduced speed limits are posted to protect everyone. But when the work zone is not active, there is a normal 6 mph leeway before police using electronic devices can cite you for speeding.

Question: Does the law apply only to PennDOT construction?

Answer: No. Regulations also address road users when traffic control
devices are erected for local highway work, utility work, maintenance
operations and crash management.

DRIVE SAFELY!!!

x( x( x( x( x( x(

scratchplayer

Expert Expediter
Hi Tony-
Thanks for the heads-up about PA workzones. I'm based out of Cleveland and although I haven't been through PA in a while, I'm sure I will sooner or later. I think that cracking down on speeders in a work zone is a good thing- you're so close to humans, driving at high speeds, only inches away from someone dying. Think about it- sometimes a hard gust of wind can blow you 12 inches over!! I think these new reg's might be a little too strict, but better safe than sorry.

Jeff

Drive Safely - No Delivery In The World Is Worth An Accident:D