DOT ROAD CHECK & CARGO VANS

Gener8

Expert Expediter
I know of a cargo van driver that was pulled over in the Chicago area recently for a DOT level 3 inspection. Seems like van driver should be ware!!!

This driver had to jump through hoops. A new trooper even asked for his log book. Of course he had none. It took him an hour to be on his way. I know this is true because I saw his inspection report.

Any other van drivers experienced this???

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
This happened to me several years ago in Illinois on I64 just east of St Louis. After trooper pulled me over he said "We stopped you just because it's Roberts Express' turn today" After a permit, license, reg BOL, freight securement check I was on my way. I think it was a training session for a rookie appearing ridealong.

captain

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
I got stopped a while ago in Alabama by a motor carrier enforcement officer who thought I should have a log book. At one time even vans were required to keep a log in Alabama. He did a level II inspection, in which everything was OK, but I still got written up for no log book. My safety director called the Alabama DOT and the citation was voided because logs are not required for vans, unless it is carrying haz-mat that requires a placard. Laws vary from state to state, I guess even the cops get confused sometimes.

fastman_1

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You still need to log with Alabama

Owner/Operator since 1979
Expediter since 1997
B Unit Semi Retired
Somedays are Diamonds and Somedays are Stones