Dot regulations

asjssl

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
Ok I've been reading over this thread & I have a comfortable understanding of DOT cargo van regulations. I have a very specific question that falls under this subject & I need very specific information in response. Can a cargo van that carries freight pull a SMALL (such as 23') camper behind it? I would assume that the answer is yes & that it would fall under combination vehicle regulations...but i never assume. The only concern that i should have is GVW & axle weights. I have a class A CDL with over 10 years experience so I am plenty qualified to operate such a vehicle. I just need to know if it can legally be done.

Hook unhook..load unload..hook unhook...eeek that would get old real quick.....:eek:

Sent from my DROID RAZR using EO Forums

pkoelle

Active Expediter
Easier & quicker than drop & hook of a 53' trailer, cheaper than a motel, & a lot less hassle than tractor trailers....but i do see your point.

pkoelle

Active Expediter
I need to find some of those discussions because i really see no disadvantage to it...but thats also why I'm asking questions.

paullud

Veteran Expediter
Easier & quicker than drop & hook of a 53' trailer, cheaper than a motel, & a lot less hassle than tractor trailers....but i do see your point.

I would bet that the extra cost in fuel, driving back and forth to get the camper, the extra wear and tear, and maintenance on the trailer would almost wipe out any savings on motels.

Sent from my ADR6400L using EO Forums

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
Not to mention the fact that there will be times when the trailer cannot be dropped at a safe location, because even 15 minutes wasted in finding a spot and dropping it can make you late for a delivery, or a pickup, and first time it's stolen, well, there ya go.

tbcabs

Seasoned Expediter
A trailer on a commercial vehicle makes it a combination vehicle.... there fore weight means nothing..... if you dont think so ask the florida dot officer that gave me a 3000 ticket for not logging and took it to court and we lost

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I just need to know if it can legally be done.
Yes, it can legally be done.

I need to find some of those discussions because i really see no disadvantage to it...but thats also why I'm asking questions.

Some of the disadvantages have been mentioned like logging, scales, etc. I'm not sure if any expedite carrier would sign you on knowing you would be pulling a camper. Call around to find out and report back. If you are going out on your own, well one man's disadvantage is another man's box of chocolates.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
It's been mentioned that dropping and re-connecting to a travel trailer doesn't take as long/isn't as complicated as a 53 foot trailer is. I've done both, and--- back in the day when I drove semi, I never had to disconnect the trailer before backing into a dock. That only happened in certain conditions, and since I drove local routes that hardly ever came up. I connected at the beginning of the day, unloaded at upwards of a dozen stops, took the empty to the warehouse we were dealing with and picked up a loaded trailer to bring back to base at the end of the day. The only time it would happen during the route is if the dock required it to close the doors in winter, or if they required it for safety so you couldn't pull away before the fork-truck was finished.

The travel trailer behind a CV requires being dis-connected before pulling into the dock and re-connecting afterwards. Even assuming you're allowed to do that on company property where you're making the pick-up/delivery, it's still more work and more time than you really need, and believe it or not it won't look good to be fiddling with a travel trailer on company property. I can imagine losing contracts because of it. So, drop/pick up the trailer off-site. OK, now go back and re-read what Turtle wrote about that. He's right. Not to mention the bother of finding a place where they will allow you to drop the trailer for upwards of an hour or more while picking up/dropping off freight. Maybe the trailer wasn't stolen, maybe it was towed.......

ATeam

Retired Expediter

You see no disadvantage where other people have pointed out several, but that's OK. If you are willing to put up with something that others are not, it is not the disadvantage to you that it is to them. They don't log, you don't mind logging, disadvantage to them, not to you. They don't like the idea of hooking and unhooking a camper, you don't mind. Disadvantage to them, not to you.

But there comes a point where other people are affected by your decision and toting a camper behind your cargo van involves more than what you are willing to put up with.

Logging involves your carrier and the people in the safety department who are legally obligated to check them. Your choice to log burdens them with obligations that they did not choose to take on. For that reason, a carrier may prohibit your good idea. You may find yourself running under your own authority if you remain committed to your camper.

Many shippers would be surprised the first time you showed up with a camper and asked to drop it on their property while you are making a delivery or pick up. I can see someone on the docks saying, "sure, no problem." But when someone else drives in to work or looks out the office window, he or she will say, "What the hell is that?" The knee-jerk reaction will be to put no thought at all into inventing liability and insurance issues to justify a new rule prohibiting campers in the parking lot if no such rule exists already.

I would think that trailer hitch or wheel locks exist that would discourage theft of a camper that is parked on the street for the short time you are loading or unloading, but I would also think that it is illegal in many cities to park a camper on the street that is not attached to the tow vehicle. So, while it is no problem for you to drop and hook your camper on the street, the local residents and police may have a problem.

I like the idea and I especially like the pesistence you have shown in breaking new ground with an idea others have dismissed. Many new ideas are rejected by others before they are proven to be a success. It has been fun reading your determined yet respectful responses to those who poo-pooh your idea.

That said, I also like it when expediters are seen as a welcome resource by shippers, consignees and the public at large. Dropping a camper and leaving it unattended on private property or on a public street works against that. It gives other people a negative situation to deal with that they would otherwise not have.

billg27

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why not do the reverse. Get a cv based rv and pull a 5' wide, 12' long dual axle cargo trailer. You could haul 3 skids, have 6.5" of hight, have 5,000# weight capacity and never have to drop the trailer to do your p/u or deliverys. CV's can pull a lot of weight with a tow package. And, now your licensed as an RV, never need to worry about scales or dot.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why not do the reverse. Get a cv based rv and pull a 5' wide, 12' long dual axle cargo trailer. You could haul 3 skids, have 6.5" of hight, have 5,000# weight capacity and never have to drop the trailer to do your p/u or deliverys. CV's can pull a lot of weight with a tow package. And, now your licensed as an RV, never need to worry about scales or dot.

you'll be targeted as a, truck - trailer combo in a lot of states...and if you exceed 10,000 lb total.....bang.....

to me it would be just another set of wheels to maintain, plus all around maintenance...box lights, brakes, tires,...

Last edited:

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I can easily imagine another problem, and it has to do with licensing the towing vehicle as an RV. That's no problem as long as you're not doing commercial work. License your van as an RV, load up the boat and have a good time. No problem. The problem comes in the instant you do for-hire work with an RV towing a cargo trailer. For some reason, states take a dim view of that sort of thing, and if you want to do that you'll have to license the tow vehicle properly--- as a truck with the appropriate weight rating for your vehicle. First time you're pulled over as an RV doing for-hire commerce, big fine.

Edit; add-on: I don't think it wise to assume you'll never be caught. I live near Chicago, and I've seen times when the DOT cops are at a dock checking trucks. Pull in with that rig, and you've just placed a target on your own back.

Second add-on:
I admit I have thought about pulling a cargo trailer. That was back when I had a lighter van and I was doing local work though. Right now the only issues I can see readily are the DOT issues and of course the increased maintenance/fuel use that comes from towing a trailer. If you have your vehicle properly licensed and you're willing/able to comply with DOT issues, this might not be a bad idea. Setting up the CV for living and using the trailer for hauling freight could work as long as you're able to get work and comply with the laws.

Last edited:

Opel2010

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Yesterday I drove by a RV dealer and I saw some quite nice small trailers, which would be much more comfy than our cv's "sleeper". But since I'd hate to cross every chicken house, I gave up instantly to that idea...

Sent from my SCH-M828C using EO Forums

Brisco

Expert Expediter
......now your licensed as an RV, never need to worry about scales or dot.

To add to what mjm said above..........

....Even though I'm not in Expediting.....I know enough that I don't think any Expedite Carrier out there is taking on RV's right now.....nor have they ever taken on RV's. ;)

Turtle

Administrator
Staff member
Retired Expediter
'cause that's basicly what it is.
Yeah. One thing people need to know when looking at this business is, despite the want and need to be comfortable, you still need to look like an expediter, look professional at least insofar as how you haul freight, to make customers comfortable that you are, indeed, in the business of professionally hauling their freight, so they will have confidence in hiring you to do the job. It is simply not a viable successful option in this business, otherwise people would be doing it. It's not viable because carriers want to be professionally represented, because customers want their freight professionally hauled, and because the added costs in pulling a trailer at current linehaul rates make it a money loser.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Why is this looking a lot like the Beverly hillbillies and u ship rolled into one?!!!

Too many people watch "shipping wars" and think you can really do that. The idea of an RV pulling a cargo trailer "for hire" and getting away with it is something I'd expect to see on "Shipping Wars".

I have seen a CV pulling such a trailer, BUT--- it wasn't commercial. He used the trailer to haul his rather extensive R/C boat collection around. It gave him a place for his boats, the supplies needed for same and a place to work when one of the boats needed repairs. That's quite a different thing than we're trying to do in expedite.

Brisco

Expert Expediter
Too many people watch "shipping wars" and think you can really do that.

Yeppppp................

Same as last season of Shipping Wars....The show hit the airwaves, and the dumbashes hit the "Trucking" Discussion Boards in hoards asking all sorts of stupid ash questions.

If any of the newbies here came here after watching those idgets on that show seeking info on how you can haul Bobs Big Boy across the country in the matter that you see those guys and girls doing it on TV, NO apologies will be coming in your way when we tell you what you DO NOT want to hear, and in a manner that you DO NOT want to hear it in either.............. OK.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I like the idea and I especially like the pesistence you have shown in breaking new ground with an idea others have dismissed. Many new ideas are rejected by others before they are proven to be a success. It has been fun reading your determined yet respectful responses to those who poo-pooh your idea.

I don't consider reviving two old threads as "breaking new ground" or that anyone poo-poohed his idea. Pulling a camper behind a van doesn't need to be proven in practice to be rejected. The comments, which the OP asked for support the fact that this particular setup isn't practical, legal or something most carriers would allow. If the OP wants comfort, doesn't mind logging and doing the scale thing, why not buy a truck? He'll be happy, his carrier will be happy and the shippers and receivers will be happy. How's that for breaking new ground?