Done went and did it

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Hello to you all.
I have not been on here for a couple of years, but I have been reading and following, because I have a friend in the business, and I still thought I would like to make a go of it. Here is what I did and what I plan on doing, so bear with me. I purchased a new 2014 Promaster 3500, even though you all said I should by old, less payments, in case it does not work. My reasoning, if you can call it that, I am not mechanically inclined, so I figured I could go new, and hopefully be able to run without any major issues for the next couple of years. I have all my gear collected, insured with CIS, and meet my recruiter on the 28th of this month. I live in Florida, but I am from Michigan, so I have family and friends I can stay with if need be. My wife is used to me being away for long periods of time, so that is not an issue for us (she is probably very happy). I hope to be out for months at a time, not weeks. I have a two year window to get out here and learn the ropes. My wife will retire and come out with me. In two years, I should know whether or not we can make a good living in the van, or I need to get my CDL and get into a straight truck. I am hiring on with my friends company, who seem to keep him pretty busy, because I had run with him for about six months before I got my hip replaced. I hope that things work out well between them and I, but I am also hoping after putting my time in, that I might get on with Landstar. I like how they have the computer board for loads to find. Just wanted to to stop in and say hello again. I got a lot of information from a lot of you a couple of years ago and that is why I have never stopped checking in from time to time.

One question I do have for you guys, does the Idleair at the truck stops only work for the big rigs, or will it also work on my van? I look forward to meeting as many of you out there that I can. Have a great day.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome back and good luck, sounds like a viable plan.

On the idle air question yes they can set your van up to use it. That said with a new vehicle you would save over the long term by insulating, adding rooftop air a generator and an espar. Yes it costs more upfront but the return on investment is higher. It is with you 24/7 compared to the limited availability of idle air. Less idle time always saves more than fuel costs alone. Remember these things are a tin can that amplify heat and transmit the cold very efficiently.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Welcome back and good luck, sounds like a viable plan.

On the idle air question yes they can set your van up to use it. That said with a new vehicle you would save over the long term by insulating, adding rooftop air a generator and an espar. Yes it costs more upfront but the return on investment is higher. It is with you 24/7 compared to the limited availability of idle air. Less idle time always saves more than fuel costs alone. Remember these things are a tin can that amplify heat and transmit the cold very efficiently.
Thanks Xiggi. I was hoping you would be one of the first to reply, you always seem to try to keep it nice, LOL. I have checked out all those things, but right now, I have to prove to mama there is money to be made, so going to be using the air bed and cooler, and things like that to start off. If things work as I hope they will, then I have seen where you guys have mentioned recreation dealers that can hook you up pretty good for heat and air. I get some miles under the belt and money put away, I can do the insulation. I have read a lot on here about doing that, and seen a lot of pictures on here. I appreciate it, thanks.

xiggi

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I actually insulated my van between loads on the road. I was going to have it sprayed and then thought, well while I'm setting here. I would go buy a sheet of foam or a roll of fiber whatever I needed at the moment and do a section. Before I knew it that project was checked off the list.

Sounds like your gonna do fine.

Reactions: neilblack

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I actually insulated my van between loads on the road. I was going to have it sprayed and then thought, well while I'm setting here. I would go buy a sheet of foam or a roll of fiber whatever I needed at the moment and do a section. Before I knew it that project was checked off the list.

Sounds like your gonna do fine.
I am typing with my wife right now, so I can come on here a little more often. I really have been reading and following everyone's post. I know about the downtime and about the areas that you will find yourself stuck in being new. I also have a buddy that has been doing this for a long time, so he will help me through some of the stumbling blocks. My wife has her own transcription business and can pay the bills at home, but she wants to retire in two years and is looking to come out here and just travel the states and Canada with me. We are not looking to get rich, those times are long behind us. We enjoy each other's company and hope to do like Team Caffee or the like. I have money in the bank if I need a hotel in Laredo for a couple of nights, but I am hoping the cooler temps are right around the corner. It is easier to get warm than for me to cool off. That is why I waited until this part of the season, I knew I would have sweated to death in this can. I have a little sandwich warmer thing to heat up subways. I am going to be the next spokesperson for them. I do good on Atkins, so I am going to be living on the subway breakfast sandwiches without the BUN. The eggs make a great BUN all by themselves. I will save a lot of money that way and I like them. I talk a lot, so I will leave now.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I will second the roof a/c, generator and Espar. As for you and your wife doing this together, Terry and Rene ran together in their vans for many years. They didn't "get rich" but they had a good life on the road together. Between a couple of years experience on your own plus your friend's help I bet you guys could do the same and with the van be able to get to almost everywhere to enjoy it. Good luck.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks LDB, we hope so. The other thing I am hoping for is to be able to trade this van in on a 170 sprinter that we can have a berth area when the wife comes out. I don't mind struggling and roughing it, but a whole another ballgame when she comes on board. It is just my hopes down the road. We like the van also for getting into the parks and things like that. I have my passport, but should I also get that Fast card to go into Canada, or is the passport enough? I saw your posts about EZ pass and I pass. I am getting my EZ pass tomorrow, I think that was the one everybody agreed on, because they are going to be expanding their area.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
If I were going out again today I'd have passport, FAST card, TWIC card and anything else I could get. They'll never pass you by for a load because you have more than you need. I know of times when having just hazmat put me out sooner than I would have been because the guy(s) ahead of me didn't have it.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I purchased a new 2014 Promaster 3500, even though you all said I should by old, less payments, in case it does not work. My reasoning, if you can call it that, I am not mechanically inclined, so I figured I could go new, and hopefully be able to run without any major issues for the next couple of years.
I think your reasoning is sound. If for some reason expediting doesn't work out you can always use a van for an everyday vehicle, unlike a straight truck. You can also easily sell a van although you will take a bit of a loss.

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have money in the bank if I need a hotel in Laredo for a couple of nights, but I am hoping the cooler temps are right around the corner. It is easier to get warm than for me to cool off. That is why I waited until this part of the season, I knew I would have sweated to death in this can.
A half dozen nights in a motel will more than pay for insulation. Cooler weather is just around the corner. -30°F in Frostbite Falls, Minnesota isn't far off. Get a quality sleeping bag or two.

Reactions: RoadTime

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If I were going out again today I'd have passport, FAST card, TWIC card and anything else I could get. They'll never pass you by for a load because you have more than you need. I know of times when having just hazmat put me out sooner than I would have been because the guy(s) ahead of me didn't have it.
Depends on the carrier. I've been passed by because I was Canada qualified with a FAST card.

Reactions: scottm4211

RoadTime

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A half dozen nights in a motel will more than pay for insulation. Cooler weather is just around the corner. -30°F in Frostbite Falls, Minnesota isn't far off. Get a quality sleeping bag or two.

And get off the floor if not already, that air mattress is nice right now, but when it gets cold it's like trying to sleep on a block of ice.

Reactions: don111 and Moot

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Thanks for all the good advice. I am a big guy, so I plan on getting one of those double extremely cold sleeping bags and a thick rug to put my feet down on first thing in the morning. Down the road, I want to set up a dual bank of batteries with an inverter. I love to read, so I don't need the television, except for football games, but I should be able to catch them anywhere. I just checked on the FAST card and will try to get one on my first trip over the border. I will also check on the TWIC card, they don't take up much room in the van. Speaking of Frostbite and -30. I bought the diesel and have never had one before. I am reading the manual and I feel pretty comfortable with everything but really cold weather. It states that if I sit in anything -20 for like overnight, I have to plug the van in for a couple of hours before starting. Here is my question, how do you plug it in if you are staying at a motel? Or is this when I turn down a load because I have a diesel?

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Speaking of Frostbite and -30. I bought the diesel and have never had one before. I am reading the manual and I feel pretty comfortable with everything but really cold weather. It states that if I sit in anything -20 for like overnight, I have to plug the van in for a couple of hours before starting. Here is my question, how do you plug it in if you are staying at a motel? Or is this when I turn down a load because I have a diesel?
Most motels, especially the mom and pop places where -20°F is common in the winter will have plug-ins available. Just ask at the desk. Also carry a cold weather extension cord (usually blue) remains pliable in extreme cold. Diesel or not, every expediter should carry a decent set of jumper cables. Even if you don't need a jump someone near you will.

The diesel should chime in about fuel additives. When I drove big trucks I always used Power Service and carried extra fuel filters and a filter wrench. A leather belt works for removing fuel filters but pretty much ruins the belt. Although I have heard some women like the smell of English Leather Diesel #2. My wife wasn't one of them.

Reactions: RoadTime

scottm4211

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You need to make an appointment to be interviewed /fingerprinted by both sides for a FAST card. And if you have any priors, you won't qualify for entering Canada, do a search for details,(just a heads up). Good luck.

Reactions: Moot

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
You need to make an appointment to be interviewed /fingerprinted by both sides for a FAST card. And if you have any priors, you won't qualify for entering Canada, do a search for details,(just a heads up). Good luck.
Excellent advice hoser!

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Good morning people. Again, great advice and thoughts, much appreciated. I used to be a cop, but then realized I liked people to much to do that job. Left there and worked personal protection for a CEO and traveled all over the world until getting injured and having my hip replaced. Background checks will not be a problem, weight restrictions might, put on a lot of weight sitting and typing with the wife, but should come off quickly getting out and about. Also have a membership at gym, so if I have to wait on a load I can get some exercise in, plus the showers are free. Going out tomorrow to finish picking up things for the van, definitely looking for the blue extension cord (thanks), have jumper cables. When I lose the weight, will pick up a hammock to be off the floor, plus I sleep very well in one of those. Thank you again for all the sound advice, really excited to get out here, and then sit and wait LMBO.

Mailer

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Wow and Awesome!

You're totally motivated. You did your homeworks, got your plan laid out, got your finance in order, and asked all the right questions. And the most important of all, a thumb up from your wife. Well done !

Welcome and good luck:)