Dock high?

mister_newbie

Expert Expediter
I heard from our dispatcher, that Ford Motor Co., has several plants, stating that they no longer will have cargo vans haul into these plants. The only trucks allowed in will have to be dock high.

Has anyone heard about this happening?

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I believe many automotive plants have had that rule for some time now.. something to do with the union rules for unloading I believe.

Dreamer

jimbo van

Expert Expediter
I too have been thinking of loading and unloading a van.At my work you are dock high truck or hand loading,like I do every day!I go to very few places that have ramps or doors to unload a van at.This dock high thing may be a problem?I would think the auto industrie would have had this problem worked out by now?Just a thought,Jim

dragonrider

Expert Expediter
.They refused to un-load me for 5 hours,finally the plant manager told them to do it as a stores delivery.The problem is that they say using straps to pull load to rear is un-safe.I had 8 totes on board and was lucky that it was only a 2000 lb load,to keep peace I slid each to rear so forklift could get them.This is something the uaw used as a excuse to make ford rework the contract.The uaw claims that there forklife drivers have been hurt badly pulling loads to rear, because chain and straps break.I have newer straps and a nice southern yellow pine ,regular truck floor.This helps cause there is no seams acros floor to hang up sliding stuff.Also one guard said that too many non ford vans came in,also that the "new" german thing hurting ford sales.{sprinter}

jimbo van

Expert Expediter
I believe many automotive plants have had that rule for some time now.. something to do with the union rules for unloading I believe.

I thought auto was a large part of van expediting.
Thanks

Doggie Daddy

Veteran Expediter
jimbovan, there are lots of people on EO with vans.they must be to busy to reply,so things must be going pretty good.DD. :)

terryandrene

Veteran Expediter
Safety & Compliance
US Coast Guard
Jimbo: We haven't been to an auto assembly plant in quite a while so I can't answer you specific question for the problems today. In the past we've not had a problem with auto folks unloading us in order of our turn. We occasionaly find a non-ramp situation at other companies and if we can figure a way to get loaded, we improvise as best we can. An old sage once said "wisdom is the ability to discover alternatives".

We've been unloaded onto straight truck lift gates with pallet jack.
We've been unloaded by an overhead 20 ton crane at a construction site.
We were once unloaded by a tow truck derrick backed into the rear of the van, straps around the skid and gently slid out.
And, we've hand delivered lots of stuff.

jimbo van

Expert Expediter
Sorry all,I am just a worry-wart.I am over concerned.Thanks for the reply's.I will try to control myself!Jimbo

X1_SRH

Expert Expediter
Just an FYI to all, if it helps this topic...

I occasionally monitor the NLM website where the majority of the automotive freight is put up for bid to major carriers. When a load is posted there is a little note that will appear indicating "dock high required". A lot of what once were "van" loads are now being labeled as "dock high required" on the internet. Some of these loads are even as small as a couple of little boxes sometimes.

The catch to this scenario is that when a load requires a "dock high" truck, NLM will pay straight truck rates - even when it's just a couple (or even 1) small boxes. Many C and D units are making full rate on NLM runs running practically empty.

Ladies and Gentlemen, This is why cars and trucks are expensive. -X

Sprinting

Expert Expediter
Dreamer,
I really haven't known this to be true. Why just sept 22, My "German" Van hauled a rack with 3, 4.6 liter engines, from the Ford Romeo engine plant, to the Ford truck plant in Dearborn. I've done runs to the Ford new parts parts warehouse recently also. Maybe just certain plants have that rule. I too use a tow strap to pull skids out, could'nt imagine it breaking. I went to that because its much lighter than a chain, easier for me handle too. If it ever gets in rough shape I would sure replace it, and not wait for it to break.;) Stay safe out there!

trhoades

Expert Expediter
I too have a "German" thing. The only time I've noticed a freight decline is during the expected months. I also don't remember ever being turned down at Ford's due to not being dock high. If Ford has a problem with straps, I have no problem buying a heavy duty chain and a pallet grabber. Although, I can understand the mindset behind not using straps. I once had a cargo strap bust when I used a forklift in the marines. If it hadn't been for the vertical bar on the forklift, the metal crank on the strap would have put a nice size hole in my melon, as it bent the bar pretty good.

Weave

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
Many of the GM plants aren't even allowing dock high straight trucks anymore. They will only unload from 102 x 102 trailers that must be less than 10 years old. I'll take it one of their old receiving managers made it to the top of the UAW:D
-Weave-