Do you balance your straight truck tires?

WanderngFool

Active Expediter
I just got some front end work done on my straight and put some pretty good steers on, pretty expensive at any rate. I thought the tire guy knew he was supposed to balance them and I should have checked. Anyway, they didn't get balanced but the 70 mile ride home was nice and smooth.

$1100 tires. Should I get them balanced?

guido4475

Not a Member
Always balance the steers. I had them re- balanced every 20 thousand miles after the fiest time. I was one of the few that kept the drives balaced as well.it pays off in the long run.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using EO Forums mobile app

bluejaybee

Veteran Expediter
I just got some front end work done on my straight and put some pretty good steers on, pretty expensive at any rate. I thought the tire guy knew he was supposed to balance them and I should have checked. Anyway, they didn't get balanced but the 70 mile ride home was nice and smooth.

$1100 tires. Should I get them balanced?

As long as it rides and drives good, I wouldn't have them balanced now. But I always balanced my steer and drives. I don't remember ever having a new tire on a truck that didn't need balancing. Never bought $1100 tires either, so maybe I have missed out all these years.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
I have the tire guy throw a bag of equal in the steers. The powder or beads are supposed to find the off balance spot so the tires are always balanced no need to re balance them. It works out well works for me.

Bob Wolf.

jjoerger

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
US Army
We have all of ours balanced.

Sent from my EVO using EO Forums mobile app

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Compare the price of balancing against the price of tires.

I have every tire balanced.

aquitted

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I have been told your wasting your money when you balance the drives. On a truck anyway.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
I balance the drives, do a three axle alignment when I get steers and gauge them once a month.

Also run a pressure monitor system.

Tires are too expensive to be lazy with them.

Slo-Ride

Veteran Expediter
I don't balance my drive tires but I do on the steers..Rotate them often and every time I see the funny wear (Cupping) starting on the edges.. Have the tires flipped on the wheels every other time I rotate them. Wont be long and I may hit 280000 on this set of Kelly's, Best I have gotten since owning this truck..Granted allot of these are M.T. miles and not loaded miles :rolleyes:

Reason I say may hit 280000 on this set is, I have a bounce/shake at low speeds and balancing is not correcting it. May get rid of them soon?? Or not, may just run whats left out of them?? Ill let the banker decide that after the holidays. Thread depth is still looking good.

RETIDEPXE

Veteran Expediter
I -balance steers and drives before mounting.
-centramatics all the way around
-plus tru balance beads in the drives (yes they do work with centramatics)
-tru bal sleeves on the drive studs
-tru bal budded lug nuts on the steers

I have invested in a compressor and 1" impact to DIY, and have spent a lot of time before I discovered how to avoid the cupping, bounce/shake or river wear on tires.

If you don't DIY, or out on the road and have a bounce/shake after rotation or after wheel unbolted and rebolted for whatever reason, I pull into a truck stop and ask the srvce writer if OK that I stand by the tech and instruct him, and charge me by the hour. I ask him to jack the wheel up and then check for run-out by placing a block of wood or whatever close enough to the tire to visually inspect for out of round condition. If more then 1/8th of an inch, I ask them to unbolt and rebolt the wheel 180 degrees from current position without dismounting the tire from the wheel (the tech will look at you funny but will learn something after you show 'em the results). Now recheck, and 9 out of 10 times the out of round will be virtually nill and the bounce/shake will be gone, assuming you don't have a more serious problem like a belt or a bent wheel, but either of these problems will probably show an out of round of more the 1/8th of an inch.

moose

Veteran Expediter
most shops will not agree to do this: once your wheels are "balanced". ask the tech to flip the wheel over & remount it on the machine. {so the wheel is spinning the other way around}.
suddenly the wheel is not balanced anymore.
2 conclusions:
*the wheel must spinning on the machine the same directions it will spin on the truck.
* stationery balancing is not enough. and you must have an on-board wheel balancer as well.
an on-board balancer will also remain active when you catch a stone, or once you drive a thousand mil. and the rubber pattern is not the same no more.

zorry

Veteran Expediter
Pressure Pro. Same as the Caffees.
Put it on my first super-singles in 04.
( wow, didn't realize I've been running them for almost 10 years.)
Saved me a tire, possible fender, flap, etc, a service failure , and possible lost pre-dispatch by alerting me a small piece of metal had caused a tire to lose 12psi last June on a busy, hot Texas day.

Easily paid for itself in one alert.

www.TirePressureMonitor.com

piattteam

Active Expediter
Thank you much.
We get our new truck next week!!!!
We figure on installing a monitor system, and the Onspots, as recommended by the TeamC!