Do I need to log.....

bolter82

Expert Expediter
Going into a straight truck, but first have to take road test for the company. Do I have to log my drive down to the office? My bosses dad doesn't think I do, but I want to be safe.

teamjdw

Expert Expediter
In cmv yes.personal vehicle no.when you finally hit the road do a log sheet showing off duty for last two weeks. Unless you have been a cmv.

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
See above. That said, if you don't need to log it but you do log it anyway you've only sacrificed a small amount of available time. If you find some inspector who decides you should have and you didn't it could be a much greater expense.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Commercial Motor Vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that has a G.V.W. Gross Vehicle Weight or max capacity over 10,000 lbs., or is used in commerce (in the course of business). This will exclude most cars and light trucks / vans unless they transport hazmat. Typically this includes dual wheel pickups, and vans including high cubes aka box vans that exceed the 10,000 lb. reg.

Not only do you have to log but you must also conduct a pre-trip and vehicle inspection before every shift and have written documentation of your inspection in the truck, pull into the scales if they are open, you are subject to dot vehicle and driver inspections, you will need a DOT medical card if you cross state lines.

My cousin found out the expensive way a few weeks ago while transporting a Bobcat for his job . His job is based in western NY had to deliver less than five miles into Pennsylvania to deliver the machine to a jobsite. He was written up for a USDOT# violation, intrastate (Home state) only, no medical card, no inspection report, and no logbook. If he doesn't get a deal he is looking at several grand in tickets. HIS BOSS TOLD HIM HE WAS LEGAL. Shippers and a lot of employers have one thing in common.. They are liars and you will be on your own when schit happens.

So, in short the answer is yes you have to follow all the FMCSA regs.

Your best bet is to go to a truck stop, pick a few packages of loose leaf log pages that include your pretrip inspection, a copy of the FMCSA regs book aka the green monster, and keep thede in your truck. The hazmat book is MANDATORRY if you transport hazmat, its a good idea to have even if you don't transport hazmat in case you see something youre not sure of.
Also its a good idea to have what I call a "friendly contact" with the regional FMCSA office usually located in the nearest major city to you. They are the best ones to ask questions as they can be your best source of correct info or your worst adversary when you screw up.

Good luck and feel free to PM me if you have questions.

Bob Wolf.

usafk9

Veteran Expediter
Not only do you have to log but you must also conduct a pre-trip and vehicle inspection before every shift and have written documentation of your inspection in the truck,

Bob Wolf.

Flag on the pre-trip suffices, unless a defect was found. No more written inspection report for no defects, effective 12/18/14.

bolter82

Expert Expediter
I have short and long form. Have to have that in most expedite jobs. I was just wondering because you don't have to log if you can prove your home base is within the 100 - 150 miles...unless that has changed.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
In New York if you keep a copy of your time card your legal I bought a package of time cards at Sam's club cheap. Write in your start time, 1/2 hr break, and quitting time and you should be good to go. I would still check with your state DOT office and make sure a hand written time card is OK for your local work. Usually, if your a couple hours from home they wont ask for proof of HOS but it helps to have it on you.

BobWolf

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
Flag on the pre-trip suffices, unless a defect was found. No more written inspection report for no defects, effective 12/18/14.

Thanks for the info, I guess I can save a tree or two for firewood.

beachbum

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
A Commercial Motor Vehicle is defined as any motor vehicle that has a G.V.W. Gross Vehicle Weight or max capacity over 10,000 lbs., or is used in commerce (in the course of business). This will exclude most cars and light trucks / vans unless they transport hazmat. Typically this includes dual wheel pickups, and vans including high cubes aka box vans that exceed the 10,000 lb. reg.

Not only do you have to log but you must also conduct a pre-trip and vehicle inspection before every shift and have written documentation of your inspection in the truck, pull into the scales if they are open, you are subject to dot vehicle and driver inspections, you will need a DOT medical card if you cross state lines.

My cousin found out the expensive way a few weeks ago while transporting a Bobcat for his job . His job is based in western NY had to deliver less than five miles into Pennsylvania to deliver the machine to a jobsite. He was written up for a USDOT# violation, intrastate (Home state) only, no medical card, no inspection report, and no logbook. If he doesn't get a deal he is looking at several grand in tickets. HIS BOSS TOLD HIM HE WAS LEGAL. Shippers and a lot of employers have one thing in common.. They are liars and you will be on your own when schit happens.

So, in short the answer is yes you have to follow all the FMCSA regs.

Your best bet is to go to a truck stop, pick a few packages of loose leaf log pages that include your pretrip inspection, a copy of the FMCSA regs book aka the green monster, and keep thede in your truck. The hazmat book is MANDATORRY if you transport hazmat, its a good idea to have even if you don't transport hazmat in case you see something youre not sure of.
Also its a good idea to have what I call a "friendly contact" with the regional FMCSA office usually located in the nearest major city to you. They are the best ones to ask questions as they can be your best source of correct info or your worst adversary when you screw up.

Bob Wolf.

Unless the driver went over 100 air miles from his company no logbook needed, even crossing state lines.

Unless vehicle cgvwr is above 26000 pounds no CDL or medical card needed, you can use regular DL

No inspection report need unless you find a problem, new rule by the FMCSA

And his boss was right, except for maybe the USDOT number, I would have to look that one up, but my thinking is they would need one.