Discontinue Ford Vans

M A WEBSTER

Expert Expediter
Has anyone heard that ford is going to quit making the vans? Back when Ford announced all the big cuts and plant closings. I thought I heard they were going to discontinue making the vans. I know they have a european verson of the Sprinter made in England. Do you suppose the will start inporting such a vehicle to replace the regular vans?

greg334

Veteran Expediter
You are talking about the Ford Transit, been around for a while eerywhere except here. I don't think they will stop selling their Van here in the states for a time, I heard that they have a 6.4 PS already being tested for the NA market.

I know that they are going to bring in the transit, no time line. I am going to drive a transit this weekend, hope I feel good enough to enjoy the test drive.

Honestly I think D-C dropped the ball by doing away with their Van and replacing it with the Sprinter. They didn't bring it into the market properly First M-B sold them, then FL and then Dodge without any Dealer support or properly trained service "experts". Beside I hope Ford listens to the complaints from the Dodge Converts.

rode2rouen

Expert Expediter
I doubt that Ford is planning on discontinuing the E series vans in the near future. They recently (Dec,05) moved van assembly operations to the Avon, OH assembly plant and closed the Lorain, OH, plant where they had been assembled.

Ford had a strange operation going before closing the Lorain plant...E series van bodies were built and painted at the Avon, OH plant and then trucked to the Lorain plant where they were mounted on frames and assembly was completed.

Some of you who travelled I-90 and US-2 may have seen the trucks....big tan trailers with little single axle tractors pulling them. They ran between Baumhart Rd. and SR-611.

Rex

LDB

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
I wonder how many scores of millions of dollars they literally threw away with that silly system.

Leo Bricker, owner trucks 3034, 4958
OOIDA 677319
73's K5LDB
Highway Watch Participant, Truckerbuddy
EO Forum Moderator 1+ Years of Service
-----
Support the entire Constitution, not just the parts you like.