Diesel block heater question for PM

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
I am unable to post in the Promaster forums, so I am bringing this question back to you guys. This concerns the block heater for the Promaster diesel. I have been on the road for 9 weeks and I have not seen a single place where I could plug this heater in. I am trying to figure out my options, because I do not have one at this point. I will have to have one installed. My truck was bought in Florida.

In the manual, it says I cannot have the truck in -20 degree weather for too long, so should this be a concern of mine during the colder months of the year. Should I try to stay south? I am unclear and hope you can tell me your experiences with this.

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
-20 degree weather isn't all that common unless you're on the highway to Alaska. It DOES get cold in the Dakotas and Minnesota, but--- -20 makes the news because it's so doggone rare in the Lower 48.

I note that it did get that cold-- and colder-- here in Chicago--- but that was decades ago. Getting the thermometer much below zero just doesn't happen that often.

Edit; add-on: If you're new to diesels, note that the major winter problem is fuel gelling. #2 diesel doesn't like temps below about +20F, so keeping anti-gel fluid in the fuel is a must. It's just sad to have a tank full of fuel that can't get to the engine.

Last edited:

tknight

Veteran Expediter
Also when buying fuel down south it usually isn't winterized and heading north with it can cause problems also Chang filters more often as water in fuel is bad........ Even a little bit can cost ya a day and loa loss having a filter unit with a heater is also good

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Is it a matter of a strange plug, some strange configuration that you cant find, go to an RV dealer and buy the appropriate adapters for your voltage and current ratings, wrap them up in a rubberized Tape made for Electrical outdoor use and be done with it. Ive built quite a few power cables for this kind of thing, take pictures of your ends, plugs, connectors and post and Ill tell you where you can get them and what you need. Dont splice and cut and do silly things with it, you can build the correct cable and plug set from most RV shops.

pearlpro

Expert Expediter
Yes absolutely use the Antigel even if the weather is fine, when your getting into winter you might go North and bam, temps drop drastically, without the antigel your engine dies and you freeze.....its cheap insurance, I always keep a gallon or two in the truck but most truck stops sell it, stock up on it at the local Farm and Home and save a few bucks. Dont scrimp on it, youll regret it, you add what the directions call for and if the weather starts to get EXTREME, you can add more.....saved my butt up in Grand Isle NB a couple years ago, and watched lots of guys trying to buy the additive, and they were sold out....

Moot

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
The ProMaster should have a normal 120 volt block heater with a normal, grounded male plug. Buy a 20' cold weather extension cord (usually blue in color). Most motels in Cold Country have outlets to plug block heaters into. If you are at a shipper or consignee waiting, ask if you can plug your van in. People who live in Cold Country are very accommodating when the temperature is -30º. Ya, day may efen offer you some tater tot hot dish.

bigdogg

Expert Expediter
Owner/Operator
Again, thanks for all the sound advice. Trying to get home in a few weeks, then will put in insulation in cargo area. Bought the buddy heater with 20 gal tank. I have to crawl before I can walk, so hopefully next winter, my van will be equipped with the Espar and generator then. Right now, I will drop and run if it gets cold, but will get the block heater, cold weather cord, and the antigel. Things going well, lot's of learning curves, but starting to get the miles I was hoping for. I really like it out here, there are moments, but those are few. Stay safe guys and thanks again.

Reactions: Greg

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
Also watch the amount of biofuel in the diesel: Indiana and Illinois use a higher % than most, which will cause gelling at a higher temp than most. If you get fuel with more bio in cold temps, use the antigel sooner than you might otherwise. And keep some Diesel 911 handy, just in case.

Reactions: bigdogg

mjmsprt40

Veteran Expediter
Owner/Operator
If it's below freezing, dump in a bottle of anti-gel. Won't hurt, will help if the temps go lower than you expected. Note that most anti-gel brands boast upper-cylinder lubrication and fuel-injector cleaning--- so it's all good.

Reactions: Deville