DHL to end all US operations

mystictrans

Expert Expediter
It was announced today thet DHL will cease all US domestic services and close all domestic terminals including thier Home terminal and Hub In Willminton OH. laying off 10,000 people in willmington alone.UPS was in talks to buy them but backed out.
The economy takes down another company.I feel for the people of Willminton where the whole town is either employed by DHL or working for a company that services them.

Bruno

Veteran Expediter
Fleet Owner
US Marines
I though the US Goverment pulled their rights in the US and that is why they started all of this?

ATeam

Retired Expediter
Here is more detail from the CNN story about DHL:

"DHL's 9,500 job cuts are on top of 5,400 job reductions announced earlier this year. After these layoffs, between 3,000 and 4,000 employees will remain at DHL's U.S. operations, the company said.

"The company also said it was shutting down all ground hubs and reducing the number of its U.S. stations to 103 from 412.
DHL said it was making the cuts to improve profitability and 1to prepare the company for the economic challenges ahead.'"

Whatever way you slice it, this is good news for FedEx and UPS and their drivers that pickup and deliver packages on the ground in the U.S. It is bad news for the U.S. jobs picture and yet another indication that the economy is contracting.

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
I predicted this earlier this year when DHL ratified a Teamster contract calling for over $8 an hour increases over the next 5 years . No way was that going to happen .

late4dinner

Seasoned Expediter
I wouldn't worry too much about the trip packs. After all someone took care of them before DHL came along.

What concerns me is the thousands of little yellow vans that are going to look for a place to go. These drivers are going to need to find someplace that will take them.

iceroadtrucker

Veteran Expediter
Driver
you should get on the transflo train! Save alot of $$$ and worrying about if you will be able to find somewhere to drop off your bills.

The law

you say your the law????

Transflo train???

Save dollars???

Hey im just out here trying to make the money and everyone gots there hands out trying to take it away.

And i asked one thing the trip pack box who gona pick it up????\
geeeesssshhhh.

ericmoss37

Seasoned Expediter
DHL went out of business do to poor mangement leadership. They ran buildings with independent owners mix in with company employees. Their on time service was only 80% of US ground shipments. FedEx and UPS are 98% on time and thats the industry standard. DHL in one word was a mess and lacked a strong plan based on customer service. They have been losing money since they bought AirBorne Express. This has nothing to do with the economy. Just another failed business plan.

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
Fedex 98% on time...I know people thier job is just to collect refunds from Fedex for service failures....Feds lose a whack of money when it gets down rated from Express to regular cargo rate...

FIS53

Veteran Expediter
One thing you must remember is that dhl took over the mayne nicholas operations in north america (otherwise known as Loomis in some areas). The union (or some of it) came with that take over. Yes their operations did at one time include independant operations for hubs as I operated out of one but for another company. It had a on time rating of over 95% all the time (usually hitting 97-98%) which was better than the next largest terminal. But of course management at the corp hqtrs always wanted changes made so the owner finally gave it up and went strictly independant.
Rob

Dreamer

Administrator Emeritus
Charter Member
I dunno..they might make more money.. :) my son is making pretty good money with his pizza delivery job.. LOL.. when he goes back to school in Jan, his bank account may be higher than mine.. :)

People are having pity on him delivering and giving extra tips to help with gas!

Dale

cheri1122

Veteran Expediter
Driver
You spose they'd feel twice as sorry if the delivery guy showed up in a straight truck? :D
Not a good idea for a reefer, though....:eek:

Crazynuff

Veteran Expediter
Pizza delivery?

If pizza delivery drivers vote to ratify a Teamster contract I will no longer give them a tip . I can't picture former DHL drivers delivering pizza . They would have to actually come to the door instead of tossing the package in the bushes or in a puddle . Maybe they can go back to newspaper delivery .

simon says

Veteran Expediter
Charter Member
What is Transflo? How do they deliver,, etc. Presumably they have a website of similar name?
PS- No need to worry about little trucks- unless your company wants to stack up trucks like cordwood. Same for those who keep adding straights...This will not be ordinary recession. That is why I would be suspect of those who always talk of bad management, or "individual responsibility" as their first response to negative economic news. See the article on the home page- this is global...

Jack_Berry

Moderator Emeritus
transflo is a way of faxing your ppwk to the home office. it is subscription by carrier. no charge to you. pilot has transflo and it seems like everyother ta locations also. not at the j or petro.

you should have been told at orientation. ask a recruiter or the next pilot. ya know i think loves is also a tf location.

nightcreacher

Veteran Expediter
From what I've heard,UPS is going to get involved with the Trip Paks,and by the way,Trip Pak does more than just take your bills to the main office,if thats all that was needed,yes you could use trans flo.Fed Ex is also looking into this.