Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

OntarioVanMan

Retired Expediter
Owner/Operator
2ND degree murder. Have they been charged yet?

still under investigation.....one cop did comment tho.....they were greeted with a gun....so they shoot him....Ummmmm

well, he is in his home no less, by law allowed to have a gun....apparently in was night time...

first mistake, wrong address.....second mistake.....they over reacted when they saw the gun....they obviously didn't see it was the wrong guy....

skyraider

Veteran Expediter
US Navy
still under investigation.....one cop did comment tho.....they were greeted with a gun....so they shoot him....Ummmmm

well, he is in his home no less, by law allowed to have a gun....apparently in was night time...

first mistake, wrong address.....second mistake.....they over reacted when they saw the gun....they obviously didn't see it was the wrong guy....

This is bad. I do not have an answer, but the Police Chief will have lots of paperwork and he won't like that, plus law suits and more paperwork and attorneys, and state investigations, and internal affairs, and irate family members and it just give the cops another bad rap and the good policemen get , will you know, a rougher time.

AMonger

Veteran Expediter
This is bad. I do not have an answer, but the Police Chief will have lots of paperwork and he won't like that, plus law suits and more paperwork and attorneys, and state investigations, and internal affairs, and irate family members and it just give the cops another bad rap and the good policemen get , will you know, a rougher time.

That's not how it happens. The cops will have paid vacation for a while while a pretend investigation isn't conducted, long enough for the furor to die down and memories dim. Then there'll be a press conference at which it will be announced that the cops acted within department policy. It will be said that, while it's tragic that they were at the wrong house, the home owner brought it on himself by aggressively confronting police, and that whenever we mere mundanes encounter a cop we should, after genuflecting, of course, lay prostrate until told we may rise and tug our forelocks.

That's SOP.

blackpup

Veteran Expediter
Dangerous difficult job . I do wonder about the officers not identifying themselves. That said the deputies were looking for a suspect who was supposed to been in possession of a weapon.

I think Skyraider started a thread in the soapbox, with a link to Reason.com about this incident.

jimmy

Ragman

Veteran Expediter
Retired Expediter
Dangerous difficult job . I do wonder about the officers not identifying themselves. That said the deputies were looking for a suspect who was supposed to been in possession of a weapon.

While I usually support the police, this time I don't. These are just excuses.

I agree with AMonger. 2nd degree murder.

Eastex

Seasoned Expediter
Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door | Watch the video - Yahoo! News

So story goes...cops looking for dangerous man...knock on wrong door...another man opens door with a gun in hand....they shoot the guy.....the cops however did NOT identify themselves....weird circumstances....

Since I live out in the country, if it's after dark and you knock on my door I will have a pistol in my hand when I answer. I usually conceal it behind my back but it will be there. The cops overreacted and should be prosecuted for Manslaughter at the very least and should never be able to work in law enforcement again.